• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged Is Scientism Really Justified?

The issue is whether the strong scientistic claim is justified.
Which sidesteps the point. The question you were asked is why you ask other people to reveal their position before engaging them? If you're not looking for opponents to defend your straw man, what are you looking for by asking people their predispositions?
 
Well, why don't you just go ahead and examine it then?
That's exactly what I'm doing. My question is whether the strong scientistic claim — that scientific knowledge is the only valid form of knowledge — can itself be justified.
 
Which sidesteps the point. The question you were asked is why you ask other people to reveal their position before engaging them? If you're not looking for opponents to defend your straw man, what are you looking for by asking people their predispositions?
I was simply trying to establish whether anyone here actually holds the strong position I'm examining, rather than attributing that position to anyone without justification. That's all.
 
That's exactly what I'm doing. My question is whether the strong scientistic claim — that scientific knowledge is the only valid form of knowledge — can itself be justified.
What do you imagine the role of the other people posting in this thread ought to be?

Do you yourself defend the strong scientistic position — that scientific knowledge is the only valid form of knowledge?
See, there you go again—apparently hunting for people to take up a contrary position. Are you "examining" the question, or are you just itching for a fight?
 
I was simply trying to establish whether anyone here actually holds the strong position I'm examining, rather than attributing that position to anyone without justification. That's all.
It's abundantly clear no one here advocates the particular brand of scientism that you want to argue against. So what shall we do?
 
I'm asking because I'm opposed to strong scientism. I want to know whether anyone here actually defends that position, so I know whether there is someone arguing for the other side.
 
I'm asking because I'm opposed to strong scientism. I want to know whether anyone here actually defends that position, so I know whether there is someone arguing for the other side.
So then, yes, you are looking for opponents to debate. You're not just "examining" the subject.

As you've seen, no one here believes in the kind of "strong scientism" you oppose. Therefore no one is likely to defend it against your challenges. The approach to scientific methodology most common around here is pragmatic. It's the best method we know of for answering certain types of questions and thereby developing certain kinds of knowledge. That is why you've been asked to come up with a better method, if you can.

It's clear you don't want to be forced to challenge pragmatic empiricism. Conversely it follows that no one here wants to be forced to defend dogmatic empiricism—they don't believe in it.

The reason for what you might interpret as a hostile response is because many fringe claimants begin with pinning "strong scientism" on critics of the paranormal in an attempt to portray those critics as irrational. It's not clear that isn't what you're trying to do here, given that we have ample examples of you referring to the paranormal as a class of claims that you believe to be rejected inappropriately according to empirical methods.

So now what are you going to do?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom