JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
How does that work in a discussion forum if someone does not take up the contrary position?The point is to examine whether the claim is justified, not to find a particular person to argue with.
How does that work in a discussion forum if someone does not take up the contrary position?The point is to examine whether the claim is justified, not to find a particular person to argue with.
No. I'm examining the position itself, whether or not anyone here defends it.Do you expect anyone here to defend that position?
So what are your conclusions?No. I'm examining the position itself, whether or not anyone here defends it.
Which sidesteps the point. The question you were asked is why you ask other people to reveal their position before engaging them? If you're not looking for opponents to defend your straw man, what are you looking for by asking people their predispositions?The issue is whether the strong scientistic claim is justified.
Does that require the attention or intervention of other people?No. I'm examining the position itself, whether or not anyone here defends it.
That's exactly what I'm doing. My question is whether the strong scientistic claim — that scientific knowledge is the only valid form of knowledge — can itself be justified.Well, why don't you just go ahead and examine it then?
Do you yourself defend the strong scientistic position — that scientific knowledge is the only valid form of knowledge?Well, why don't you just go ahead and examine it then?
Do you? Since you say you are examining it, you are better placed to answer that question.Do you yourself defend the strong scientistic position — that scientific knowledge is the only valid form of knowledge?
I was simply trying to establish whether anyone here actually holds the strong position I'm examining, rather than attributing that position to anyone without justification. That's all.Which sidesteps the point. The question you were asked is why you ask other people to reveal their position before engaging them? If you're not looking for opponents to defend your straw man, what are you looking for by asking people their predispositions?
What do you imagine the role of the other people posting in this thread ought to be?That's exactly what I'm doing. My question is whether the strong scientistic claim — that scientific knowledge is the only valid form of knowledge — can itself be justified.
See, there you go again—apparently hunting for people to take up a contrary position. Are you "examining" the question, or are you just itching for a fight?Do you yourself defend the strong scientistic position — that scientific knowledge is the only valid form of knowledge?
It's abundantly clear no one here advocates the particular brand of scientism that you want to argue against. So what shall we do?I was simply trying to establish whether anyone here actually holds the strong position I'm examining, rather than attributing that position to anyone without justification. That's all.
No. I don't defend the strong scientistic position. I'm examining and challenging it.Do you? Since you say you are examining it, you are better placed to answer that question.
Do you expect other people in this forum to defend it against your challenges?No. I don't defend the strong scientistic position. I'm examining and challenging it.
Does Popper’s definition include the claim that scientific knowledge is the only valid form of knowledge?
Go on then.No. I don't defend the strong scientistic position. I'm examining and challenging it.
Is this necessary?I'm asking because I'm opposed to strong scientism. I want to know whether anyone here actually defends that position, so I know whether there is someone arguing for the other side.
So then, yes, you are looking for opponents to debate. You're not just "examining" the subject.I'm asking because I'm opposed to strong scientism. I want to know whether anyone here actually defends that position, so I know whether there is someone arguing for the other side.