You're wasting an awful lot of time arguing against a seemingly invisible post.
Nobody here has called anyone stupid. Nobody here yet seems to have taken offense at anything. We're calmly discussing this issue; because I take a less-than-common viewpoint, you seem to be ascribing motivations to me that don't follow. It would be almost comical for me to be upset that these people are being "insulted" by being called stupid (which I'm not, because nobody's done that yet), while I turn around and call them liars and pretend that's better somehow.
I think you are, right, Joshua. But certain kinds of behaviour have been described with word several times:
#33 dann: Satanism is stupid enough as it is, and their particular brand of it is not any better than the rest, but it does not include raping children.
#40 dann: But they aren't witches, so it is stupid (and still not natural).
#40 dann: Simply telling them to grow up is cynical, arrogant and thus stupid.
#50 dann:
Only desperation, it says, and I tend to agree! So much, actually, that I suspect the CSM of being responsible for the stupid title that the journalist probably would not come up with.
# 73 Gurdur: What's with the stupid strawmen?
#118 dann: People know that this isn't right, it's something that they do not like to do, so they come up with a lot of stupid excuses.
#118 dann:
My point: Bundling these two very different stories together under the title Time to grow up is stupid. Pretending that superstition is in any way the cause of the wretched business in any of the two cases, starvation leading to abandoned children and statutory rape, is stupid.
#138 Athon: I agree that dann has poorly argued his case, and has used language that has clearly upset some people, but I would have thought some people would indeed be mature enough to not take affront at such a stupid thing.
#142 dann: It is actually very annoying when you behave like a school teacher and pretend that because you have asked a question that even the most stupid (but very well-behaved (which I’m not)) child would know the required answer to, then it automatically follows that that is the answer you’ll get.
#145 Athon: I guess for many years I also directed my aggression and emotion at people who followed superstition with such terrible results, feeling honestly that they were indeed ignorant or stupid.
#146 A WHOLE POST WITH MY, DANN’S, DEFINITION OF “STUPID”.
#147 dann: And will their aversion to listening to clever skeptics be due to stupidity, ignorance or the actual
knowledge that in the situation they find themselves in it won't do them any good?
#147 dann: These people don’t go to quacks because they are
stupid.
#148 articulett: My feelings towards the credulous (who are more often women like me) is more one of sympathy--I feel like their trust is so readily abused. And children too. And it has nothing at all to do with stupidity.
#148 articulett: And there isn't a single person on that video you'd call stupid.
#170 Slimething: I understand that you are quickly distancing yourself from that idiotic posit because it's so stupid but you did put it out there.
#193 Slimething: Really a stupid, simplistic worldview, dann.
#225 articulett: To me it sounds like "I'm skeptical of the skeptics...I'm just a victim here, and articulett et. al. are over-reacting...I'm clever and noble because I'm not calling the people stupid; I'm just calling them liars." No one else called them stupid either--or liars.
#225 articulett: If you don't get that, then maybe you are the "stupid" one.
#227 articulett: Are you following. Because if not. You CAN'T get it. It's not because others are mean or stupid or wrong or heartless--it's actually because you have a bit of those traits, and you are stubbornly refusing to acknowledge it.
That seems to be all the cases of the words stupid and stupidity in this thread. And even when articulett calls you a
“simpleton”, she says that you are
”being” on, and not that you
are one. About me, however, she doesn’t seem to be very squamish:
Dann revealed himself to be the fool when he went and posted his foolishness on the skeptoid thread
Go flame yourself, articulett!
I would like to add that when I say that
"These people (the terminally ill who are let down by the health care system)
don’t go to quacks because they are stupid", I would still call it stupid to go to a quack, i.e. the behaviour. The behaviour of politicians who save on health care, thus making cancer patients resort to quacks, is much worse than stupid.