That is a law that you seem to respect: If you are hungry, you are not allowed to eat bread that doesn't belong to you!
Well, that's one point where I wouldn't be adamant about obeying the law.
I'm sure the bakers in your community will be happy to know this.
I've not argued civil disobediance yet.
Of course it is, but I would still not expose a friend on a diet to the scent of donuts fresh from the oven if I could prevent it. I also would not tempt a recovering alcoholic with a bottle of booze. That still doesn't mean that I don't think that the onus is on the alcoholic.
Such is your right, and you sound like a pretty good friend. But do you think it is just to force all your neighbors to eschew donuts in your friend's presence, despite their wishes? Or to deny alcohol to everyone because some people have a problem with it?
What I said was: "In the case of paedophilia the sexual urge as such is physical, that children are the object of your desire, however, isn’t, it’s a perversion of the sexual instincts."
It, i.e. paedophilia, resides between the ears, not between the legs. The sexual urges are usually aimed at a sexually mature member of the opposite other sex, and of course there's an evolutionary advantage in this: You don't procreate by having sex with bicycle seats or children.
But the sexual urges are very flexible in the sense that they can be directed at objects not 'intended' by nature. A very common variation is homosexuality where you desire members of your own sex, apparently connected to variations in the hormone levels of the amniotic fluid during pregnancy. I don't really know. (And I don't really care.)
Other variations, perversions, appear to be the result of deficient self-confidence, probably due to nurture rather than nature.
"Perversions" reside between the ears as well. Including the judgement that they are "perverse", but that usually happens between a different set of ears.
And "nature" intends nothing.
Then don't ask. I'll get back to your "freedom of expression" and other freedoms.
Thanks. Let's do.
And where exactly do I "equate" them? Would "usual" have been a better word? Or "most frequent"?
Those are better words, yes.
Bicycle seats, for instance?
As an extreme example, yes. I was thinking more prosaically, like the aforementioned shopgirl, et al.
Yes, I do. And sometimes a shoe may come in handy when you need a hammer, but haven't got one. What is your point?
That in the absence of explicit material substitutions can and will be made with unexplicit and sexually neutral material. This seems to show that fantasy does not need or depend on "encouragement", and it raises doubts it even exacerbates them.
I was hoping you would be a little more detailed.
As long as the end user actually buys whatever the 'creator' wants to sell. That is the reason why the 'creator' is very interested in meeting the demand of the buyer, i.e. his or her (solvent!) needs.
I'm not really sure what you mean by "solvent" needs. The creator is only concerned with the purchaser's needs as far as is required to sell the most product. There is no benefit to the creator to specifically cater to a specific, individualised demand, unless he is doing custom work. in fact, excessively catering to individualised desires can actually be counterproductive as far as sales are concerned.
For example, a creator of pornography is going to create content featuring young-looking girls, or girls wearing a plaid skirt, or girls in stockings and high heels. They are not going to worry much about the pattern of the tartan, or the colour of the heels, or the hair colour of the girl, even though this may be of concern to the end user. There may be buyers that only want to see girls dressed in the uniform of St. Discordia's Home for Wayward Girls, but catering to this market alone might hinder sales to those buyers that don't find them as desirable, for whatever reason.
This is where you find the purpose of pornography.
No, you are wrong. Find me one pornographer that is more interested in making sure guys get off than he is in the bottom line.
Dude, a pimp isn't interested in whether you went away happy, just that you paid and went away.
You seem to confuse the issue with what characterizes any kind of commodity. Utility value as opposed to what you get when you exchange it for other commodities or money. (As if you were not aware of the difference!)
I'm not. Please explain.
Probably. Does it not sound like a fair description of mainstream porn?
One girl, one guy? No.
I don't know. The decider, maybe?
But in outlawing certain types of pornography, aren't you attempting to remove that right from the decider and putting it in the hands of a governmental authority?
There actually is one, an arbiter? I didn't even know that.
Well, you are acting as one, when you declare that monogamus hetero is "fairly harmless". There are people who disagree, and would consider this attitude dangerous to the health and welfare of society at large.
I'll see if I can come up with a link or two.
Please do.
How the hell do you reason when you claim that I'm treading on civil rights, freedom of expression etc.?
How else are you going to accomplish the goal inherent in "the fantasy of having sex with children should be discouraged" without getting into legislating people's thoughts?
And where do I claim that anything would "vanish overnight"
You didn't. I was making a point.
More of my alleged infringements of the catalogue of human rights ... Where do you find them?
The one in question is pretty well summed up in
Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
Gurdur already dealt with this one?
Badly. Ignorantly. I'd be interested in your take.
No. Do you think that her books encourage people to believe in psychics?
Probably. Does she not have that right?
I wouldn't encourage 'superstitiously challenged' friends of mine to read the crap.
Would you criminalise it?
And who is trying to control how he thinks?
People whio want to use the law to "discourage" his fantasies.
I know that the title of this thread was "The Edges Of Child Pornography: What Should Be Legal, What Shouldn't?" However, my very first words in it were:
I.e. if paedophilia was legal, I would still be against it!
So would I. But "exposure to child pornography" != "pedophilic action", and "explicit depictions of sex with children != pornography".
We can punish people for performing the actions of a pedophile (whether he is or not) but we shouldn't for just
being a pedophile.
OK?! I might even try to prevent a paedophile from having sex with children, thus infringing on his inalienable rights. Right!?
No one has a right to break the law. If you disagree with a law, you may certainly violate it to make a statement- it is called "civil disobediance"- but you must be prepared to accept the consequences.
And in any case, I am not arguing in favour of f[rule 8]g children. Thinking it, talking about it, lobbying for the right to do it, writing a story about it, drawing a picture of it, creating a 3d computer model of it, describing it in great detail at the neighborhood pub or the internet- yes. Anyone should be free to do any of those things. But not actually doing it.