• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread Musk, SpaceX and future of Tesla

Status
Not open for further replies.
you give someone credit for this work by paying him for it - no additional praising required.

This is also weird. I don't think we should give him credit for his work because he's not well off enough. I think we should give him credit for his work because we should admit to the nature of the world. I don't say that sky is blue because the sky deserves it, I say it because it's true.
 
you give someone credit for this work by paying him for it - no additional praising required.

In contrast to that, Musk fires people willy-nilly, doesn't pay landlords, utilities or contractors or the severance payments he promised.

Before we should give Musk ANY credit for his work, he should give credit (and money) to the people who gave him his success.

I see it the other way around: If you're going to give Musk discredit for his failures, you should also give him credit for his successes.
 
Many people claim that those companies are scams. So, I don't think we all agree that he has done both things that deserve praise and things that deserve derision. Even your phrasing doesn't admit to that: "he owns several companies that make products people like". That's quite different from "He has also done laudable things that have added immense value to the world." If you don't agree with that sentence then it's weird to reply to it with "everyone acknowledges..."

well, it is quite different in that it sounds a lot less impressive, but isn't that what you're lauding him for? satellite telecommunications, space travel, electric vehicles, solar panels, social media, he didn't invent or found any of it and he's not the only one doing any of them. i drive a dodge, use tds fiber, and aren't going into space any time soon, and i don't laud any of them either.

he's beating his competitors out to varying degrees in each, great. he makes products people like, he's a good businessman, who give a ****. why isn't that good enough, why does it have to be more? why does he need my praise? to offset the negativity he gets? if the ceo of dodge or tds fiber went on twitter and spread jewish conspiracy theories would i have to talk about how much more affordable it is than cable before i **** on him?

that's kind of the point though. what his laudable achievements are is entirely running various successful businesses. he makes products people like. he's not charitable or kind or giving, in fact he's mostly self absorbed and petty. he lies a lot, and cheats people too. he publicly slanders people. he's arrogant and a jerk. he's a manipulator. he's dishonest.

but he makes products people like.
 
My point is that you're actually not agreeing with me. I think SpaceX is a major achievement not because it "makes products people like", but because it's revolutionized the launch industry. If you disagree with that, that's totally cool. I just hope you don't pretend that when I say that's a major achievement I'm saying the same thing that you are.

As I said, I agree about many of the negative things that you have to say about Musk (though not all of them). We seem to disagree about the importance of some of his achievements. I think that's totally reasonable, I just hope we can be clear about where that disagreement is.

You also seem to disagree with those who claim that SpaceX is a scam. I hope you're willing to both say where you disagree with me, and say where you disagree with them.
 
Musk isn't SpaceX. Musk isn't Tesla. Musk is X. That's who Musk is. You are the negative of a "hater" but the behavior is the same.
Right. So I behave the same as this?

Musk is an *******, therefore...

We think Tesla is an ideal target for our attacks.

Because:

> Several armies use Tesla’s Starlink satellite system in their wars. Also Israel in Gaza. Also Ukraine. Tesla’s Starlink infrastructure is an important military player and attacks on Tesla can be a sign everywhere: against any war!

> Tesla is a symbol of “green capitalism”. But it is anything but green: The lithium batteries come from toxic mines in Chile and devour other rare metals, which means misery and destruction for the mining areas. “Green capitalism” stands for colonialism and land theft!

> Tesla wants to further expand its Gigafactory in Grünheide near Berlin. We want to defend ourselves against this! We don’t want any more Teslas on the roads! The Gigafactory became known for its extreme exploitation conditions. In addition, the factory contaminates the groundwater and uses huge amounts of the already scarce resource for its products.

> Tesla is militarizing our streets. Their cars are equipped with high-resolution cameras. In “guard mode” they film everything and everyone. Make sure to make yourself unrecognizable during actions.

> Elon Musk is an *******!
For this reason:

Let the air out of the tires of big cars? Great.

Even better: set Teslas on fire everywhere!
A few grill lighters and spring can begin!
 
Last edited:
My point is that you're actually not agreeing with me. I think SpaceX is a major achievement not because it "makes products people like", but because it's revolutionized the launch industry. If you disagree with that, that's totally cool. I just hope you don't pretend that when I say that's a major achievement I'm saying the same thing that you are.

As I said, I agree about many of the negative things that you have to say about Musk (though not all of them). We seem to disagree about the importance of some of his achievements. I think that's totally reasonable, I just hope we can be clear about where that disagreement is.

You also seem to disagree with those who claim that SpaceX is a scam. I hope you're willing to both say where you disagree with me, and say where you disagree with them.

ok that’s totally fair. but, while i think his companies have been innovative and successful, i don’t feel that we need to acknowledge that with every criticism in order to be fair to him. or to use it as a deflection. particularly because i believe over time it’s apparent that his personal involvement in any innovation is likely to be overblown imo and i will admit that’s just my personal opinion on it. it’s why i’ll give him credit for ownership, i doubt he was too heavily involved in the rocketry beyond that capacity.

i don’t think it’s a scam and yeah people really shouldn’t be saying that, and i’m pretty sure i made a post to that effect in this thread. his crypto escapades were a scam so if you want to call him a scammer just stick to that imo
 
Roger hasn't been criticising people in this thread for being "haters"? :confused:

I thought his labeling of haters was about those people he responded to in this thread that he described as haters... Not people from the internet where you can find all and any kind of extremism.

One lives and learns.

Yeah, I thought it to be odd as well.
Dismissing posts made here, based on what can be found in other places of the internet.
 
Roger hasn't been criticising people in this thread for being "haters"? :confused:

I thought his labeling of haters was about those people he responded to in this thread that he described as haters... Not people from the internet where you can find all and any kind of extremism.

One lives and learns.

Meh, I just pointed out where the quote was from.
 
Roger hasn't been criticising people in this thread for being "haters"? :confused:

I thought his labeling of haters was about those people he responded to in this thread that he described as haters... Not people from the internet where you can find all and any kind of extremism.

One lives and learns.
Not sure how you got that impression. I absolutely am including all those other people on the internet, not just the ones in this thread. I'm also quite certain that the haters here didn't dream up all their talking points themselves - they got most of it from outside sources.

However in this case I was responding to someone saying I am 'the negative of a "hater" but the behavior is the same' without specifying only haters in this thread. Therefore it is perfectly legitimate for me to show an example of haters' behavior from outside of this thread. And in case anyone hasn't noticed, the haters in this thread are acting just the same as those in other places.

BTW I doubt that the group claiming responsibility for those Tesla fires are actually responsible for all (or even any) of them. Germany has suffered from this kind of behavior for years, well before Tesla arrived.

Berlin Registers Hundreds of Arson Attacks on Cars Every Year
May 28, 2022

In 2010, 215 vehicles were set on fire. By 2021 the number almost doubled to 426...

In Berlin there are groups of radical environmentalists who hate cars and want to ban them from the city center. But, would they set them on fire? Probably not. The investigators believe that left-wing extremists are responsible for only some of the arson attacks. Whenever squatters are thrown out of the building they are occupying illegally, the number of these incendiary attacks increases
I think it's more likely that these haters are too cowardly to commit arson themselves, but quite happy to goad others into doing it. And they call Musk an *******.
 
Last edited:
well musk is an *******. but, you're confusing talking points with opinions on things that happened
 
Yikes! Be careful out there...

Love
@tesla
and my
@cybertruck
but “catastrophe failure” with steering and brakes while on a road trip with wife and toddler…. Pretty pretty pretty not good. Oh and service center not open today.
@elonmusk

Link


To which some wag responded...

“I love my death trap that nearly killed me and my family”


Link


Now, this response is cult-thinking....

You have a first gen platform, expect issues. It’s better to shake it out in town for at least 3-5K miles before a roadtrip.

Link

Yeah, it is the consumer's fault for not expecting catastrophic failure with the first generation model.
 
Ridiculous:

Lawyers who successfully argued Musk pay package was illegal seek $5.6 billion in Tesla stock

Getting paid a fair price for their services, sure. Making off with unearned and undeserved billions would be highway robbery of the very people whose interests they were allegedly serving. What a shameful request.


The lawyers argue that they had to work without pay for five years, and if they lost, they would have got nothing. Apparently, law is a high-risk, high-profit business.

I wonder how many lawyers are involved. It is a fine wage for five years of work for two lawyers, but if there were 3000 lawyers, it would just be a normal wage for each!

When my brother-in-law had a divorce that went to court, he was surprised to find that his lawyer and his wife’s lawyers both were eager to raise the amount of disputed assets. It turned out that the lawyers were supposed to earn a percentage of the disputed values mentioned in court documents, even if that was three times higher than what actually there.

I wonder if the Tesla shareholder’s lawyers similarly can argue that they should have a certain percentage of the disputed assets.
 
Ridiculous:

Lawyers who successfully argued Musk pay package was illegal seek $5.6 billion in Tesla stock

Getting paid a fair price for their services, sure. Making off with unearned and undeserved billions would be highway robbery of the very people whose interests they were allegedly serving. What a shameful request.

Similar happens over here - you hear about some fantastic payment has been awarded and then learn out of £40 million the lawyers want £38 million! :( Of course lawyers need to be paid and they may have taken on some risk that if the case isn't successful they wouldn't get paid but it does seem excessive. Personally, I'd have it that there was a maximum cap of a third of any judgement
 
dumb question, but whose stock do they get?

Tesla's, probably. Whoever the actual counterparty in the suit is.

Most corporations hold some of their own stock, for various reasons. They might buy back stock to adjust their liquidity levels or other metrics of interest to investors, lenders, etc. They might buy stock regularly, so they can transfer it to employees as part of a compensation package. Etc.

Assuming Tesla is the counterparty in the suit, and is therefore liable for this claim, Tesla would have to give some of the stock it holds to these guys. If the company wasn't holding enough stock to cover the liability, they'd buy more stock (either publicly or privately) until they had enough.
 
If they get hold of all those shares, at least they will have a personal interest in not raising Musk’s salary beyond the reasonable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom