• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Apollo 11 Moon Landing Revisited: Hoax ~vs~ Debunk

Is there anybody here whose "holiday snaps were ruined just by going through airport security" back in the day?

I know it was something we all worried about, especially if using fast film like 400ASA. But since Vixen asks us to give it a moment's thought, I'm curious to know if anyone here, or anyone you know, really had their own film perceptibly damaged by airport X-ray machines. Or is the hazard rather overstated?

Now obviously we have to bear in mind these would only be conventional airport X-ray machines, while we must imagine the X-ray machines used at airport security if you were going all the way to the moon must surely have been enormous and massively more powerful. And obviously top secret. So nobody would know just how massively powerful they were.
 
Last edited:
I cannot see the point of name-calling unless we are back in the school playground.
Could you show us all on the doll exactly where I called you, or anyone else, names?
My pointing out Marcus Allen's opinion about the Apollo photography a reasonable one and that I couldn't see it was at all 'debunked', as claimed, certainly doesn't follow that therefore I must be an antivaxxer and flatearther. (Do look up my comments in the COVID thread.)
If you'll reread my post for comprehension, you'll notice I didn't say you were either of those. I did compare Apollo hoax claims to other conspiracy theories, and you've been accommodating enough in this thread to demonstrate exactly the sort of behaviors that I find so fascinating:

- Deciding a priori what you want to be true, and then trying to seek out evidence to prove it so.

- Ignoring all evidence that the claim you're supporting is objectively wrong and pretending that it still presents evidence for your pet conspiracy theory, such as by assuming that photographs taken on the lunar surface should show stars simply because the sky is black, and then ignoring all technical evidence to the contrary.

- Misrepresenting your knowledge of the subject in order to assert that you have personal experience that proves the claim you're repeating, even to the point of lying about how easily you've photographed stars on your own (with the implication that you did it with a handheld SLR film camera with settings that would also allow imaging objects in direct sunlight), then demonstrating comprehensively that you know so little about photography that you don't understand the simple reason the Apollo photographs don't show stars.

- Playing the victim when you back yourself into a corner. (see below)


It's not that you are an anti vaxer or a flat earther (although they could certainly go on the BINGO card at this point), it's that Apollo hoaxers engage in the same behaviors as those who adhere to pretty much every other conspiracy theory, who think belief in these theories makes them special - among the very few too clever to be fooled - when in reality they aren't even clever enough to realize that they're saying all the experts are wrong about a very complex subject of which they know virtually nothing.
Simply calling someone a conspiracy theorist doesn't settle anything either. In China, a 'conspiracy theorist' claiming something horrible happened in Tiannamen Square will likely be taken out and shot at dawn. A CT-er in Russia scoffing at Putin's claim NATO was about to attack therefore he had no choice but to attack Ukraine will likely be despatched to a Siberian prison, stuffed with anti-psychotic drugs and made to stand in the freezing cold with water thrown over one until they snuff it from a pinch of poison in the cabbage soup.

As I am not American and don't 'salute the flag', please excuse me if my response to Trump's recent declaration people will be back gallivanting on the Moon saluting the US flag 'by 2028' - just because China made some noises - is a curled lip and a decent impersonation of a sarcastic Brummie: "Yes, mate!"

To add, it really doesn't make one a 'crazy democrat cat lady'.
Stop trying so hard to play the victim in the vain hope it will distract from your failed argumentation. We've all done far more than simply call you a conspiracy theorist. We've demonstrated conclusively that you, and the sources you're parroting, have no idea what you're talking about. Remember when you claimed that the 70 mm still photos were suspicious because it was easy to take photos of stars? You claimed to have done it yourself, "no problem". Then when asked to describe how you did it you didn't respond for a while because, as we all knew, you were lying, because several of us have photographed stars, and we know that your conspiracy theorist, who claims that you should see stars in photos taken with a camera set to f-5.6, 1/125 sec., with ISO 160 film, is either an idiot or a blatant liar. After making an a posteriori investigation into the methodology involved in accomplishing what you'd already claimed to have done, you realized your mistake. I know this because in a previous attempt to play the victim of nonexistent misogyny, you mentioned a tripod, which is necessary for the longer exposure times needed to shoot stars on film. But you couldn't admit to being wrong, so you tried to weasel out with a smartphone image of Jupiter. That's just one example of the many claims that you've presented that have been empirically shot down.

