smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
Edited by jimbob:rule 0/12 violation removed
Firstly, you put a lot of store in the opinions of philosophers. I don't. I regard their opinions as being not worth Jack ****. Even Douglas Adams understood that philosophers were next to useless when it comes to dealing in facts and evidence. Their expertise lies in "rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty"
Secondly, I read the sentence "on the basis of their reproductive functions" differently from the way you read it.
You are reading it as if it is referring to the current status of each individual.
I read it as referring generally to the species as a whole.
I disagree with your reading, and I will continue to disagree with your reading.
I regard the statement as referring the the general biology of the species, therefore, I take that sentence to mean...
Those members of the human race whose biological functions are consistent with the ability to produce large gametes (even if at any time they do not do so for any reason) are female.
Those members of the human race whose biological functions are consistent with the ability to produce small gametes (even if at any time they do not do so for any reason)are male.
This is the definition I use, and the one I will always use, regardless of any minority of backward thinkers you quote.
If you don't share the particular characteristic that defines the category then you don't get a category membership card. Why you can't qualify as a teenager unless you're actually between the ages of 13 & 19 inclusive.
And? What has this to do with anything?
The Definition of Human is "a bipedal primate mammal (Homo sapiens)" .
By your definition, a human who was born with a genetic defect that resulted in them being born without one or both legs is not human. Same goes for someone who has had one or both legs amputated. They are no longer bipedal, and since, "If you don't share the particular characteristic that defines the category then you don't get a category membership card."
I've had a vasectomy - so I don't produce small gametes anymore. Does that mean I'm not a male? Not a man? By your logic, that dehumanizes me in the exact reprehensible way that you misogynistically dehumanize post menopausal women.
Last edited by a moderator: