Chanakya
,
- Joined
- Apr 29, 2015
- Messages
- 5,873
That doesn't make sense. It's both true that the US possessed nukes for a very short time before deploying them, and that the US has both had nukes and not used them for longer than any other nation. The truth of the former doesn't even tell us anything about whether or not the latter is true.
I honestly don't understand why you think that the former being true means that the latter is not true. How do you get from "The fact is the US has possessed nukes for a very remarkably short time before deploying them, and not just once" to "so the answer is a No"?
Can you spell that out for me? (…)
Sure.
And maybe I can just take the analogy route? Happy to simply spell it out in terms of this directly, in case that doesn’t end up conveying my meaning adequately.
Okay, that room of yours/ours? There’s this 50-year-old gent there, and the rest of them are all 25. They’ve all turned up for a job. The job calls for someone really trustworthy, someone who’s going to be personally handling a great deal of cash and/or finances generally, so they want to do a check on whether anyone there might be a risk, specifically as far as stealing. …So this older guy, when he was 20 he’d been involved with not one but two different instances of major theft: two bank heists, let’s say. It’s thirty years past that, and he knows that the rest are all ~25 years old. …So, the guy says, “Hey, I’m the guy that’s gone longest in this room without having done anything even the least bit dishonest”. Something like that.
Same case, right?
Now, among the guys doing the interview thing, there’s someone that knows the old guy. And the rest of the people doing the hiring ask him, Hey, is that true, what that guy said?
While it would technically be correct if the guy now simply answered with a Yes; but it would be patently dishonest to do that, completely misleading, patently wrong.
The only honest answer to that question --- at a FACTUAL level --- would be for this guy to say: ‘Well, both yes and no.’ With a brief sentence in explanation. That is, regardless of how he phrases his answer, the only honest way to answer that question is to clearly explain.
----------
(Which, of course, is not to say that’s necessarily a deal-breaker. That’s a separate matter. Lots of other questions will then come up, like has the guy actually repented and turned over a new leaf? Etc.)
(Incidentally, I don’t think the guy, in this case, has actually repented, or turned over a new leaf. It’s just that what he’s stolen when he was 20 years old was instrumental in his having become very wealthy, which is why he’s never been visited with the situation that either he steals or else he faces a difficult situation. (At least he’s not a kleptomaniac, that steals even when his pockets are already bulging with cash, that much I suppose we can give him.) …Which does add some comfort, in the sense that there’s no need for this wealthy guy to steal any more now. …On the other hand, should he someday find himself poor again, then it might well be that this guy, who’s once had no compunction in stealing, who’s never actually repented, and who’d benefited so handsomely from his last experience of stealing, and who’s never had occasion to ever regret his past dishonesty but on the contrary has taken away the life lesson that dishonesty pays, and pays handsomely: might he not help himself to whatever he can lay his hands on all over again if he ever found himself in straitened circumstances again? …And not to forget, the old guy’s got this Mr Hyde thing going, he’s sometimes given to attacks of insanity, when he paints himself orange and when he does that then all bets are off about what he might do or not do. …All of that’s something the interview board will have to figure out.)
(You spoke of interpretation, Roboramma. Both those parentheses above, below the separator line? They’re interpretation. But the answer to the question, Is this guy telling the truth when he claims that he’s gone longer than the rest of the candidates without having done anything dishonest? The only honest answer to that question, at a FACTUAL level, is, Both yes and no; with a brief explanation.)
If you want a Yes answer to that question, that is not dishonest, then you’ll need to talk not about whether it is factually true, but about whether it is technically true, and in fact word in like I’d suggested in my post the other day. (Not that I think, any more, that you’re out to somehow extract a Yes answer, as I’d imagined last time when I was talking with you. Just putting what I said then in context of this analogy.)
…Sorry, I seem to have ended up making this way longer than I intended to when I started out typing! But hopefully, it conveys my meaning, why I think just a Yes is not the right answer, not even at a FACTUAL level? As opposed to merely at a technical level?