I have now read the next bit of the book
Upward Bound; this concerns a character named Tom, who is severely disabled by cerebral palsy and needs care 24/7. It is rather touching and as seen from Tom's POV, as for the first time in his life a carer at the day care centre seems to see him as a real person.
The quibble I have from a literary POV is that the book is from the viewpoint of the narrator, Woody, i.e., first person, yet he seems to know exactly what his mother is thinking or feeling (for example, rage towards the head of the day care centre and wanting to yell at him, Woody, but refraining), so yeah it does seem written from Mom's POV.
His creative writing tutor should have told him you can only infer what others think or feel from what they say or do if you are writing in the first person. I think the book might work for young adults or those who just enjoy a sentimental 'good read', and hurrah for Mom championing the rights and feelings of the disabled.
Speaking of which, re my friend's PhD creative writing tutor bullying her into writing 'more authentically', see earlier post - I note that today he has a piece in the
GUARDIAN* complaining - ironically - that people are now 'over-sharing'. Make up your mind, Blake Morrison! (For it is he.)
*
‘Enough of this me me me’: Blake Morrison on memoir in the age of oversharing ~ https://www.theguardian.com/books/n...-morrison-on-memoir-in-the-age-of-oversharing