The question should be whether it is safer to have a gun for self defense or not. The data shows that a gun in your household makes it much more likely you will be harmed by a gun.
You are letting the data mislead you.The question should be whether it is safer to have a gun for self defense or not. The data shows that a gun in your household makes it much more likely you will be harmed by a gun.
People who are not involved in criminal gang activity, and who possess their guns legally, are not much more likely to be harmed by a gun.
In my state, there's no carry.
You mean find a case of a woman who wants a gun to protect herself? I dont see the point in giving me that busy work.
Suicide has a selection bias. Suicide rates in the UK and the US are pretty close, even though guns are relatively rare in the UK.30,000 gang member commit suicide by gun each year?
I'm surprised they bother joining a gang.
The fact that you're not grasping it does not mean that I'm not making it.If you have an argument to make, make it.
It does indeed frown quite heavily on people whose only argument is "I think I might need to kill someone some day".Last time I checked commonwealth law tends to frown quite heavily on people who try to get an unfair advantage over a violent attacker or a home invader.
But it does increase the chances of your suicide attempt being completed.Suicide has a selection bias. Suicide rates in the UK and the US are pretty close, even though guns are relatively rare in the UK.
Having a gun doesn't increase your chances of committing suicide.
Does it? Suicide methods among adolescents and adults in Korea, 1997–2021: an issue of accessibility and awarenessBut it does increase the chances of your suicide attempt being completed.
Yes, it does.
Your comment was about completion. Merely owning a gun does not increase the rate of completed suicide.Yes, it does.
![]()
Handgun ownership associated with much higher suicide risk
Men who own handguns are eight times more likely to die of gun suicides than men who don't own handguns, and women who own handguns are 35 times more likely than women who don't.med.stanford.edu
*rolleyes*Your comment was about completion. Merely owning a gun does not increase the rate of completed suicide.
Overall, 8.5% of suicidal acts were fatal (14.7% for males vs. 3.3% for females; 3.4% for persons aged 15 to 24 years vs. 35.4% for those aged ≥65 years). Drug poisoning accounted for 59.4% of acts but only 13.5% of deaths; firearms and hanging accounted for only 8.8% of acts but 75.3% of deaths. Firearms were the most lethal method (89.6% of suicidal acts with a firearm resulted in death), followed by drowning (56.4%) and hanging (52.7%). Method-specific CFRs were higher for males and older persons. The distribution of methods varied across demographic groups.
Here, I'll make it for you, since apparently you can't just say what you mean directly:The fact that you're not grasping it does not mean that I'm not making it.
It also frowns on people whose argument is "I might need to kill someone right now", if they take effective measures to ensure an unfair advantage for that purpose.It does indeed frown quite heavily on people whose only argument is "I think I might need to kill someone some day".
UKian suicide rates are quite close to American suicide rates. Clearly people who want to take their own lives are able to do the job with or without guns.But it does increase the chances of your suicide attempt being completed.
Um, so? Is it your contention that if people with suicidal ideation don't have access to guns they'll just not complete the act? Clearly, that's not correct.*rolleyes*
Suicide with a gun is more often completed than suicide using other methods.
Loading…
www.acpjournals.org
The suicide rate for people born in Australia was 14.6 per 100,000 people
- The total age-adjusted suicide rate in the United States increased 35.2% from 10.4 per 100,000 in 2000 to 14.2 per 100,000 in 2018, before declining to 13.9 per 100,000 in 2019 and declining again to 13.5 per 100,000 in 2020. The total age-adjusted suicide rate in the United States increased to 14.0 per 100,000 in 2021, increased again to 14.2 per 100,000 in 2022, and then decreased to 14.1 per 100,000 in 2023.
People who are serious about ending it more often complete the job, including using methods that are effective over methods that aren't, and choosing the most effective methods available.*rolleyes*
Suicide with a gun is more often completed than suicide using other methods.
Loading…
www.acpjournals.org
I did say it, not mere pages but years ago. Decades. That's how long we've been having this discussion. If you don't understand my point by now, I'm not what else I can do.Here, I'll make it for you, since apparently you can't just say what you mean directly:
Humans having an intractable propensity for violence, it's good policy to greatly restrict access to the most efficient of weapons, the gun.
See? Not that hard. You could have said that ages and pages ago. No need to waste your time and happiness on this pseudo socratic nonsense.
I guess not."I don't want you to have a gun, because if you become suicidal you might actually succeed. I'd rather you be forced t slit your wrists or drink a bottle of toilet duck, or jump off a bridge or something. Same outcome, if you're serious about it, but at least you didn't have access to one of those dirty nasty guns!"
- arth, probably
If you've already made your argument, to your satisfaction, there's nothing else for you to do.I did say it, not mere pages but years ago. Decades. That's how long we've been having this discussion. If you don't understand my point by now, I'm not what else I can do.
Maybe you should consider asking fewer rhetorical questions, and making more clear, concrete statements.I guess not.
I've made plenty of those in the past.Maybe you should consider asking fewer rhetorical questions, and making more clear, concrete statements.
People don’t buy guns to commit suicide. They buy them for other reasons and then use them to commit suicide because they are convenient and easy.He might. He might also start singing showtunes. But what statistics there are seen to indicate more draw/no bang, than draw/bang.
Again, ya cant really dismiss what happens most often in favor of kinda sorta might maybe happen sometimes. Majority is majority, if we are talking majority versus possibility.
How did you make the connection between having a gun for self defense and suicide? I would see them as two different reasons for owning, and two very differeny classes of owners. Like, a suicidal person may not have even owned a gun prior to his sad decision.