Let us take a look at the argument in the second half of the article about Africans who refuse to
grow up:
Another example from Africa:
In Zimbabwe, John Munkombwe, 29, has been charged with having sex three times with an under-age girl, and impregnating her. He offered the court the explanation that the girl had in fact slept with goblins. Munkombwe has denied the charge of statutory rape. He told the court:
I have been tried before in the chief's court but I have maintained my innocence, and I still deny the charges. I have heard it said that she was impregnated by goblins. I certainly don't know her.
What makes this of interest to us, is that Zimbabwe is a country steeped in supernatural beliefs. As evidence, consider that the country just recently changed their old colonial law to now recognize the existence of witchcraft. Folks, this is no way to join the community of international nations. This is not only standing still, it’s moving backward – rapidly.
http://www.randi.org/jr/2006-12/120806landmark.html#i11
What is the point here?
A man is charged with statutory rape. Not unlike most perpetrators in the enlightened world of industrialized countries with a market economy he denies the charges held against him. In case of actual rape the accused often use the
she-made-me-do-it excuse, but since this guy is accused of having sex with and impregnating a minor, that is not an option and he resorts to the
I-never-met-her-and-she-made-up-the-charges excuse instead. What made her do it and who is the lucky father? The
goblins!!
What makes this case relevant to the skeptics? The
same goblins!
If only John had said in court that he had sex with a minor because it was the
rational thing to do, he would never have been quoted on a website for skeptics! Or if he had behaved like any other decent civilized rapist and accused the
victim of being the one that seduced
him (her provocative way of carrying a school bag) he would never have offered them this opportunity to point out that his country is not fit to join the community of civilized international nations whose rapists are able to distinguish between rational and superstitious excuses! (And, no, I don’t advocate rape, be it statutory or not.)
In a very disgusting case in Denmark right now a man in the town of Tønder is accused of abusing his two very young daughters (3 and 5 years old when it started) sexually and hiring one of them out to a number of men. Several have already been convicted. Today the headlines of one newspaper tells us that he is also a member of a cult of
Satanists.
A few years ago Ole Wolf, the leader of this cult, lied about me and Claus Larsen in his Forum and prevented us from refuting the lies. His wife, Amina, also a leading member, complained about me in a letter to my employer because I had asked a student at my school, a satanist whom I knew as a very sensible young man in most respects, what (the hell) was wrong with these people.
Now, of course, they are very busy trying to
distance themselves from the rapist in Tønder.
However, even though I have no reason to like any of these guys, I would not recommend that the Danish skeptics write an article linking Satanism with the incestuous rapist pimp in Tønder. Satanism is stupid enough as it is, and their particular brand of it is not any better than the rest, but it does not include raping children. Neither does superstition in Zimbabwe, I think, so why write an article linking the two just because a man accused of statutory rape uses a reference to witchcraft to get off the hook? And why use the patronizing headline
Time to grow up? in an article about two incidents in Africa? To me it sounds too much like
The White Man’s Burden ….
Unless, of course, James Randi makes up for it by writing an article in his newsletter on Friday, blaming Denmark that its laws and constitution recognize the existence of God and that the country thus does not really belong in a community of civilized nations.
By the way, this might even be one of the many points where he and I would tend to agree!