And again, stop trying to childishly dismiss your opponents in this discussion as jingoistic, flag-waving zealots. Again, the worldwide scientific consensus that Apollo was real has nothing to do with "because the U.S. government says so!". That's a truly pathetic strawman. Why don't you go to the U.S. politics section of this forum and see how popular Trump is. Then contact the engineering department of literally any university in the world and ask them to offer their input on any of the "evidence" you've dragged into this thread.
 
Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out how a geosynchronous satellite would even help any.
It reminds me of a long drive with my mother-in-law in the front passenger seat, and my wife in the back with the kids. As we neared our destination, I began to query my wife for directions, and my mother-in-law started doing her English to English translator thing.

Me: Which exit?
M-I-L: Which exit?
Wife: Greystone Blvd.
M-I-L: Greystone Blvd.
Me: Which way at the light?
M-I-L: Which way at the light?

Etcetera.
 
I swapped my third hand £29.00 Fender Jazz bass copy for the album Tonic for the Troops. A bad deal. I still have the vinyl, though. 1978ish.
The main argument about that album at my school was when anyone called the Boomtown Rats a punk band, all the cool kids would pile on to scoff at the idea. (I mean, reluctantly, I think they kinda had a point, but the main point was to be a dick about it.)
 
Last edited:
You tell the world you left the camera on the Moon but then when you pop your clogs, the wife discovers your dusty old Hasselblad in the back of the wardrobe, together with the all-American trinkets you were supposed to have left on the Moon. We have all been there.
After Neil Armstrong died, no “dusty old Hasselblad” was found to have been in his possession. You didn’t even read the article you got this claim from, as it said nothing about any Hasselblad. This has been pointed out to you already.

Why are you repeating this lie when you know it’s untrue?
 
It reminds me of a long drive with my mother-in-law in the front passenger seat, and my wife in the back with the kids. As we neared our destination, I began to query my wife for directions, and my mother-in-law started doing her English to English translator thing.

Look, I have one job on this lousy ship. It's stupid, but I'm going to do it. OK?
 
I cannot see the point of name-calling unless we are back in the school playground.
You're right: you're not a conspiracy theorist. You just play one on the forum to look smart and get attention. Somehow you seem to think that's a moral step up.

My pointing out Marcus Allen's opinion about the Apollo photography a reasonable one...
No it isn't.

If you weren't such a prolific purveyor on this forum of conspiracy theories, you might have been forgiven. An ordinary person running across a sensationalist claim might be forgiven for saying, "Hey, look at this, isn't it curious?" But you have presented many conspiracy theories at this forum, and therefore you should know that almost everything sensational you claim has a calmer, more evident explanation that will eventually be shown to you. Therefore you are on the hook to have thought, "Hm, maybe before I present this at the skeptics forum I should see if there's already a skeptical answer." You didn't even stop to wonder, "Hm, Marcus Allen made his living as a sensationalist. Maybe I should fact-check him a little."

And you didn't just present the claim. You went a step further and claimed that your own expertise confirmed Marcus' "opinion" of photographing stars. You knew you were bluffing, and based on your past experience you should have known that your bluffs are always called. There's nothing reasonable about that.

Several pages in, it should have become apparent that people in this thread knew far more about the subject than you do. They can supply details you don't know about and don't understand. They can point out the simple logical flaws in the argument that you should have seen even without knowing the historical or technical details. You didn't defer to their obviously better preparation. You didn't take a step back and realize you might need to fact-check your sources. That's what a reasonable person would have done upon discovering their own lack of preparation and expertise.

No, instead you're relying on increasingly more incoherent babble to drive more engagement. There's absolutely nothing reasonable about your approach in this thread, at any point, at any level.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom