Most people don't know what their IQ 'score' is in order to 'increase' your IQ level' [OP]. I can recall four fully supervised and independently proctored IQ tests, and they were: the 11+, entrance test to psychology course, Civil Service 'Fast Track' and British Mensa. Only the latter gave me a score and a certificate. The others were passes but without a score. IOW it is/was assumed to be of use only to education institutes and employers. As for practising, some parents might have got their kids to practise the 11+ but I don't recall ever practising, but then my parents weren't pushy. As I recall, only about six people from my junior school got into the local state grammar school, both, a nearly 2km walk, but the former was the sister Church of England school of my nearby infants school.
There were all together about 120 pupils in the first form, split into four classes. Traditionally, the 11+ pass mark was at the 80th percentile (top 20% of the local junior school population aged eleven that academic year). Depending on your twice-yearly exam results, you then got streamed in the second year depending on academic ability, as reflected in your first year exam results. As we all gathered on the first day of term in the gym hall, I can remember being firstly nervous and then elated to hear my name called out for the top stream, which technically, would be the top 5% (bearing in mind some very pushy, very wealthy, parents armed with private tutors outside school hours), split into four different forms. Ten academic O-Levels were on the syllabus, including two languages and three sciences. One influential local businessman managed to lobby the school into taking his son in the third form, in the top stream. It didn't increase this poor boy's IQ any, as he really struggled, coming bottom in almost everything. One sports day, he kicked me in the back, my being regularly top or at least in the top six. Another girl, whose only good subject was English Language, slammed me against a wall, when I took 'her spot' at being first in English (we had been friends until then, walking home from school together). Suffice to say, all of this was horribly distressing for me. The boy who bullied me became a good friend in adulthood (at least on FaceBook and via a school reunion years later) and he is very successful today in life running his own training company. The point is, no amount of extra tuition improved his cognitive ability in a competitive environment of academically able pupils.
I didn't get the score for the Civil Service Fast Track I passed or the honours degree entrance exam, either, but my tutor did tell me in passing I had the highest score they'd seen.
It was only in my early thirties, when I saw an advert that used to run in womens magazines, for Mensa. I think these puzzles were deliberately easy, to attract queries. I sent off the cut-out bit of the magazine in a moment of idle curiosity. I was sent a home test, which you complete under your own timing. That was sent back and then I received an invitation to go along to a supervised test. This was at Birkbeck College. I can recall some drilling noises suddenly starting up towards the end. Their invigilators are trained to supervise in exam conditions and to exact timing. They don't do the marking. The papers are sent off for this. They calculate raw scores on various parameters. When I received the results I was not particularly surprised, given my history of doing okay in such tests. Would I have been disappointed not to have passed? Hard to say. But I think they are probably as accurate as one could expect. As it was at the very top score end, it seems unlikely to be able to better it, given the lack of a decent sample size to be able to 'norm' it against. Mensa is a social club and I met one of my husband's there - we got on like a house on fire - whom I would never have met otherwise; plus got to visit in depth places around the country and people I may never have known except on a surface level. (Alas the marriage didn't last beyond seven years but we stayed friends.) However, sitting around eating dinner, which is a large part of the pastimes, never much interested me. Whilst societies such as Triple Nine Society claim a 'pass score' of 173, all they do is use tables to convert Mensa raw scores into their raw scores, so a Mensa score of 160 on Cattell converts to their score of 173.
I did join one such 'triple nine' club, which involved a self-timed home test, based on verbal ability, which you then send back. How well is it normed for accuracy? I don't know but I scored at roughly at the +sd 3.56 level (pass mark: +sd 3.17), and as offset against my Mensa score (which is at the threshold of three standard deviations from the norm, as statistically designating the 99.9% level.)
Can it be improved? <
Shrug> Who knows? What special advantage would there be when it is 'enough already'? Burnout, more probably.
