d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing
Happy to concede that there are actual sex differences in play here, I certainly could have picked a better example had I been focusing on the arbitrariness of sexed social constructs.You personally might have to shave to get that look, but some men get something pretty close to it naturally. But it is exceptionally rare for women to go completely bald naturally, especially if it's not from some serious health problem.
I will happily concede that many gendered social expectations are rooted in biological differences (e.g. statistical measurable differences in strength, physical aggression, and risk tolerance likely go all the way back to the era of evolutionary adaptation) but I cannot concede that every gendered social construct is non-arbitrary and traces back to some evolved physical or psychological sex differences.Social expectations develop around these biological realities. You can call this gender if you like, but it has its roots in biological differences between men and women, it's not an arbitrary social construct.
Consider pretty painted toes, for example. I could accompany my wife and daughter to the nail salon where they get theirs done and the ladies there would indeed be willing to help, but I would most likely be the only male in the salon and my presence might well make the experience less fun for the usual clientele, even assuming they found me completely unthreatening. Can you come up with a story which somehow links the use of brightly colored nail polish to known underlying sex differences?
Last edited: