• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Transwomen are not Women - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's sorta of what I'm getting at. That's already what we do, just with more theatrics to hide it and not make it so obvious.

(Again this is a thought working in progress, not a solid argument I'm presenting just yet)

No one has a right to a category in which they are the best.

On the other hand everyone has a wish that they should not be completely obliterated if they are going to compete in something, that they should at least have a chance. Hence classes, hence male/female differentiation.

Throwing ideas out in the same way you are, for what they are worth.
 
How many females do you think is an acceptable number to be excluded from female sport before you consider it enough to qualify as "total collapse"?
I don't think it was acceptable that a single female got bumped to make room for Laurel Hubbard, but a "total collapse" would mean those leagues and competitions ceased operation.

What portion of participants do you think female athletes should be required to accommodate at the expense of females before you think it's a "big enough" problem?
I objected to Hubbard in the first iteration of the thread.

The entire premise of this part of the discussion is whether or not a LACK OF SEX-BASED EXCLUSIONS would result in total collapse.
Right. It's pointless speculation that cannot be tested without multiversal travel.
 
And I keep coming back to this.

We can make different "levels" of competitive sports without any of this.

We don't separate people in minor and major league sports by measuring their bone and muscle density and testosterones levels. We have them play the sport and the top .01% go in the major league and the top .1% go int the minor league and exactly zero existential crises related to identity or categorization happens.

Is the Captain of the team who hoist the Calder Cup (the minor league hockey trophy) going to feel like he really isn't winning because somewhere else someone is hoisting the Stanley Cup?

Like I feel like a lot of voices in this discussion are treating "I want to be able to pretend like I'm the best at something in a specific demographic category but I have to be able to lie to myself and pretend like the category isn't arbitrary" as more true then it is.

Like I sorta thought we all understood that subcategories only existed if you want to break it down mathematically there is exactly one person who's the absolute best at any specific thing and that gets depressing. That's why we have weight classes and minor versus major league sports and we all, I think, just get even if it's unspoken that that is all a way for more of us to say we are "the best" at something. But like it doesn't "mean" anything.

If being the fastest female runner in the 45-65 age demographic is the same thing as being the 10,435,546th fastest runner in the world... then it's the same thing. Just because you're the "best" in a category that we, let us drop the pretense here, made up so more people can be the best in something I thought we all got what we were doing and why we were doing it. Like it doesn't actually make you the best.

There is one fastest runner on the planet. There is one person who can throw a shot put the farthest. There is one person who can deadlift the most weight. All the rest of us are "The fastest running..... with these caveats" and I don't know if "Okay but these categories are obviously needed and these aren't" is something we're all agreeing on.

Like having separate women's categories is nice but... I don't know if the base human right we're treating it as.

I don't know if I fully agree that "Women have a right to category just so they can call themselves the best at something" is

Imagine this. Imagine I say I'm the fastest running left handed atheist veteran who drives a Chevy, has O+ blood, a social security number that ends in (redacted), is married to a woman who's last name starts with an M, has beat Dark Souls using only Daggers, and blah blah blah... and so forth and so on.

At a certain point I can add enough modifiers to make myself the best at anything but we'd all get what I was doing what people don't get is that exactly what we are doing anyway, it's just a matter of degree.

There seems to be a sweet spot of "Enough modifiers so I can say I'm the best at something, but not so many that it's obvious that's what you are doing."

Like women are made that putting transwomen into the mix is going to put an asterisks over what they do but there's an asterisks, it's called "Women's sports."

By your argument, Joe, we shouldn't have little league competitions, because the age limitations are an arbitrary modifier and there's really only one best baseball player. The fact that the one actual best baseball player is an adult shouldn't matter, those kids should just suck it up and realize that they suck and there's no hope and no chance for them.

The whole issue here is that pound-for-pound, inch-for-inch, males are stronger and faster than females. If you remove the sex categorization in sport, then you *will* end up with EVERY SINGLE PROFESSIONAL AND SEMI-PRO COMPETITOR always being male, and you'll end up with pretty much EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON CLUB TEAMS also being male. You end up in a situation where any time anyone starts a club or team for any athletics... it will always be filled with males.

The result of this is that females simply aren't allowed to play sports.

The reason that we have sex-based leagues, the reason we have age-based leagues, the reason we have weight-based leagues is exactly because there are some physical attributes that will dominate.

The heavyweight boxing champ is, pretty much unquestionably, going to be the best boxer over all. No question. But part of the reason that the heavyweight is going to be the best is because they are the biggest, and in boxing size matters a lot. We recognize that some portion of the win for a heavyweight is not based on their skill or their technique at all, it's based exclusively on them being big. That's great, to an extent. But most people are not interested in watching a big guy beat up a little guy, and they're definitely not interested in watching a big guy with mediocre technique beat up a little guy who has excellent skills and is crazy fast. We all know - as spectators and participants - that the little guy in that scenario is the better boxer, they little guy has the skills and the technique and the speed that makes boxing fun to watch. But if you pair that featherweight with a heavyweight, you will pretty much always end up with a poorly trained gorilla winning despite being a **** boxer.

Part of why Tyson was such an incredible boxer, and remains one of the all time absolute best ever is specifically because he was a little guy - he was invariably shorter than his competitors, with a shorter reach - and those are things that actually matter in boxing. But despite being the smaller guy in the ring, he consistently beat much bigger boxers - and *that* makes Tyson ******* incredible. If Tyson had been the same size as their competitors, they'd still probably have won, but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as captivating to watch, it would have been normal.

We have divisions because that allows us to showcase and recognize the skills and abilities of athletes within the limitations of their physicality. You seem to be acting like the asterisk is somehow a detriment, something to be ashamed of, it's a move from pity. I don't think it is - rather I think it demonstrates that you're probably not much of a sports fan.

Which is fine, I'm not a huge sports fan myself. But I have had a few sports that I like, or have participated in in the past. And I understand that the asterisk isn't there so that the participants can feel good. It's there because both skill and body play a part in competitiveness. We don't have control over the body, but we can hone the skills - and we like to see and recognize the excellence of a honed skill.

Look, for a while my spouse and I were bow shooting. My spouse is much larger than me, and has the advantages of being male. Their bow had a much heavier draw than mine, they could shoot much further than me. That's the result of their body, not their actual shooting skill. No matter how much I practiced, I'm never ever going to be able to draw their bow and accurately shoot with it. At 5'2", I will never, ever have the musculature that they have at 6'2", it's not going to happen. I will never, ever be able to draw as far as they can, because my arms are shorter. That means that no matter what, my arrows will never have as much force behind them as their do.

In bow shooting, that force is what keeps the arrow moving in a straight line. The more force behind it, the straighter it flies with less drop, and with less interference from cross-breezes or spin. If my spouse and I were both shooting at the same distance, they would always, always, always win. There's no way around it. But not because they were a better *shot* or because they had better *aim*. When we shot at bow-weight adjusted distances, I was more accurate. I had greater *skill* than my spouse, even though they were *bigger*.

On the other hand, there was also a 13 year old female who was at the range with us pretty regularly, and they could beat the pants off me any day. They were incredible. We only shot for fun and exercise, they were competing.
 
Last edited:
Short version of this... I am old and out of shape and short. But I will beat a five year old in a foot race pretty much any day. Not because I'm a better runner, but just because I have longer legs.
 
Last edited:
- This also loops back to the fact that we segregate by sex in things which absolutely aren't physical like chess and poker. Explain to me why we have a different professional league for women's darts.

- And yes I'm not stupid I know that really this is just gonna loop back to the base question (is sex biological or do you just to get to make up your own rules that feel right for you) and we're gonna wind up right back where we started, but there's a vaguely interesting side street detour we can take on this loop.
 
Not exactly. I'm thinking outloud I'm not getting to a point just yet.

I'm saying at the end of the day it's ALL just making up categories so more then just one person can be "the best" at something.

I'm saying "I have a right to a category where I am (or have a viable shot at) being the best" is... weird.

The entire purpose of having those categories is that we can celebrate those who are the best within the limitations of their physicality.

Think about Lia Thomas and swimming. Thomas was an absolutely mediocre male swimmer. Barely competitive. When competing against females, however, they won with ease, and often appeared to be not even working for the win.

Thomas didn't win those competitions because they were a good swimmer - they aren't that good a swimmer. They only won because they have a male physique. The females that they beat were better swimmers. They had better skills, were better trained. But they were female, so they were smaller.

Nobody wants to watch Usain Bolt in a footrace against 10 year olds. We all know who will win, and we all know that Bolt wouldn't even have to actually try. Bolt could probably *walk* the race faster than a 10yo at full speed. But nobody's going to enjoy that - the spectators won't enjoy it, the kids will feel cheated, hell if they have any sense of decency, Bolt themselves would be embarrassed to win against children.
 
Short version of this... I am old and out of shape and short. But I will beat a five year old in a foot race pretty much any day. Not because I'm a better run, but just because I have longer legs.

Than you would be the better runner. A foot race is about who can cover the same amount of ground in less time.

Ever notice that marathons don't have weight classes, but people weighting over 250 tend not to win? That's because their weight works against them. Same for boxing, except we want weight divisions to keep it "fair".

Fair means may the best athlete win, not the best if you limit the competitors to the easier ones.
 
I don't think it was acceptable that a single female got bumped to make room for Laurel Hubbard, but a "total collapse" would mean those leagues and competitions ceased operation.

*IF* we don't take action to stop it, *THEN* the most likely outcome is that male leagues will be filled with males, female leagues will be filled with males, and females are just ******. You can fancy it up with language if you want to, but the end result is that there would no longer be female leagues in any rational sense of the word.

If you really want to quibble, then I won't say "total collapse". Instead I'll say "reach a point where the winners are males in almost every single case at every level of competition, all the time, and where females are at best a small number of participants who manage to make it into the sport because not enough males decided they wanted to participate"

Is that better for you?
 
I guess in the broadest strokes I'm asking what psychologically separates a meaningful category that still feels like a "win" from one that feels like a participation trophy or a win with an asterisks.
 
I seem to remember in one of the earliest UFC fights, a 200 lb Savate guy went up against a 350lb or some such **** Sumo wrestler. The Savate guy literally kicked the Sumo guys teeth out.
 
- This also loops back to the fact that we segregate by sex in things which absolutely aren't physical like chess and poker. Explain to me why we have a different professional league for women's darts.

For different reasons altogether. It's not always a single reason that holds for every possible scenario.

Historically, most competitions have been male dominated. At least some of that has been because it has been socially unacceptable for females to be competitive. As a result of that, there have been a lot of competitions where there's no arguable reason for females to not be included - they were excluded for social reasons alone.

In those cases, the separate categories were implemented for a two-fold reason. First, to garner more interest from females overall. Second, to shield the females who wanted to compete from the harassment and mistreatment that they faced from males when they tried to participate.

Some of those separations for social reasons could arguably be removed now. I don't think poker has any sex-based competitions at the highest levels, and I believe that females can and do compete in the finals with no problems.

ETA: We don't have sex-separated bathrooms because males are innately better at pooping than females are. So yeah - different reasons for different scenarios.
 
I seem to remember in one of the earliest UFC fights, a 200 lb Savate guy went up against a 350lb or some such **** Sumo wrestler. The Savate guy literally kicked the Sumo guys teeth out.

The very FIRST UFC fight in fact, Gerard Gordeau (Savate) vs Teila Tuli (Sumo)

The bigger one was the absolutely massive Emmanuel Yarbrough (600 lbs, one of if not the largest athlete ever) against Keith Hackney (who barely broke 200) at UFC 3, again with the smaller fighter winning.

But this was back in the early days of UFC where it legit was as close to unrestrained fighting as you could get without a murder charge.
 
Than you would be the better runner. A foot race is about who can cover the same amount of ground in less time.

Ever notice that marathons don't have weight classes, but people weighting over 250 tend not to win? That's because their weight works against them. Same for boxing, except we want weight divisions to keep it "fair".

Fair means may the best athlete win, not the best if you limit the competitors to the easier ones.

If you pair me against a five year old, I will win, but I'm NOT the best athlete. I'm an absolutely **** athlete nowadays. I suck at running, I always have.

I'm not a better runner. I have longer legs.

If you pair me and a blind person in a painting competition, I'm going to win. I'm not a good painter, I'm not even a mediocre painter. I would not be winning a painting competition, I'd be effectively winning a seeing competition.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom