Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
The lawyers argue that they had to work without pay for five years, and if they lost, they would have got nothing. Apparently, law is a high-risk, high-profit business.
Yes, but they took on that risk voluntarily.
I'd like to know how many actual hours they worked on that case during the 5 years. I doubt that it was the only thing they were doing the whole time. I bet they also had other clients concurrently.
I repeat: I don't object to them getting paid for their work. But not $5 billion.
The article I linked to originally is sadly lacking in details such as the names of the law firms involved. I did a bit more Googling:
https://www.thewellnews.com/law/attorneys-in-tesla-lawsuit-seek-6b-in-legal-fees/
They want most of their money paid in Tesla stock, which would work out to $288,888 per hour for the three law firms.
So there were three law firms involved. Essentially they are asking for $288,888 PER HOUR. That is not reasonable. One 1/100th of that rate would be nearly $3,000 per hour. The most expensive attorneys who charge an hourly rate charge about $2,500 per hour. Most charge less, of course. Maybe you could even argue for double or even triple that in the case of working on a contingency basis. But that's about as far as I would allow.
The three law firms are Bernstein Litowitz Berger & Grossmann and Friedman Oster & Tejtel, both based in New York, and Andrews & Springer of Wilmington, Delaware.
I did the arithmetic and the rate per hour suggests that they worked about 20,000 hours on the case. The first law firm on that list seems to have several dozens of attorneys. And that's just one of three firms involved. If a full-time job is 2,000 hours per year, that's about 10 lawyer-years over a five year case, or just two lawyers out of dozens or hundreds fully engaged on it on average during the period. For law firms of this size, that could only be a fraction of what they handled during the last five years.