Surviving family members are now overburdened with orphaned relatives. The belief in witchcraft was already present in the society. It may even have been an established norm in the society to use an accusation of witchcraft for any number of things such as jealousy, rivalry and so on. The belief is real. The motive for making the accusation may or may not be something the accuser is aware of. It's no surprise to see something like this pop up in these circumstances.
If these people genuinely believed their kids were witches, considering the number of them being kicked out for that reason, it logically follows that there would be an antecedent, in the form of some action being taken to deal with the problem of all these witches running around - and there isn't We're not talking about a couple-dozen throw aways that the community chooses to ignore. We're talking about a WHOLE LOT of kids.
Conversely, the very fact that not accepting an orphaned child places such a social stigma on a family simply supplies motive for inventing an excuse to boot them out.
My Dear Articulett: I didn't realize you had a reading comprehension problem. Maybe I should cut you a bit more slack.
BTW, that last bit of monkey poo you tossed ... was it fresh?
There is social stigma, which by the way has a self inflicted component. It isn't just that your neighbors will snub you, you may have your own guilt feelings. The expectation a sibling takes in orphaned nieces and nephews may run deep.If these people genuinely believed their kids were witches, considering the number of them being kicked out for that reason, it logically follows that there would be an antecedent, in the form of some action being taken to deal with the problem of all these witches running around - and there isn't We're not talking about a couple-dozen throw aways that the community chooses to ignore. We're talking about a WHOLE LOT of kids.
Conversely, the very fact that not accepting an orphaned child places such a social stigma on a family simply supplies motive for inventing an excuse to boot them out.
That is what I have been saying the whole time! Poverty breeds superstition!!!I got that wrong? You mean he's not saying that poverty breeds superstition?Gurdur said:You get two things wrong here; one is that Dann used the construction that poverty breeds superstition, which is to say that conditions of poverty greatly encourage the growth of superstition; ...
So, no, I haven’t softened my position since my opening post. Those were actually the words from my opening post:If Dann is saying that poverty contributes to the growth of already-established superstitions among the poor, due to superstition's handy ability to provide excuses for various problems, then I suspect he is correct to one degree or another. However, what he said was:I read from this that poverty is the only source of superstition. Otherwise how could fighting poverty possibly "do away with it"? Perhaps he has softened his position since the OP, or perhaps the OP was an exaggeration, which is why I asked him to summarize his current thoughts.Dann said:Why is it so hard for many skeptics to notice that poverty and misery breed superstition, an insight which makes it very obvious how to go about fighting superstition if you actually want to do away with it in an efficient manner?
Your way of twisting the meaning of my words, however, is a little bizarre. If, for instance, I had claimed that certain kinds of pollution breed (or in that context I would probably have used the word: cause) cancer and that this fact would make it very obvious how to go about fighting cancer if you actually want to do away with it in an efficient manner, instead of looking for new ways to treat people once they have got it, then I cannot see how this would imply that I neglected the existence of all other kinds of cancer-inducing agents. Can you, Paul? And I find it extremely difficult to understand how you come to your conclusion after your alleged reading of the whole thread where I said a number of times that I think that for instance Bush and Blair could not possibly be superstitious because they are poor since they definitely aren’t. OK?Why is it so hard for many skeptics to notice that poverty and misery breed superstition, an insight which makes it very obvious how to go about fighting superstition if you actually want to do away with it in an efficient manner?
Well, you certainly didn’t mention those who agree with my arguments when you referred to “people” as the reason for your intervention: “ People don't appear convinced …” Not just “some people”, including yourself? Or for that matter: "People who count ..,"? To me your statement does seem to ignore the positives ….I'm not ignoring those who agree with him. In fact, you could summarize his current thoughts if you'd like.Gurdur said:Seems odd you ignore the positives. Especially since Dann gave supporting evidence and you haven't even discussed it.
I am right when I assume that you would find it too simple to tell people in a situation like this that it is time to grow up?It is very complex.
Finally???! I have been saying the same thing over and over since my opening post. If you had read it, you probably would not feel so relieved that you have ‘finally’ made me admit (?) it again, would you?Oh, finally!
I think you ought to try, Slimething, but it probably depends: Which witch hunter are you talking about? If I say that asbestos causes cancer, I don’t think that I imply that I can cure a patient suffering from asbestos-induced lung cancer by eliminating asbestos from the workplace (which he no longer has), do I?So, dann, in your world, if I gave a witch hunter a million euros, said witch hunter would no longer be superstitious.
We haven’t? I’ve seen plenty, and I even happen to know a few personally. See post above!This is established, of course, because none of us have ever seen supersitious, wealthy people.
I think I am the one who has mentioned Bush and Blair a couple of times on this thread. Do you really think that Winchester is a much better argument?No Winchester House exists, for example.
No, you are right, Slimething, I haven’t been to as many poor countries as you, so I cannot.Really a stupid, simplistic worldview, dann. Poverty and misery contribute to a great many things. For your rant against skeptics to hold water, you have to establish causality. Of course, you would have been right if you could have established that but you can't.
Apologize to you for what? All of your ad homs?So, admit you were wrong. Apologize like a mature human would. Then you can go away and grow up a little.
An attempt to share. Isn't that cute.Why? ya' hungry?
Sorry, just giving Gurdur trouble about the wording of his sentence "You get two things wrong here; one is that Dann used the construction that poverty breeds superstition, ..." I should have used a smiley.Dann said:That is what I have been saying the whole time! Poverty breeds superstition!!!
So you're really saying that poverty is the only cause of superstition?So, no, I haven’t softened my position since my opening post. Those were actually the words from my opening post:
Why is it so hard for many skeptics to notice that poverty and misery breed superstition, an insight which makes it very obvious how to go about fighting superstition if you actually want to do away with it in an efficient manner?
The words "do away with it" mean that you can eliminate it completely, which implies that the cause you mentioned is the only cause. I guess you mean to say that you can do away with that amount of superstition that is caused by poverty. Of course, I still have no idea how you would do that.Your way of twisting the meaning of my words, however, is a little bizarre. If, for instance, I had claimed that certain kinds of pollution breed (or in that context I would probably have used the word: cause) cancer and that this fact would make it very obvious how to go about fighting cancer if you actually want to do away with it in an efficient manner, instead of looking for new ways to treat people once they have got it, then I cannot see how this would imply that I neglected the existence of all other kinds of cancer-inducing agents. Can you, Paul?
I saw that, but it seemed to contradict your OP. Now I realize that your OP sounded much more black and white than you meant.And I find it extremely difficult to understand how you come to your conclusion after your alleged reading of the whole thread where I said a number of times that I think that for instance Bush and Blair could not possibly be superstitious because they are poor since they definitely aren’t. OK?
Sorry, I did not mean for "people" to imply "everyone."Well, you certainly didn’t mention those who agree with my arguments when you referred to “people” as the reason for your intervention: “ People don't appear convinced …” Not just “some people”, including yourself?
It was your wording "... if you actually want to do away with it in an efficient manner?" I'm sorry my analysis of your position was superficial.But back to my main problem with your intervention, Paul. Would you please explain to me again how you come to the conclusion that I think that "poverty is the only source of superstition"?
The words "do away with it" mean that you can eliminate it completely, which implies that the cause you mentioned is the only cause. I guess you mean to say that you can do away with that amount of superstition that is caused by poverty. Of course, I still have no idea how you would do that.
I'm way more pessimistic about eradicating poverty than you are, I guess. I'd focus on education.Roboramma said:I think he's saying that while superstition may have many causes, the most obvious and the cause most easy to do something about is poverty. So if we intend to "do away with" superstition, the first course of action is to focus on poverty.
dann said:Why is it so hard for many skeptics to notice that poverty and misery breed superstition, an insight which makes it very obvious how to go about fighting superstition if you actually want to do away with it in an efficient manner?
Weird.So you're really saying that poverty is the only cause of superstition?
A massive strawman.The words "do away with it" mean that you can eliminate it completely, which implies that the cause you mentioned is the only cause.
I would say that was fairly obvious to most.I guess you mean to say that you can do away with that amount of superstition that is caused by poverty.
uh huh.Sorry, I did not mean for "people" to imply "everyone."
Let's leave it at that, Gurdur. I think it is clear to (almost) everybody that if, for instance, you said that poverty breeds discontent and that the way to stop discontent would therefore be to put a stop to poverty, nobody would assume that you can't get p***** off when Sylvia Browne appears on TV.How stunningly illogical.
No, but I think it is the major one.So you're really saying that poverty is the only cause of superstition?
I don't think that you can talk about a certain "amount" caused by poverty: 85% poverty, 10% ignorance and 5% defective genes. But I will try to explain that again in detail within a couple of days. (See my sig line about the "condition which needs illusions.")The words "do away with it" mean that you can eliminate it completely, which implies that the cause you mentioned is the only cause. I guess you mean to say that you can do away with that amount of superstition that is caused by poverty.
I'm sorry if I did not make myself clear enough from the beginning.It was your wording "... if you actually want to do away with it in an efficient manner?" I'm sorry my analysis of your position was superficial.
~~ Paul
Really? How many are there. What is a "whole lot"? What are your sources? And you've concluded that none of them actually believe in witches, eh? They just want to get rid of the kids and then when someone asks them why?--they say..."uh--witchcraft...the kid was acting nutso, I swear." Interesting theory you have there. And such confidence! So you've logically concluded that there would be some sort of "antecedent" with all these witches running around--but since there is no antecedent (that you know of anyhow)...then there really must not be a whole lot of witches, right? Oh but you said there was a WHOLE LOT of witches... oh... I get it... because there is no "antecedent" (that you know of)...you have brilliantly deduced that the only people claiming that their kids were witches are the kids interviewed after the fact. Wait...Er... you read some other article and determined they interviewed kid-abandoning adults and asked them why they abandoned their kids and they said (desperately searching for a reason)"the kid was a witch!" And how big was this poll? Don't you think we ought to know a little more before we go sending off our dollars and food baskets to the Catholic orphanage?
Dann said:Why is it so hard for many skeptics to notice that poverty and misery breed superstition, an insight which makes it very obvious how to go about fighting superstition if you actually want to do away with it in an efficient manner?
I guessed you missed the "do away with it" part.Gurdur said:Weird.
Dann says poverty breeds superstition. IOW, plain English, superstition will be far more present with poverty than without it.
You, Paul, then say "you're really saying that poverty is the only cause of superstition?".
How stunningly illogical.
Is there something about the definition of breeds that includes the fact that the breeder can't be the sole cause?Tell me, Paul, how is Dann supposed to be claiming that poverty is the only cause of superstition, when he says poverty breeds superstition?
I can't find the word often in what Dann said.I do trust you can see the difference (just to remind you of actual cause and effect) between:
X -> often Y
and
if Y, then X
I did not know that the word breeds really means implies.I mean, trying to get from even "X -> Y (let alone X -> often Y)" to then "if Y then X" is a very obvious logical fallacy, Affirmation of the consequent.
Apparently it was, although I did not realize it until Dann clarified what he meant.A massive strawman.
Possibly, yes.I would say that was fairly obvious to most.
Finally???! I have been saying the same thing over and over since my opening post. If you had read it, you probably would not feel so relieved that you have ‘finally’ made me admit (?) it again, would you?
I think you ought to try
Which witch hunter are you talking about?
If I say that asbestos causes cancer, I don’t think that I imply that I can cure a patient suffering from asbestos-induced lung cancer by eliminating asbestos from the workplace (which he no longer has), do I?
We haven’t? I’ve seen plenty, and I even happen to know a few personally. See post above!
I think I am the one who has mentioned Bush and Blair a couple of times on this thread. Do you really think that Winchester is a much better argument?
Apologize to you for what? All of your ad homs?
That's good, Slimething.Of course, I don't expect you to apologize to me for calling me a liar.