In July 2021, Kirk made remarks about Biles on his internet-hosted "The Charlie Kirk Show." During his show, he provided his thoughts about the breaking news of Biles withdrawing from participating in further competition during the COVID-delayed 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
At the time,
The Associated Press (AP) and
ESPN reported about Biles' withdrawing for mental health reasons.
The AP and
ESPN subsequently published articles about her experiencing the "twisties" — the term for a gymnast's sudden mental inability to compete with the requisite spins for a particular maneuver.
On Kirk's July 27, 2021, show, he began his segment about Biles by saying he didn't know whether anyone had ever sexually assaulted her, more than three years after Biles said ex-U.S. Olympic gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar had molested her. Judges
sentenced Nassar to jail for what essentially amounted to a life sentence following allegations of sexually assaulting nearly 160 victims. Kirk said:
So, Simone Biles. I don't know her politics. I don't. I just know that she's being shown on television a lot. I don't know if she was ever sexually assaulted or abused. So, I don't, I don't know what she's been through. I seriously, I mean that sincerely. However, I'm going to say this. Don't show up to the Olympics and compete if you're not ready for the big moments.
Kirk then railed against Biles for withdrawing from further competition, calling her "you selfish sociopath," "weak," "very selfish," "immature," "a shame to the country," "totally a sociopath, of course she's a sociopath" and "a disgrace." Kirk's comments about Biles begin at the 54:03 mark in the
full episode, available on Rumble.com.
On the next day, Kirk
reposted (
archived) a video displaying his remarks on X and added, "Just so we're clear—I stand by every word of this."