• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Luton Airport Car Park Fire III

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, as noted, he left in 2013. Second, according to this Forbes article, his stake was less than five percent. The term "owns" generally implies a controlling interest.

Under U.S. law that is below the threshold requirement to be listed on a company's proxy report. Not only does less than 5% not even remotely qualify as ownership, it isn't even reportable.
 
You are right in principle that may return more useful information in the image and what would be needed is to extract each frame and then by hand line up and merge and make judgement calls on each frame.

To amend my previous contribution: yes, this would eliminate noise from frame to frame. But stacking requires careful alignment, as you note. In astronomy this is achieved by slewing the telescope appropriately (i.e., by means outside the image processing workflow). I'm similarly skeptical that the degree of blur will permit alignment to the degree required to reliably extract an outline.

Incidentally this is a technique I've used to remove tourists from photos of famous landmarks. You take a series of photos with the camera locked down. Then in Photoshop, you stack the pictures; the algorithm decides that a tourist in an individual frame is "noise" and replaces them with the prevailing landmark pixels.
 
Smart Cooky confirms the numberplate in that video can't be read, so the person claiming it was that aforesaid number was just guessing.

Does not follow. We're speaking about the person who uploaded the video, right? The uploaded video may be more compressed than the original, which the uploader may have at hand.
 
So yet another car park fire. Seem to be coming an everyday occurrence.

BBC


The dealership is Vauxhall, so OK to mention the brand in this case. ;)

How come Sunak didn't embargo this information? I thought that the whole investment in EV batteries, no matter the make, is relevant to the new factory.
 
... Incidentally this is a technique I've used to remove tourists from photos of famous landmarks. You take a series of photos with the camera locked down. Then in Photoshop, you stack the pictures; the algorithm decides that a tourist in an individual frame is "noise" and replaces them with the prevailing landmark pixels.

Oh, this needs to be made to work in real life, for the tourists who step out of the London Underground, see something they recognise and stop dead in the doorway.
 
(I've also ran Topaz Video on the video clip as well and that can't (not really surprising) resolve anything more that I can with a single frame.)

You are right in principle that may return more useful information in the image and what would be needed is to extract each frame and then by hand line up and merge and make judgement calls on each frame. However, I don't think it will bring out much more useful information as the resolution is so small, the video reports it is 1920x1080 (idiot iPhone user who took it in portrait) but the actual image size is only 600x1064 and the numberplate is around 40x10 pixels so there is little information, even without the smoke, to pickup on.

Well, however they did it, the circumstantial evidence suggests that they did get the correct reg; I saw on another site that the number plate was for a while, after the fire, not allocated to a vehicle, which would tie in with it being destroyed and then replaced later.
 
How come Sunak didn't embargo this information? I thought that the whole investment in EV batteries, no matter the make, is relevant to the new factory.

Maybe it just slipped through the net. Maybe EV fires are at truly catastrophic levels worldwide but Sunak is successfully embargoing 99% of reports. We just can't tell.
 
Well, however they did it, the circumstantial evidence suggests that they did get the correct reg; I saw on another site that the number plate was for a while, after the fire, not allocated to a vehicle, which would tie in with it being destroyed and then replaced later.

The video clip is a standard resolution however the "video image" itself is embedded in that and isn't a standard resolution so I'd bet the original is of a better quality even if it just hasn't been through one de/re-compression stage.
 
It's also worth noting that even if the vehicle that started the fire at the Vauxhall dealership was an EV or hybrid, that doesn't necessarily mean that it was the Li-ion battery that caused the fire. EVs and hybrids are full of flammable materials just like an ICE vehicle, and they have electrical harnesses that can suffer faults.

It sounds like the dealership may have informed the fire service that at least one of the vehicles that burned was an EV or hybrid, but they aren't sure yet which one started the fire. This certainly doesn't qualify as the "I told you so" that Vixen obviously thinks it is. There are over 30,000,000 passenger cars in the UK, so even if only a tiny fraction of a percent will catch fire annually, that's still a common occurrence. I suspect the "EVs are extremely volatile and burn with the heat of a supernova" crowd are searching for stories with the tags "car fire" and "electric", and ignoring the vast number of ICE fires that occur as well.
 
Maybe it just slipped through the net. Maybe EV fires are at truly catastrophic levels worldwide but Sunak is successfully embargoing 99% of reports. We just can't tell.

This morning I saw a massive fire ball on the horizon that looked just like the EV conspiracy theory description of an EV fire. My wife said it was just the sun and sighed her special sigh for me, but I'm not convinced.
 
This morning I saw a massive fire ball on the horizon that looked just like the EV conspiracy theory description of an EV fire. My wife said it was just the sun and sighed her special sigh for me, but I'm not convinced.

Sunak has been at her!
 
This morning I saw a massive fire ball on the horizon that looked just like the EV conspiracy theory description of an EV fire. My wife said it was just the sun and sighed her special sigh for me, but I'm not convinced.

Incidentally, last time I saw someone saying something similar

https://x.com/VaxxersAnti/status/1789093538518499529

I replied it the same way as now.

"Tell me you don't live in Manchester without using those words"
 
Just shows the ignorance of southerners - it's not Manchester that doesn't see The Sun, that's Liverpool!

An entirely appropriate response for this thread as that's a complete conflation of two things with similar names.
 
Well, however they did it, the circumstantial evidence suggests that they did get the correct reg; I saw on another site that the number plate was for a while, after the fire, not allocated to a vehicle, which would tie in with it being destroyed and then replaced later.

And here is a screenshot I found, contemporaneous with the period shortly after the fire*, of the MOT record. It show the plate belonging to a 2014 Range Rover Sport, Diesel and coloured Red

E10EFL-2.jpeg


* Posted on the Ten Tenths motorsport forum, in December of 2023
https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4190363&postcount=1652
 
Last edited:
And here is a screenshot I found, contemporaneous with the period immediately after the fire, of the MOT record. It show the plate belonging to a 2014 Range Rover Sport, Diesel and coloured Red

[qimg]https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pbpq0hjvjofh2aukath7j/E10EFL-2.jpeg?rlkey=cc4vjwp2qapiitzrsenrgvstz&raw=1[/qimg]

Yes, I quoted that above. :)
 
First, as noted, he left in 2013. Second, according to this Forbes article, his stake was less than five percent. The term "owns" generally implies a controlling interest.

Sunak left TCIF in 2009 to join Santa Monica-based Theleme Partners, a fund set up by former TCIF cofounder Patrick Degorce. Sunak owned less than 5% of the firm, which had $2.2 billion in assets under management according to the last available disclosure form filed in February 2013. He left Theleme in 2013 to launch Catamaran Ventures UK with his wife, Akshata.​

In fairness, I observe that the article also states that Sunak and his wife cofounded Catamaran; I'd read earlier that her father owned the company. However, she has announced that Catamaran will be winding down its operations this year.

ETA: Reading further, I see that they founded Caramaran UK, a subsidiary of Catamaran, which is owned by her father.

It is an LLP, thus a limited liability partnership and thus is not governed by number of shares but by partner contract. Co-partner Patrick Degorce was charged with defrauding HMRC of £80m. No surprise Sunak now distances himself but according to various sources he is still linked to Theleme. The Good Law Project has been consistently fobbed off over this issue https://x.com/JodieDa30421786/status/1790401793626685773 but why can't Sunak just give a straight answer? Why the need to be opaque? The salient issue is that we have no idea what Sunak's financial interests are. As he and his family has strong links to Tata, his interests should be openly declared on the Ministerial register otherwise, of course, people are going to assume he does have some kind of personal interest in Tata JLR.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom