• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Tennessee: Execution of Christa Pike stayed!

I also note that the dosage used in the US for execution is a lot less than used in Switzerland for assisted suicide (5g compared to 10 g, which was later revised to 15 g).

And I assume there wasn't a numpty who managed to miss a vein...
We get told all the time that a few grains of fentanyl is fatal to an elephant. Can't they just give a spoonful to these mother ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊? It's cheap and plentiful. Free, if they use confiscated stuff.

More seriously, I wish they would largely just stop killing people, at least for anything less than the most slam dunk, no question of guilt murderers that keep trying to kill even in prison.
 
I am thoroughly pissed that they botched this DP of all cases. I am honestly not one way or other on the Death penalty but in this case, she is the poster killer for DP. This was a very brutal murder. She tortured her victim for at least 30 minutes but it's possible it was more like an hour before poor Colleen finally died. Christa bashed her head in with a rock in the end and then took a piece of her skull as a souvenir and carried it around with her until she was caught. Has never showed any kind of remorse or guilt for anything she has done. But the main reason I wanted to see this particular execution carried out is because she is still a danger to guards and fellow inmates. While incarcerated this fine citizen was caught planning to break out and also tried to kill another inmate.
 
We get told all the time that a few grains of fentanyl is fatal to an elephant. Can't they just give a spoonful to these mother ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊? It's cheap and plentiful. Free, if they use confiscated stuff.

More seriously, I wish they would largely just stop killing people, at least for anything less than the most slam dunk, no question of guilt murderers that keep trying to kill even in prison.

A bit of me, as one who used to do over-dose assessment for a living, has been wondering how the Tennessee authorities ◊◊◊◊◊◊ this one up when so many folk manage to die from deliberate and accidental ODs of many different chemicals.

I can kill myself with certainly one of my prescribed meds without any problems.

This is also why I wondered about someone ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ up finding a vein - I have seen this done.

ETA For avoidance of doubt I am agin capital punishment.
 
Last edited:
I am thoroughly pissed that they botched this DP of all cases. I am honestly not one way or other on the Death penalty but in this case, she is the poster killer for DP. This was a very brutal murder. She tortured her victim for at least 30 minutes but it's possible it was more like an hour before poor Colleen finally died. Christa bashed her head in with a rock in the end and then took a piece of her skull as a souvenir and carried it around with her until she was caught.
Has never showed any kind of remorse or guilt for anything she has done. But the main reason I wanted to see this particular execution carried out is because she is still a danger to guards and fellow inmates. While incarcerated this fine citizen was caught planning to break out and also tried to kill another inmate.
That's not true, though, is it?

"Think back to the worst mistake you made as a reckless teenager. Well, mine happened to be huge, unforgettable and ruined countless lives. I was a mentally ill 18-year-old kid. It took me numerous years to even realise the gravity of what I'd done. Even more to accept how many lives I affected. I took the life of someone's child, sister, friend. It sickens me now to think I had the ability to commit such a crime."

 
That's not true, though, is it?

"Think back to the worst mistake you made as a reckless teenager. Well, mine happened to be huge, unforgettable and ruined countless lives. I was a mentally ill 18-year-old kid. It took me numerous years to even realise the gravity of what I'd done. Even more to accept how many lives I affected. I took the life of someone's child, sister, friend. It sickens me now to think I had the ability to commit such a crime."

"Hey murderer! Anything to say to try and work up sympathy to hustle up a stay of execution?"
 
I didn't say you said it was refutation of my post.
Ah. Just making random comments about what different things would or wouldn't refute? We all do that. Watch: "If you don't believe X, that is not a refutation of Y, which is entirely unrelated and wasnt mentioned and certainly not implied"".
It was somehow an answer to my post, though.
An opinion that the 'show of remorse' wouldn't likely be taken seriously by anyone, anywhere, and was most likely entirely self-serving, as befits a ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ psychopathic murderer.
Feeling OK?
Bonzer.
 
This is how vets put down pet animals. It really is euthanasia. They just go to sleep and stop breathing. How can you mess it up to that extent?

I don't know what the shelf-life of pentobarbitone is, but surely they could get some fresh stock? Try a veterinary wholesaler. I suspect it's related to something I read once, that doctors won't assist in this barbarity, so they're relying on poorly trained lay staff who have virtually no experience to do the venepuncture. That will go wrong, every time. It's not a skill you can acquire by watching a demonstration.

The French had the right idea when they invented the guillotine. If you really must act like a completely barbarous country.
 
Barbaric, sadistic, and typical of the right wing mindset.

I saw an item about the current Magatoid candidate for governor in Tennessee now promising to
bring back the electric chair if she gets in.
 
They do heart transplants and stuff. Seems like that procedure could be stripped down and adapted?

Step 1. Knock the mother ◊◊◊◊◊◊ out. Pretty sure they know how to do this, as heart transplant people don't routinely wake up in the middle of surgery.

Step 2. Remove/disconnect something essential for living. Drain the blood, if you want to keep it cheap and simple, like in the $50 range. It's basically a big syringe, and a spackle bucket. Or maybe remove the brain? Pretty sure that would be hard to miss.
 
This is how vets put down pet animals. It really is euthanasia. They just go to sleep and stop breathing. How can you mess it up to that extent?

I don't know what the shelf-life of pentobarbitone is, but surely they could get some fresh stock? Try a veterinary wholesaler. I suspect it's related to something I read once, that doctors won't assist in this barbarity, so they're relying on poorly trained lay staff who have virtually no experience to do the venepuncture. That will go wrong, every time. It's not a skill you can acquire by watching a demonstration.

The French had the right idea when they invented the guillotine. If you really must act like a completely barbarous country.
(y)Our 12 yo springer went very peacefully and quietly, and quickly, in July. As did all our previous pets when their time came. Vets seem to know what they are doing.

And 3 tears ago my 88 year old mother had an equally peaceful departure with the assistance of MAID.

It's a good thing that many doctors won't participate in executions, but surely the USA has no shortage of doctors who agree with capital punishment.

And many years ago when my RN wife was first getting certified in starting IV's I let her practice on me til she got it right. She was good and got it rather quickly. Maybe those lay staff could find similar volunteers to practice on.

I have previously heard that supply of appropriate drugs to the penal industry is an issue. Maybe they are just winging it with whatever they can get their hands on.
 
but surely the USA has no shortage of doctors who agree with capital punishment

Possibly, but maybe Tennessee does. I just heard on the news that the doc who administered the drugs hadn't inserted an IV line in a decade.

I think I also read somewhere that Pike had difficult veins.
 
In my opinion the difficulty of getting into a human antebrachial vein is grossly exaggerated. I can get there in kittens. Kittens who don't want whatever it is I'm peddling. Human veins are a piece of cake, and if there is blood running in the vein it is patent. "Blown" is the term for a vein that has just been punctured and is leaking blood into the subcutaneous tissue. That makes it hard to get, sure. But it's something you caused yourself, five minutes ago. It will seal over and heal pretty quickly. Nobody has "blown veins" as a permanent characteristic.

Wee story. My senior partner was due to have a blood test, and he trotted off to the doctor's surgery to have it done. He came back with wee circular elastoplasts dotted around the general area of the flexor aspect of his elbow. No blood had been collected - by the nurse, not a doctor. He said, sod this, you do it. So I did. Copious quantities of the stuff, first time of asking. His vein was extremely easy to get. He looked at the needle puncture and said, tattoo a bull's-eye round that! The nurse's efforts were nowhere near. I have literally no idea what she thought she was aiming for.
 
Last edited:
From what I can gather about the case, Ms. Pike had been the victim of sexual abuse. "Growing up, Christa suffered an “almost unbearably abusive background,” according to Dr. Jonathan Pincus, Professor of Neurology at Georgetown University. A victim of child sexual abuse, multiple rapes, and parental abandonment and neglect, Christa first attempted to take her own life when she was twelve. When she was seventeen, a stranger grabbed her by the side of the road, threw her down, and violently raped her...Christa was born with brain damage brought about by her mother’s use of alcohol during pregnancy. From infancy, she suffered seizures, and as she grew up, she struggled to follow instructions and control her impulses"

Also, one of the fellow perpetrators, a female who acted as a lookout, testified against the two main perpetrators and received a sentence of time served and probation. The other perpetrator, a male, was seventeen and received a life sentence with the possibility of parole.
 
In my opinion the difficulty of getting into a human antebrachial vein is grossly exaggerated. I can get there in kittens. Kittens who don't want whatever it is I'm peddling. Human veins are a piece of cake, and if there is blood running in the vein it is patent. "Blown" is the term for a vein that has just been punctured and is leaking blood into the subcutaneous tissue. That makes it hard to get, sure. But it's something you caused yourself, five minutes ago. It will seal over and heal pretty quickly. Nobody has "blown veins" as a permanent characteristic.

Wee story. My senior partner was due to have a blood test, and he trotted off to the doctor's surgery to have it done. He came back with wee circular elastoplasts dotted around the general area of the flexor aspect of his elbow. No blood had been collected - by the nurse, not a doctor. He said, sod this, you do it. So I did. Copious quantities of the stuff, first time of asking. His vein was extremely easy to get. He looked at the needle puncture and said, tattoo a bull's-eye round that! The nurse's efforts were nowhere near. I have literally no idea what she thought she was aiming for.
IV drug users such as heroin addicts have hard to find veins that might be described as blown veins. Maybe Pike had been shooting up for years, or maybe whoever told the media about "blown veins" used that terminology in error or to cover up someone's inadeqacy.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom