Speedskater
Thinker
- Joined
- Mar 5, 2006
- Messages
- 188
I never could understand why a Curling Stone weighs 3 Stone.
I never could understand why a Curling Stone weighs 3 Stone.
Having extensive experience with rotary floor polishing machines, I can say with authority that a heavy rotating horizontal disk interacting with a flat smooth surface while translating across said surface will always drift toward a supervisor's feet.
I think that explains all the shouting while each throw is in motion. The players are trying to adjust the course of the stone by acting bossy.
That could be it. I've played with my daughters a few times and they always get a kick out of yelling at me to sweep harder as much as possible.Happy belated Curling Day in Canada. I celebrated by watching some of the Scotties with the young curlers in my household.
(for those who don't know, the "Scotties Tournament of Hearts" is the annual women's national curling championships in Canada, named after the long-time sponsor, which is a producer of paper products - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotties_Tournament_of_Hearts. The men's event, which starts next week is known as the Brier and is undergoing a re-branding following a shift in sponsorship from Tim Horton's to Montana's (both different sorts of restaurants). As with many Canadian sporting events, the early 80's brought about advertising laws that ended long-standing sponsorships with tobacco companies, and the beer sponsorships that largely followed are also becoming more rare these days).
And yet ESPN covers spelling bees, chess matches and even poker.
Curling is sort of interesting as a really long game of ice shuffleboard. What else do they have to do up there? Australian Rules Football went away too, I kind of miss those badass brutal matches at two in the morning.
On a related note I just heard this morning on CBC Radio that Canadian curling great Jennifer Jones announces retirement from team curling
But, of course, she'll "continue curling in mixed doubles with her husband Brent Laing".
Up where? Japan? USA? Italy? South Korea? Turkey? (All countries that have competed at recent world championships).
We get pretty good coverage here in Canada, which is nice for fans. Some decent on-line, free or inexpensive streaming of smaller events as well.
Fox Sports and ESPN/ABC still do minor sports.
Fox did a live pre-season Australian Rules Football game this morning.
But NBC has the rights to most Olympic type sports. They are only interested in:
a] sports that attract internet wagering advertisements.
b] main stream sports like swimming, track & field, gymnastics and figure skating.
c] sports that US competitors are doing well.
And when NBC does show a minor sport on its business channel or rerun channel it's often just a highlight show.