• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Luton Airport Car Park Fire III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, Vixen's already confidently pronounced that she's a top-notch, diligent, precise and scrupulously accurate researcher. :rolleyes:


ETA: How utterly bizarre that junkshop and I used exactly the same adjectives at the same time!


What other words could possblly do justice to such top-notch, dilligent research? I assumed that the precision and scrupulous accuracy were self-evident, and went without saying, but as the saying goes: to assume is to err, to god is worth two in the hand. No kissing.
 
Last edited:
He gets contacted by the British public in the know. He neither endorses nor rejects their views, he relays whatever is an interesting topic of the day. That doesn't mean one has to agree with him. It is like listening to a radio phone-in; some people talk sense others not. Some people seem terrified of coming across a view different from their own and cannot bear to listen so will shout and talk over people. I am not that type.

I can't make head nor tail of the above. Is all that supposed to be evidence that Geoff Buys Cars is an expert when it comes to recognizing lithium battery fires?

Because, after all, that's what we're discussing: whether you really did offer two bona fide experts who have suggested that this fire started in a car with a lithium ion battery.
 
Fine. I look forward to the make, name, year and model of the car being confirmed in the report.

Do you?

I'll bet that things go like this: The report will probably give a make, year and model (name seems redundant), though I can't be certain since I don't know what such reports usually contain. It will definitely comment on that the vehicle had a diesel ICE motor. I don't know whether they will have identified the exact cause of the fire.

You will go silent for a little while after the release of the report and eventually will return. You will start by criticizing certain aspects of the report, casting suspicions that it was influenced by the powers above and eventually outright saying that Car Zero was a hybrid or EV of some sort.

And so, in the end, the report will not influence your opinion even a little bit. It will just be another bit of evidence to overcome.

I look forward to seeing if I'm right. But if I'm wrong, I promise to admit it.
 
Why? It will not conform to your fantasy and you will therefore claim that the actual info is being suppressed by..... someone, in order to protect some upper class twit.

Damn. That was a bit more succinct than mine.
 
He gets contacted by the British public in the know. He neither endorses nor rejects their views, he relays whatever is an interesting topic of the day. That doesn't mean one has to agree with him. It is like listening to a radio phone-in; some people talk sense others not. Some people seem terrified of coming across a view different from their own and cannot bear to listen so will shout and talk over people. I am not that type.
:rolleyes: Evidence for this assertion?

And where are your "many experts"? :rolleyes:
 
Indeed, the "many experts" seems to have devolved into a semi-anonymous social media frenzy. Because it's not real science unless it's in the comments section.
 
LOL!

Vixen, what do depth of field or light quality have to do with establishing the precise orientation of the camera in order to determine the orientation of the floor in the images being discussed?

Once more, let's say someone shoots a photograph looking down a hallway. The camera is centered down the hallway laterally, but is tilted upward by 5° relative to the floor. What can you determine about the actual slope of the floor relative to true level from that image? The answer is "nothing". The hall could be perfectly level with the camera tilted upward by 5° relative to true level. The hallway could be sloping upward (away from the camera lens) at 5°, with the camera at 10° from true level. The hallway could be sloping downward at 30° with the camera aimed down by 25°. Hell, the hallway could even be a vertical shaft with the camera aimed down by 85°. In any of those scenarios the images shot by the camera would look exactly the same, because there's no reference point to tell you where true level is.

Yet you're looking at the second photo and assuming the floor is sloping down away from the camera because you make the unwarranted assumption that the camera is aligned with true level. The very fact that you've attempted to defend this erroneous assumption with irrelevant appeals to artistic perspective, depth of field setting and lighting conditions proves that you don't know what you're talking about, or at the very least, that you'll never admit to being wrong about this. Your attempts to establish empirical evidence to back up your "deep fake" claims regarding those images have completely failed.

This is a prime example of Vixens inability to grasp even basic concepts because of her need for fulfilment of her conspiracy theory...
This is a picture of a basic laundry room for example
Screenshot-from-2024-04-30-08-04-49.png

Plain, simple, very ordinary....
However- in reality...
Screenshot-from-2024-04-30-08-05-07.png
 
Ah well, I only ever saw three or four of his videos - rarely had time to watch all the way through. Seemed articulate enough.

