Gawdzilla Sama
TImeToSweepTheLeg
I don't go places I wouldn't want my sainted Mom following me.
Not on THIS computer.
Not on THIS computer.
Which is what we are talking about. We hear a lot of yap yap.about anonymity, and it's 99% theatre. You are ultimately only anonymous from like your wife casually looking at your devices history.Neither is a VPN, since it propagates your cookies and everything else, even if you go through (just) a VPN. For example, I'm still logged into Crunchyroll or for that matter this site, even if I go through a VPN that says I'm in the USA.
OK, I'm willing to try it. Where is that setting?You're not following the linear time thing. I know, it's tricky.
*First*, it was set to delete browsing data. *Much later*, the feature was enabled, and the 'we totally don't store this' data miraculously reappeared. It was absolutely being stored, despite the assurances that it wasn't.
As I was saying, if you actually want anonymity, use TOR. (Though even that led to some people being identified in a sting operation once.) VPNs are mostly just for accessing geo-restricted content.Which is what we are talking about. We hear a lot of yap yap.about anonymity, and it's 99% theatre. You are ultimately only anonymous from like your wife casually looking at your devices history.
Been a while so this is from memory: open a new private tab. UpperOK, I'm willing to try it. Where is that setting?
As I was saying, I already did many years ago. Onion routers make any kind of browsing laborious, IMO.As I was saying, if you actually want anonymity, use TOR. (Though even that led to some people being identified in a sting operation once.) VPNs are mostly just for accessing geo-restricted content.
Well, I'm on the PC, and I can't find it at a quick look.Been a while so this is from memory: open a new private tab. Upper left (on mobile anyway) is a settings menu.
In fairness (as I've already said) it's been a while since I bothered with it and it may have changed. Certainly there is a new disclaimer kind of window when a private tab is opened that didn't used to show (just found that out earlier today).
Unless you're trying to see content that's blocked in your country, then no, they're not.As I was saying, I already did many years ago. Onion routers make any kind of browsing laborious, IMO.
But what we are talking about is what these things do, and are they worth it? I think the answer is "they do almost nothing, so probably not".
A VPN also hides your real IP address, which is actually helpful from the anonymity standpoint, and encrypts your browsing, which again, seems to be another legit safeguard.Unless you're trying to see content that's blocked in your country, then no, they're not.
It doesn't claim to be. It claims to be private.Then it's not even nominally anonymous
Maybe (and I have my misgivings there), but again the question is: what are you using it FOR? What exactly is the threat you're willing to combat? So far you've been going off about how it saves stuff on your computer, but unless the DOJ gets a warrant to confiscate your device, that's irrelevant. Nobody else is going to decrypt your disc (and you can stack that twice as high) to see what sites you've been looking at. I mean, I'm not going to speculate, but again, if you're THAT paranoid, just use TOR. Yeah, it's slow and inconvenient, but it was designed to hide your tracks. That's the price you pay for THAT. For more mundane needs, like watching anime from another country or not wanting to see Google ads for your previous searches, a half-assed solution like just using a VPN or private mode works just fine. Google or Crunchyroll ain't gonna haul your device to a forensics lab. Hell, just use adblock to block the ads, and you're golden.A VPN also hides your real IP address, which is actually helpful from the anonymity standpoint, and encrypts your browsing, which again, seems to be another legit safeguard.
It doesn't even claim that, making it crystal.clear that the only thing that anyone would call remotely private is that you're only being private from your own device because your 'private' activity doesn't show on your regular history.It doesn't claim to be. It claims to be private.
Or from a site identifying you by cookies. But otherwise, yeah, that's about the extent of it.It doesn't even claim that, making it crystal.clear that the only thing that anyone would call remotely private is that you're only being private from your own device because your 'private' activity doesn't show on your regular history.
I dont recall saying there was a threat. I recall saying that it is a joke, and yet another example of dumb ◊◊◊◊ people believe.Maybe (and I have my misgivings there), but again the question is: what are you using it FOR? What exactly is the threat you're willing to combat?
Then that is the threat. Or call it a problem to solve if you're more comfortable with that.I dont recall saying there was a threat. I recall saying that it is a joke, and yet another example of dumb ◊◊◊◊ people believe.
What interests i have are more aligned with not having profiles built on me, as retailers actually study what the highest amount you will pay for something will be, and cater your views to that. No profile, no catering.
Well, I'm bored and drunk, so I engaged with the delusional imaginary scenarios you pulled out of yours to have another fake outrageThe rest you just pulled straight out of your ass, so I'm not much interested in crossing swords with your imagination.
I.make a pretty big distinction between threats that I am.raging and battling against, and mild nuisances. YMMV.Then that is the threat. Or call it a problem to solve if you're more comfortable with that.
They generally dont see my CC#s. I use old school PayPal, or one-time CC#s my bank offers as a free online shopping convenience.But then how do you deal with retailers connecting by card number and shipping address?
If they were relying on my shipping address, God help them to make sense of any of it. I use it for personal and work deliveries, as does my wife and our adult kids who use it as a permanent address. I dare them to pick up usable buying patterns, LOL.Your IP is the least of your problems there. Your IP can change every day. Your credit card and shipping address don't. Any half-competent data miner would identify you as the same person in a second. (Which, granted, from my experience, is a stretch. Most programmers are not even a quarter competent)
See, that's what I'm talking about. I have invoked... let's see, 6 and carry the 3... exactly zero hypotheticals, and expressed zero outrage over anything. Maybe I could get a hit of what you're drinking? Sounds like some good ◊◊◊◊!Well, I'm bored and drunk, so I engaged with the delusional imaginary scenarios you pulled out of yours to have another fake outrage![]()
Well, it's SOMETHING you're trying to solve, no matter how you call it. You can still start from there when figuring out a solution. That's all I was saying.I.make a pretty big distinction between threats that I am.raging and battling against, and mild nuisances. YMMV.
They can still remember you by that banking info, even if it's Paypal.They generally dont see my CC#s. I use old school PayPal, or one-time CC#s my bank offers as a free online shopping convenience.
Compare to whom, and based on what sample? The imaginary people in your head?If retailers are using my info to be able to charge me more, they are failing miserably. Nobody scores better deals than yours truly.
They will anyway, in case it hits any of you. Plus, they still have your MAC address anyway, which is different from your wife's or your kids', and different login cookies unless you all use the same computer. And I guess you COULD have given them all the login and 2FA for your Paypal account, but otherwise they could correlate that. If they wanted to. So, yeah, placebo effect,If they were relying on my shipping address, God help them to make sense of any of it. I use it for personal and work deliveries, as does my wife and our adult kids who use it as a permanent address. I dare them to pick up usable buying patterns, LOL.
No, you invoked things pulled out of your ass, with zero evidence, zero base in actual programming experience, zero everything else. Even zero understanding your browser. Zero understanding how even e-commerce works, if you think they just want to overcharge you, as opposed to advertise to you. Just you BELIEVE that it gets you better deals. As usual. That's actually worse than hypotheticals.See, that's what I'm talking about. I have invoked... let's see, 6 and carry the 3... exactly zero hypotheticals, and expressed zero outrage over anything. Maybe I could get a hit of what you're drinking? Sounds like some good ◊◊◊◊!
Uh, what? MAC addresses aren't transmitted over TCP/IP; only IP addresses are.They will anyway, in case it hits any of you. Plus, they still have your MAC address anyway, which is different from your wife's or your kids', and different login cookies unless you all use the same computer.
Your ISP can see it. Any WiFi, including in some cafe can see it. Plugins can see it. It used to be all the rage to have the user download some ActiveX thingie that then sent the MAC back. Or really any site that requires you use some plugin or player or anything of any kind.Uh, what? MAC addresses aren't transmitted over TCP/IP; only IP addresses are.