theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
Okay so connect it. Connect Oct 7 back to the question of whether Hamas should be entitled victory if they use human shields.Its all very connected. Oct 7 didn't happen in a political vacuum.
Okay so connect it. Connect Oct 7 back to the question of whether Hamas should be entitled victory if they use human shields.Its all very connected. Oct 7 didn't happen in a political vacuum.
Israel has a moral obligation to to fight through its enemy's human shields.You are wrong, and now you are deliberately lying. You are using misrepresentation to make my entirely reasonable view that everybody in this situation is a moral monster sound like I am the moral monster. Why? Why do you lie about me? What do you have against me personally that you want to make me look like the worst person in the world? What did I ever do to you? When did I lie about you?
You think I'm taking it personally? Damn right I am. You have made it personal by deliberately and maliciously lying.
what is "victory" for either side in this conflict, in your opinion?Okay so connect it. Connect Oct 7 back to the question of whether Hamas should be entitled victory if they use human shields.
Patients being treated at a hospital, are not "human shields".Israel has a moral obligation to to fight through its enemy's human shields.
Never claimed they were entitled to a victory. In fact Hamas cannot be victorious against Israel. All they can do, is respond and retaliate.Okay so connect it. Connect Oct 7 back to the question of whether Hamas should be entitled victory if they use human shields.
Israel has a moral obligation to to fight through its enemy's human shields.
All armies have a legal and moral obligation to do their utmost to avoid civilian casualties and damage to civilian infrastructure.Israel has a moral obligation to to fight through its enemy's human shields.
Never observed an actual war, have you.All armies have a legal and moral obligation to do their utmost to avoid civilian casualties and damage to civilian infrastructure.
I know the law, and I know what a war crime is.Never observed an actual war, have you.
They certainly can be human shields, if a belligerent makes the hospital a military target. That's why using a hospital for military purposes is a war crime, but attacking a hospital with a military presence is not.Patients being treated at a hospital, are not "human shields".
Well that's what arth and I are debating. Honestly I'm not understanding your struggle. It's a pretty simple yes-or-no question. Yes, it's ethical to fight through an enemy's human shields, or no, it isn't. I say it is. What do you say?Never claimed they were entitled to a victory.
They can if they're allowed to prevail because they use human shields and it's not acceptable to fight through those shields.In fact Hamas cannot be victorious against Israel. All they can do, is respond and retaliate.
A human shield can happen two ways:They certainly can be human shields, if a belligerent makes the hospital a military target. That's why using a hospital for military purposes is a war crime, but attacking a hospital with a military presence is not.
But tell it to Arth. He's the one saying Hamas is using human shields.
Besides, I'm talking about a general principle. You're free to argue about whether a specific case meets the standard.
No. Not their utmost, and not to avoid all civilian casualties and damage.All armies have a legal and moral obligation to do their utmost to avoid civilian casualties and damage to civilian infrastructure.
#3. By deception. This is your scenario.A human shield can happen two ways:
#1. By force. Soldiers force civilians to protect them against enemy fire, against their will.
#2. By choice. Civilians can choose to be in the same location as militants so as to protect the militants.
People legitimately seeking medical attention at a hospital, cannot be human shields. Are they FORCED by Hamas to be there? No.
Are they honestly seeking medical attention? Yes. Do they know that Hamas is using the hospital as a base of operations? Prove it.
Do the civilians have an easily accessible alternative for medical attention? Prove it.
Ive seen no evidence of any of this. Seems more likely that Israel likes to destroy civilian infrastructure and civilians.
An army is still required to do their best to avoid civilian casualties.#3. By deception. This is your scenario.
Yes, which is why Hamas bears the moral burden if they use a hospital as a military facility.An army is still required to do their best to avoid civilian casualties.
Yes, which is why Hamas bears the moral burden if they use a hospital as a military facility.
Note that no army is required to give up military advantage or lose a battle just because the other side puts civilians in harm's way.
Not at all. I'm saying that when human shields are used, the side using them bears the moral responsibility if they come to harm. The side that has to choose between losing a battle or fighting through the shields does not bear that responsibility, if they choose to fight through the shields.You act as though every single military target in Gaza is a hospital full of human shields.
Theoreticals never get out of the starting gates in war. Armed forces do what they need to do to win. There has never been an exception to this.I know the law, and I know what a war crime is.
The International Committee for the Red Cross has done a thorough analysis on the issue of human shields, and what the obligations are of the opposing army:Not at all. I'm saying that when human shields are used, the side using them bears the moral responsibility if they come to harm. The side that has to choose between losing a battle or fighting through the shields does not bear that responsibility, if they choose to fight through the shields.
That's a basic principle of ethical warfare, that I believe in wholeheartedly. Whether it applies in all cases of collateral damage in Gaza is a different question.
And - AGAIN - tell it to Arth. He's the one saying Hamas is using human shields.