Okay, let's scratch him from the list of experts who suggest that the initial vehicle had a lithium ion battery.

That leaves us with the literally self-described Auto Expert. So, he has "a degree" in Mechanical Engineering. My guess is that it's an undergraduate degree, though if he did some accounting work afterward, I guess he could say he had postgrad work in Mechanical Engineering or something.

He also has worked as a journalist, specializing in autos.

So, is this the sort of expert that you have in mind? Is it just him or is there another expert or two you'd like to suggest?
 
FWIW, Mechanical Engineering programs teach you next to nothing about cars. Automotive Engineering is a separate field.


I was about to say, I started in Mechanical Engineering and switched to Mechanical Engineering Technology, (more hands-on, less theory, less calculus), and I know relatively little about cars (which is slightly embarrassing). I have asthma, and I've always been overweight, so my dad, who taught power mechanics, always did any minor work on my car; anything major I had my friend the mechanic do, or else I took it to a shop. But I definitely didn't learn anything to speak of about cars in my ME or MET degree programs.

I do recall one time when my dad was working on mine, I asked him if there was a book I could read to learn to work on cars, and he replied, "No, you just have to do it."
 
I do recall one time when my dad was working on mine, I asked him if there was a book I could read to learn to work on cars, and he replied, "No, you just have to do it."

Haynes repair manuals are usually helpful. I learned separately how to work on cars, via working with knowledgeable people, following Haynes, and lots of other hands-on experience. One thing we actually tell people as teachers of engineering is, "Don't work on your own car." That's because you'll really screw things up going in with a head full of theory and no street smarts. The factory/manufacturer repair manuals are de rigueur, or the third-party ones like Haynes (most times).

"I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering" is not tantamount to, "I know the gory details of how cars—or some specific car—works.
 
Haynes repair manuals are usually helpful. I learned separately how to work on cars, via working with knowledgeable people, following Haynes, and lots of other hands-on experience. One thing we actually tell people as teachers of engineering is, "Don't work on your own car." That's because you'll really screw things up going in with a head full of theory and no street smarts. The factory/manufacturer repair manuals are de rigueur, or the third-party ones like Haynes (most times).

"I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering" is not tantamount to, "I know the gory details of how cars—or some specific car—works.

But it DOES mean that I can tell a lithium ion battery fire from other kinds of fires, right?
 
You mean that being a chef doesn't make you a brilliant surgeon???
I mean, a chef knows how to use knives, and a surgeon knows how to use knives, so a cook from McDonalds will definitely be able to perform brain surgery right???
 
This conversation reminds me of a good friend.

He has Bachelors, Masters and PhD in Engineering (Micro electronics and Bio).

When people find out that he's an engineer people say:

"Can you fix my car?"

When he explains that he is biomedical electronic engineer, they say:

"Can you fix my toaster?"

:D
 
Fine. I look forward to the make, name, year and model of the car being confirmed in the report.

Rollin' in my eight two, Corolla
'Cause I'm a pimp, a high Rollah
Just Kickin' it, Just pippin' it
Yo, Bit** I ain't said ****


I masked "bitch" even though it's not auto-censored, because I don't want Vixen to think I'm saying that to her. I like Vixen well enough. this is just an old rap of mine from maybe '94
 
Last edited:
You mean that being a chef doesn't make you a brilliant surgeon???
I mean, a chef knows how to use knives, and a surgeon knows how to use knives, so a cook from McDonalds will definitely be able to perform brain surgery right???

that's absurd.
I am in medical coding, though, so I'm basically a surgeon.
gabeygoat MD, coming to a stream near you
 
I’m an accountant who lives near CERN and I often wander over to lend a hand with their data analysis because, you know, numbers.
 
This conversation reminds me of a good friend.

He has Bachelors, Masters and PhD in Engineering (Micro electronics and Bio).

When people find out that he's an engineer people say:

"Can you fix my car?"


A friend of mine has a PhD in quantum mechanics. He can only fix cars if they're more than 1.6×10-35m long.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom