Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Re
And vice versa. Your point?
My humble civilian armchair general's take (no military experience or studies, just many hours in military strategy games and an interest in the topic and in the very special military operation):The problem is, that it doesn't really matter where the frontline is. Even if Ukraine would be able to push all russian occupiers back to russia, the war would continue just a few hundred kilomters to the east. And the ICBMs and drones would continue to terrorize ukrainian cities and citizens as well.
Even without any frontline at all, russia could just continue to send ICBMs and drones to Ukraine.
We benefited by being the last one standing. After the war was over we switched our hugely expanded industrial base to consumer products and traded with the world, and we became very wealthy*. That's how the usa profited. Its complety wrong to categorize this as the reason we participated in ww2, it depends on FDR somehow having super natural prescience. If profit was our main motivation we would've just sold arms to the highest bidder.You have that part of your US history completely wrong. To the point that whatever it is you have, it would be a mistake to call it "US history".
The truth is that the USA shouldered a substantial amount of the costs of waging the war at a scale that could actually defeat the axis. "Lend-lease was financial aid, not a loan. Billions of American dollars, given away and never repaid. Stalin didn't pay cost plus a profit margin for the supplies he received from the US. He begged for donations, and got generously served. America had the resources to cover not only its own war costs, but also much of the war costs of its allies, and it did so even to the point of strict rationing at home. Yes, Americans drastically reduced consumption of luxuries and even necessities, in order to ensure that Great Britain had what it needed to stay in the fight.
Nobody paid America to join the alliance against Nazi Germany. Quite the opposite: America paid billions to keep the other Allies alive.
ETA: Wait, did you seriously believe all this time that America's participation in WW2 was a for-profit enterprise?
So what's your solution?The problem is, that it doesn't really matter where the frontline is. Even if Ukraine would be able to push all russian occupiers back to russia, the war would continue just a few hundred kilomters to the east. And the ICBMs and drones would continue to terrorize ukrainian cities and citizens as well.
Even without any frontline at all, russia could just continue to send ICBMs and drones to Ukraine.
Nobody paid us to join the war. We didn't join the war to turn a profit. We didn't join the war to enjoy the long-term benefits of turbocharging our economy. Nobody paid us back, quid pro quo, for our contributions.We benefited by being the last one standing.
I hope you meant that as a general comment. Because I don't subscribe to that opinion. And I more or less literally said we didnt join the war for profit.But sure, if you need to tell yourself and others that the US joined WW2 out of a mercenary profit motivation, I guess I can't stop you.
And Ukraine can return fire, hopefully soon with it's own ballistic missiles.The problem is, that it doesn't really matter where the frontline is. Even if Ukraine would be able to push all russian occupiers back to russia, the war would continue just a few hundred kilomters to the east. And the ICBMs and drones would continue to terrorize ukrainian cities and citizens as well.
Even without any frontline at all, russia could just continue to send ICBMs and drones to Ukraine.
I read it as you trying to rebut my claim that the US didn't benefit from joining (and winning) the war. This was not a claim I ever made. Safe-Keeper was under the misapprehension that the US contributed men and material to the war effort on a lending-for-profit basis. Which is absolutely wrong. The US benefited from the same peace dividend as everyone else. They didn't collect loan repayments plus interest on the misleadingly-named "lend-lease" program.I hope you meant that as a general comment. Because I don't subscribe to that opinion. And I more or less literally said we didnt join the war for profit.
Again, nope.Safe-Keeper was under the misapprehension that the US contributed men and material to the war effort on a lending-for-profit basis.
Fair enough. I'll stipulate that you didn't know about lend-lease.Again, nope.
Why would they need ICBM's in the first place?
You've got absolutely no reason to believe that, but you do you.Fair enough. I'll stipulate that you didn't know about lend-lease.
Ukraine doesn't need ICBMs. That was the point of my post.Why would they need ICBM's in the first place?
... and the actual Nazis in Germany are going to do everything they can to help Russia. Their program says: Drop support of Ukraine, drop sanctions against Russia, reintroduce Russian as a course in school.I'm stunned that Putin accuses Ukrainians of being Nazi's while doing everything he can to help the actual Nazis in Germany.
Because being a nazi is often the adult equivalent of a toddler's "I don't know what I want but I want it now!!"It's a pretty sad indictment when Nazis can't even get being Nazi right.