• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Go woke, go broke

Yes really.

Haven't you noticed the 'Oil of Olay' commercials? They changed the name here (from Ulan to Oley) and then started running the American commercials.

All the bleak Cadbury adverts (kid buying mum chocolate, kid offering chocolate to girl on the bus, girl in the petrol station, Dad after the interview) are all UK commercials. Have a look on youtube and you can see them with the original storylines and accents. (Girl in the garage has an Edinburgh accent I think.) I guess Australians were thinking all those bleak, gritty, backgrounds were in Melbourne... :P

Pretty sure I've seen American car commercials, and American commercials for soft drinks etc.

They're really obvious because of the makeup of the families and the people in the backgrounds.

Once you start seeing all the Americans, you'll see them everywhere.
 
In the "Go anti-woke, go broke?" basket...

I'm seeing a few people on Facebook cancelling their Washington Post subscriptions because Jeff Bezos wouldn't let the WP editorial board endorse Kamala Harris.

Not sure how that'll translate to their financial position.
 
I'm always a bit amused - or I should say perhaps negatively amused in the head-shaking sense - when that phrase "enemy of the people" is bandied about by such folks as Trump, considering that at least some of us who remember going to school and paying attention and reading the assignments might recall first running across that phrase in a play about science falling victim to political opportunism and stupidity. Truth crushed by the fist of irony.
 
WP? Or the people cancelling their subscriptions?
I think Trump has often referred to the press, including the Post, as well of course as the "failing New York Times," as the enemy of the people. I think at times that they are, but not for the same reason. The policy of the press in general of sanewashing Trump's outrageous behavior and statements may come home to roost. He thinks they're his enemy, but when push comes to shove, they're not.
 
In the "Go anti-woke, go broke?" basket...

I'm seeing a few people on Facebook cancelling their Washington Post subscriptions because Jeff Bezos wouldn't let the WP editorial board endorse Kamala Harris.

Not sure how that'll translate to their financial position.
Owned fully by Bezos through a shell company so it's unlikely we will ever hear about the impact on the paper's bottom line. I will say that it is hard to believe that there are people out there who are on the fence but would be convinced by a WAPO editorial endorsing Harris. Does sort of reveal they were only kidding with that Democracy Dies in Darkness shtick.
 
I'll need that explained, please.
After Trump was elected they started using that (on February 22, 2017) as their motto, much as the NY Times is "All the News That's Fit to Print." The pretty obvious implication was that Trump had brought on the darkness and the WAPO would shine the line to prevent democracy's death. Now in an election in which a whole lot of people think could mark the end of democracy in America, they won't tell us where they stand?

Note: While I dislike Trump and intend to vote Democrat this year to express my displeasure with the GOP, I don't personally believe the hyperventilating about the end of democracy. But if one does believe it? They should be shouting from the rooftops to vote for Harris and not for Trump.
 
After Trump was elected they started using that (on February 22, 2017) as their motto, much as the NY Times is "All the News That's Fit to Print." The pretty obvious implication was that Trump had brought on the darkness and the WAPO would shine the line to prevent democracy's death. Now in an election in which a whole lot of people think could mark the end of democracy in America, they won't tell us where they stand?

Note: While I dislike Trump and intend to vote Democrat this year to express my displeasure with the GOP, I don't personally believe the hyperventilating about the end of democracy. But if one does believe it? They should be shouting from the rooftops to vote for Harris and not for Trump.
Apparently their owner won't let them.
 
Apparently their owner won't let them.
We still have a pretty good sense of what the WaPo Editorial Board were going to say, though.

At a moment when The Post should have been stepping forward to sound the clarion call about the multiple dangers that Donald Trump poses to the nation and the world, it has chosen instead to pull back. That is the wrong choice at the worst possible time.​

 
as predicted, the natural consequence of wokeness is a billionaire buying a newspaper and suppressing the editorial opinions of the writers. and thus, all is right in the world.
 
Kind of just looks like the usual consequence of pandering to the woke or anti-woke activist crowd, to be honest. Eventually they'll turn on you for not being radical enough. Reminds me of stuff like Disney at its most activist stage still getting attacked for not having more gay representation, while people who just ignore them eventually get ignored in favour of targets that do feed the trolls.

Really, there's a reason why we had a "don't feed the trolls" internet wisdom since at least the early 2000's. (Or why you shouldn't answer to spammers, for that matter.) The worst you can do is have an "oh noes, I'm totally not <insert what he accused you of>, look at how much I'm totally the opposite" reaction, because then you showed them that they have the power to get a reaction out of you. They'll do it again, because that's what basement dwellers do. Regardless of whether it's about ye olde Linux vs Windows flame wars, or Nintendo vs Sony, or Android vs iPhone, or the newer "progressive" trolls.

Once you get down the rabbithole of trying to pander to one group of trolls, there is no end to that. Like, you could reassure them that you're totally on the Linux side, but then you get dragged into why you're a shill if you use a corporate distribution like SUSE or RedHat instead of compiling your own, or using a company-framework-based GUI like KDE instead of Gnome, or even a GUI at all instead of command line, or Vi instead of EMACS, or for still playing Windows games via WINE emulation, or even for using Linux at all instead of BSD. I actually personally had a coworker which switched from evangelizing Linux to 'you're a shill if you don't use BSD' when Linux got too mainstream for his trolling.

As I was saying that's what the kind of people who measure their success and influence in the world by trolling do.
 
I don't much get what the preceding post has to do with Washington Post's decision not to take a stand, unless one is still delusional enough to believe that one must be some kind of radical to oppose Trump. I suppose that's a consequence of his and others' shifting of the center toward the right, but I don't buy it.
 
I don't much get what the preceding post has to do with Washington Post's decision not to take a stand, unless one is still delusional enough to believe that one must be some kind of radical to oppose Trump. I suppose that's a consequence of his and others' shifting of the center toward the right, but I don't buy it.
Well, it used to be that the press was supposed to be impartial, and just report on the facts. In fact, even make sure to represent both sides of an issue, when people's opinions were involved.

In fact, we used to have the term "yellow journalism" for the kind that didn't. It was a pejorative term. It took about until the start of the 20'th century in the USA to fight for proper journalism instead of that, later in other parts of the world. Because we've seen what kind of nonsense we get when the newspapers decide to just pander to one political side instead, be it the jingoism that led to the American-Spanish war, or the '30s German press, or whatever. Or more recently what the USSR press does. Getting the press to just report the facts instead of putting a spin on it was actually a step forward.

But now the delusional trolls (on both sides of the spectrum) have turned that on its head: you're somehow a horrible person if you DON'T do biased partisan journalism instead. Or even just not biased enough.

If you still can't see the difference, well... :p
 
Last edited:
I am not expecting the Washington Post or any other agency to slant the news. But that paper, like most, has an editorial board which traditionally has taken positions.

I am not entirely convinced the press has been truly impartial already in its concerted attempt to minimize Trump's insane utterances and lies and rants, so as to appear impartial, as if this were not already putting a spin on reporting. Of course, no matter how fair you try to be, there is some room for how you report even the naked truth. We much choose words, and we often must choose what parts of a long and complex utterance are reported. The decision, for example, to characterize a lie as an untruth or a misstatement or something else, is an editorial decision, and even when we try to be fair we cannot entirely avoid it. But quite apart from this, I do not believe that there has been a sudden shift of the definition of fair journalism to exclude editorial opinion in the part of a journal where that is expected.

I do see a difference between editorial policy and unbiased reporting, and I think it a mistake not to.
 
Oh, the press hasn't been impartial for a while now. It's not like the WP pioneered that. If anything, Fox had. Doesn't mean I welcome it on either side. BS is not like Newtonian mechanics. You don't counter it with equal and opposite BS. Just saying :p
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom