• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

"Misgendering" is now a federal offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit that "mispronouning" is a new one for me. At first I thought it said "mispronouncing", which is a word I know. Man, I thought, even mispronouncing someone's name is a crime now?

So if someone decides that their pronouns are His Magesty, Your Magesty, or the like, or weird ones like Xir and Xim, now you have to know and use those too?
 
I have to admit that "mispronouning" is a new one for me. At first I thought it said "mispronouncing", which is a word I know. Man, I thought, even mispronouncing someone's name is a crime now?

So if someone decides that their pronouns are His Magesty, Your Magesty, or the like, or weird ones like Xir and Xim, now you have to know and use those too?
The key thing is to have the DEI hire.
Cliche alert
The devil makes work for idle hands.
Think of all those wasted years where we just had no idea how we could be complete imbeciles.
 
For completeness, MHC is a women's college.
It should probably also be noted that, though a women's college, its policy has been to be open to transgender and non-binary students for quite a long time. Making sure that the school's policy of acceptance is followed may not be as controversial as it looks. It is still a private college, which requires admission, so it seems pretty likely that if autistic boys with boners start moving into the dormitories, the problem will be somewhere other than a policy regarding people's chosen gender identity.

And, though I ought not to need to say it, this example, even if it is possible it happened somewhere in the world, and even if you are entirely right in believing that transgender people are the scum of the earth and deserve all the opprobrium they can get...even then, when discussing the internal policies of a private college with regard to the students it has admitted, it's an irrelevant, inflammatory absurdity.
 
"Misgendering" and "mispronouning" are, as of August 1, federal offenses under Title IX, as explained in the memo, below, to the faculty of Mount Holyoke College signed by the Provost and Sharon Lynch, the Assistant Vice Provost for Compliance. Moreover, if a student complains that they have been "subject to incorrect use of their pronouns," faculty are required to report the incident to the college's compliance office. Faculty are also required to report incidents of "open mocking of [the college's] Pronoun Policy."

So, they are establishing that harrassment is bad? THE BASTARDS! Nex tthing you know, crowds of white students won't be able to chase black students around scream the n word!

Hard to think of a more appropriate name for the head of the Compliance Office than "Lynch."

I don't find it surprising at all that your vocabularly is so limited, but that's a you problem.
 
I have to admit that "mispronouning" is a new one for me. At first I thought it said "mispronouncing", which is a word I know. Man, I thought, even mispronouncing someone's name is a crime now?

So if someone decides that their pronouns are His Magesty, Your Magesty, or the like, or weird ones like Xir and Xim, now you have to know and use those too?
Has "majesty" or the heretofore nonexistent "magesty" been slid through the back door to pronoun-hood behind our backs? New pronouns invented in secret? Those sneaky grammatoclastic perverts, not only coming after your private parts but the parts of your very speech! Gird what loins you have left, grab your pitchforks, sheeple, before its too late!
 
Title IX is federal law.

Title IX is a requirement for educational insitutions that do business with the federal government. No one goes to jail if said requirements are not met.
 
Title IX is a requirement for educational insitutions that do business with the federal government. No one goes to jail if said requirements are not met.

It's also worth noting that what's at issue here isn't really Title IX itself, but the latest DOE regulations related to Title IX enforcement. Laws often give federal agencies authority to create regulations to enforce those laws, but that doesn't automatically mean that any regulation made in the name of that law is actually supported by that law. Federal agencies can overstep their authority in creating regulations, and the courts sometimes slap them down when they do.
 
Ooooh...lots of pearl-clutching from those who loved to fling the word "snowflake" around...

COPE guys...and whatever it is you are feeling? Well you are the only ones feeling it...

This is a very odd argument to make in defense of a policy for protecting student's feelings.
 
Ah, one of those rare moments when you can tell the premise of a thread is false by the title alone.
 
This is a very odd argument to make in defense of a policy for protecting student's feelings.
Maybe so, but this is a pretty specific instance being talked about here. It involves the harassment, ostracism, possible alienation and disenfranchisement (in a word, bullying) of the students in a specific college, who have been explicitly admitted to that college under policies that explicitly accept their gender identity, and who, it appears from the college's stated policies, are thus entitled to full inclusion. Mount Holyoke has an acceptance rate of about 40 percent. This is not about how you behave in public. It is how you behave toward your colleagues or students whose inclusion is no different from the inclusion that puts you there yourself. Everyone who is either a teacher or a student at Mount Holyoke must by now be aware of the college's policies, and if they are not acceptable they should find other ways to deal with that than simply violating them.

It's undoubtedly my own bias that somehow hears you reciting your post to yourself with a few extra "e"s in "feeeeelings" here, but I think the policy under discussion here has more substance than that.
 
I have to admit that "mispronouning" is a new one for me. At first I thought it said "mispronouncing", which is a word I know. Man, I thought, even mispronouncing someone's name is a crime now?

So if someone decides that their pronouns are His Magesty, Your Magesty, or the like, or weird ones like Xir and Xim, now you have to know and use those too?

Don't worry, my fellow forumite. I have a "life hack" that will help you through all of this, and not just you but everyone that has an issue. If it's that big of a deal just CALL THEM BY THEIR ******* NAME. I know, a little out of the box, but I'm glad to help when I can.
 
Don't worry, my fellow forumite. I have a "life hack" that will help you through all of this, and not just you but everyone that has an issue. If it's that big of a deal just CALL THEM BY THEIR ******* NAME. I know, a little out of the box, but I'm glad to help when I can.

But what is someone do when they decide that person X is obviously not a "Norma" and they are sure it should be "Norman"? How dare we force them to use Norma!
 
But what is someone do when they decide that person X is obviously not a "Norma" and they are sure it should be "Norman"? How dare we force them to use Norma!

I would think forcing people to take part in a lie - that a person can change their sex - is pretty egregious. Freedom of conscience be damned. That's some Soviet crap.
 
Last edited:
I would think forcing people to take part in a lie - that a person can change their sex - is pretty egregious. Freedom of conscience be damned. That some Soviet crap.

Seriously **** off with that nonsense. How are you guys so butthurt about this? Show me on the doll where calling someone by the gender\name they want to be called by hurt you!
 
Seriously **** off with that nonsense. How are you guys so butthurt about this? Show me on the doll where calling someone by the gender\name they want to be called by hurt you!

Why are you okay with the State policing what you can and cannot say?
 
Why are you okay with the State policing what you can and cannot say?

Because I don't view it the same as you do. I'm pro-treating people with respect. There is only 1 reason to disregard this law, and that's to be degrading, insulting and rude. College campuses generally pride themselves on being inclusive. If that bothers you then let me introduce you to another life hack, stay the **** away from college campuses. I'm sure they would appreciate it.
 
Because I don't view it the same as you do. I'm pro-treating people with respect. There is only 1 reason to disregard this law, and that's to be degrading, insulting and rude. College campuses generally pride themselves on being inclusive. If that bothers you then let me introduce you to another life hack, stay the **** away from college campuses. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

If you really support inclusivity, you'd not compel people to believe in a gender soul. You'd not compel other students to take part in another student's sexual paraphilia. You apparently have no consideration for anyone else.
 
If you really support inclusivity, you'd not compel people to believe in a gender soul. You'd not compel other students to take part in another student's sexual paraphilia. You apparently have no consideration for anyone else.

Ah yes, the aggressors are the true victims! Harumph, harumph, harumph!

Calling people by their name, whatever preferred name that is, doesn't involve any of the crybaby bull **** you spouted here. It's just calling them by their name. That's it. You don't even have to mention their gender, or their sexuality at all. Anyone can change their name when they want, so again, call people by their ******* name and drop it. Why is that so hard for you? Because you can't play the victim while doing it? Your feelings don't get hurt enough?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom