• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Does 'rape culture' accurately describe (many) societies?

Currently a UK child can log on to 4chan, click past the NSFW page and see explicit content for free. 4chan have told OFCOM...to, well....they said the initial fine was: "bedding for my pet hamster".

Even if OFCOM blocked the site, tech-savvy minors could use a VPN.

Hey! 4chan - you are a disgrace.
I will grant that, but googke won't serve that for that search, AND the same kid would be told it's an adult site and asked to confirm that he was 18. And see thumbnails of a woman with *ahem* something up her rear end, and click on them. I mean, I was 14, I understand the curiosity, but at that point it's 2 or 3 conscious decisions in, and acting upon them. Like, what, did he think that 30 minutes in, after being railed by 4 guys, that fine lady would show him how to care for a hamster? It's still as physically opposite to either "pushing" or "unwanted" as it gets. Like, literally, if that content is unwanted, you can just close the window when you see the thumbnails.
 
Last edited:
I will grant that, but googke won't serve that for that search,
If the UK government blocked the site, sure - but the tech-savvy would know what to do.
AND the same kid would be told it's an adult site and asked to confirm that he was 18. And see thumbnails of a woman with *ahem* something up her rear end, and click on them. I mean, I was 14, I understand the curiosity, but at that point it's 2 or 3 conscious decisions in, and acting upon them. Like, what, did he think that 30 minutes in, after being railed by 4 guys, that fine lady would show him how to care for a hamster? It's still as physically opposite to either "pushing" or "unwanted" as it gets. Like, literally, if that content is unwanted, you can just close the window when you see the thumbnails.
Given the curiosity of kids, then we have a duty to protect them...and acknowledging that - then I don't disagree with theprestige's criticism. Effectively, we have spammed them...de facto, society is showing kids porn. As stated before, that is child sexual abuse on an industrial scale.

This should be treated as a global crisis; a dereliction of care.
 
I mean, I've already acknowleged that the system is imperfect. What more do you want me to do? Walk naked through town while some guy rings a bell and shouts "Shame! Shame!"?

And probably even that would get the young 'uns turned on :P
 
I mean, I've already acknowleged that the system is imperfect. What more do you want me to do? Walk naked through town while some guy rings a bell and shouts "Shame! Shame!"?

And probably even that would get the young 'uns turned on :P
Mandela: There is no keener revelation of a society's soul than the way in which it treats it's children.
 
How about:
I’ve spoken to a million children through my surveys and participation programmes – their priorities are my priorities. (Children's Commissioner)

Also:

Your reply:

Whilst you push back against the commissioner's data (regarding where children see porn) you, nonetheless, affirm that:

It looks like you have changed your stance somewhat since those old posts.
Nope. My personal opinions are distinct from what I think can be supported as rational public policy. I regret opening up the sidebar. It wasn't directed at you or your claims, nor was it written in a way to mitigate the risk of you misunderstanding me in some deliberate and rhetorically convenient way.

When I change my stance, I'll let you know. You don't have to try to tell me what I think or believe.
 
I mean, I've already acknowleged that the system is imperfect. What more do you want me to do? Walk naked through town while some guy rings a bell and shouts "Shame! Shame!"?

And probably even that would get the young 'uns turned on :P
Slightly OT but yes, we are active in the BDSM community and a shame fetish isn't uncommon.
 
Nope. My personal opinions are distinct from what I think can be supported as rational public policy. I regret opening up the sidebar. It wasn't directed at you or your claims, nor was it written in a way to mitigate the risk of you misunderstanding me in some deliberate and rhetorically convenient way.

When I change my stance, I'll let you know. You don't have to try to tell me what I think or believe.
You've lost me. Which sidebar?
 
Sure, but you didn't pull any punches in your criticism of the porn industry.
Yes, and I even said that if you were to start a thread criticizing the porn industry as such, I might actually agree with you about most of it.

But this thread isn't about the porn industry as such. It's about trying to link porn to rape culture. I also haven't pulled any punches in my criticism of this line of reasoning from you.

If you're going to make something of when and where I don't pull punches, then please consider the entire data set, not just the bits that you think you can traduce into support for your thesis.
 
Yes, and I even said that if you were to start a thread criticizing the porn industry as such, I might actually agree with you about most of it.

But this thread isn't about the porn industry as such. It's about trying to link porn to rape culture. I also haven't pulled any punches in my criticism of this line of reasoning from you.

If you're going to make something of when and where I don't pull punches, then please consider the entire data set, not just the bits that you think you can traduce into support for your thesis.
Except that your criticism equates (in the UK at least) to child sexual abuse by the porn industry (enabled, of course, by society as a whole). You weren't using the term spamming literally I don't think - but in the sense of, effectively, that is what they have done and continue to do....cmiiw.

Given the definition of rape culture that includes the normalisation and trivialisation of sexual abuse, violence and coercion - then it relates directly to the thread.

And, sure, we can leave it there.
 
Except that your criticism equates (in the UK at least) to child sexual abuse by the porn industry
No, it doesn't. Your concept of what constitutes child sexual abuse in porn is deeply flawed. We've been over this.

(enabled, of course, by society as a whole). You weren't using the term spamming literally I don't think - but in the sense of, effectively, that is what they have done and continue to do....cmiiw.
Like I said, I regret opening the sidebar. I didn't use "spamming" for your engagement. Of course you misunderstood me.

Given the definition of rape culture that includes the normalisation and trivialisation of sexual abuse, violence and coercion - then it relates directly to the thread.
There's other cultural phenomena that do more to normalize sexual abuse than fictional depictions of sex do. Look at cultures where rape is actually normalized.

And, sure, we can leave it there.
(y)
 
An investigation by The Independent has revealed that AI nudification apps generating explicit imagery and depictions of sexual assault were freely downloadable on Apple's App Store.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom