Mojo
Mostly harmless
You do realise that we can still see what you have posted in the thread, don't you?I didn't claim 'expertise'...
You do realise that we can still see what you have posted in the thread, don't you?I didn't claim 'expertise'...
What film speed and camera settings were the astronauts using to photograph the Moon's surface? What film speed and camera settings did you use to photograph stars?Given these were astronauts primed by precise astronomical detail, it could be said filming the stars would be of keen interest, so the fact the skies appear blacked over and the crew of three avoiding the question, is understandably seen by those interested, as a deliberate policy, to avoid star-spotters from identifying exactly where the photography was taken. So I am curious to understand this, too.
I never said I was a professional photographer. I was a keen hobbyist, contrary to Foster Zygote's obvious assumption only macho guys knew anything about the specifics.You do realise that we can still see what you have posted in the thread, don't you?
You aren't really interested in this; you are simply being vexatious so I shall pass.What film speed and camera settings were the astronauts using to photograph the Moon's surface? What film speed and camera settings did you use to photograph stars?
What film speed and aperture/shutter settings did you use to photograph stars (you claim that you have done this, remember)?I never said I was a professional photographer. I was a keen hobbyist, contrary to Foster Zygote's obvious assumption only macho guys knew anything about the specifics.
You are passing on this because it's fatal to your, for want of a better word, argument.You aren't really interested in this; you are simply being vexatious so I shall pass.
Sorry, are you assuming daylight on Earth is the same as daylight on the Moon? Oh dear.What film speed and aperture/shutter settings did you use to photograph stars (you claim that you have done this, remember)?
Have you tried using the same settings to take photos in daylight?
Have you tried using settings appropriate to daylight photography to photograph the night sky?
Why is it fatal? All the information you need is on Google, so even if I could remember exactly what settings I used to use for night photos, I am not sure how it is relevant one way or another.You are passing on this because it's fatal to your, for want of a better word, argument.
Would you care to enlighten we lesser mortals about the difference? *fx adopts listening pose"Sorry, are you assuming daylight on Earth is the same as daylight on the Moon? Oh dear.
What relevance do night photos have to the question? It was daytime on the moon.Why is it fatal? All the information you need is on Google, so even if I could remember exactly what settings I used to use for night photos, I am not sure how it is relevant one way or another.
What "glare" would your polarising filter be needed for on the moon?You haven't grasped that daylight on Earth is different from daylight on the Moon.
I'm assuming that both are illuminated by the same sun at approximately the same distance, yes.Sorry, are you assuming daylight on Earth is the same as daylight on the Moon? Oh dear.
I am assessing your current understanding, based on your extensive posting history over several years, and in particular the posts in this thread. What you achieved 50 years ago is irrelevant.That doesn't mean your claim that your 13-year-olds have a better understanding of Physics than myself is the slightest bit accurate. I just sneaked a look at my school report for that age (these were all people who passed the 11+ [so top 20 percentile of all the pupils in that age group and then top 25 percentile in the academic stream = top 5% overall). So, I was first in English and French, second in Biology. Chemistry, Physics and Music; third in German. Top six in everything else. So your claim my understanding falls short of your 13-year-old's is just a cheap insult. I would guess that this is because you haven't grasped the point being made.
Ahem.I didn't claim 'expertise', ...
...
I was into photography once. I had all the gear, different lenses, flash bulbs, filters, trendy Ilford black & white film, ultra-violet, infra-red, etc. I even won a section in an annual photography competition in the Camden New Journal once.
No, I didn't need to do 'a post hoc search for "how to photograph stars"'. How insulting.
Most photographers are hobbyists. Does your amateur knowledge give you any insight into whether a shutter speed of, say, 1/125 second and aperture of f5.6 would allow you to photograph stars in the night* sky using 160 ASA film?I never said I was a professional photographer. I was a keen hobbyist, contrary to Foster Zygote's obvious assumption only macho guys knew anything about the specifics.
Could it? You can see the stars from Earth any old time. They were on the moon.Given these were astronauts primed by precise astronomical detail, it could be said filming the stars would be of keen interest...
I believe sunlight on the moon is about as bright as sunlight on earth, though less diffuse. How about you?Sorry, are you assuming daylight on Earth is the same as daylight on the Moon? Oh dear.
I find that unlikely....I am not sure how it is relevant one way or another.
What do you think "obscures" the view of the stars in daylight on Earth?This is an interesting question. On the one hand there is a pitch black sky, no clouds (=there is no rain or water on the Moon for there to be any), unlike in England where the sky is blue, white or grey during the day (and bright sunshine is rare [ha ha]). On the other hand, there is the bright light of a low sun. So, first thing to consider is what type of film? I'd go for low speed 200 black and white. Slow shutter speed. Polarised filter on the zoom lens to deal with the glare and perhaps some kind of umbrella to block out the sun's rays. There must literally have been millions of stars, with nothing to obscure the view other than the low sun.