• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

WA Senator arrested for gun possession in HK.

Ranb

Penultimate Amazing
Joined
Jul 25, 2003
Messages
11,477
Location
WA USA
Washington state senator arrested in Hong Kong for carrying a gun through airport
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/24/asia/hong-kong-us-politician-charged-over-gun-intl-hnk/index.html
Washington state senator Jeff Wilson was arrested on Saturday at the Hong Kong International Airport and has been charged with possession of a firearm without a license, RTHK reported, an offense punishable by up to 14 years in prison and a fine of more than $12,000. He appeared in the Sha Tin Magistrates’ Court on Monday and was granted bail, the report added.

He “did not realize his pistol was in his briefcase when he passed through airport security in Portland, and baggage screeners failed to note it,” the statement added.

Wilson said in the statement that when the plane landed in Hong Kong, he “immediately went to customs officials and called their attention to the issue.”

Yeah, well that was dumb. How often does Hong Kong allow the "oops" defense for gun possession by tourists? As far as I know, it does not work at all for drugs.

Ranb
 
Washington state senator arrested in Hong Kong for carrying a gun through airport
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/24/asia/hong-kong-us-politician-charged-over-gun-intl-hnk/index.html


Yeah, well that was dumb. How often does Hong Kong allow the "oops" defense for gun possession by tourists? As far as I know, it does not work at all for drugs.

Ranb

It sucks that once again a gun got past the TSA screening at the airport. He probably had one of those skip the line passes which adds another level to the problem.

:mad:
 
Washington state senator arrested in Hong Kong for carrying a gun through airport
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/24/asia/hong-kong-us-politician-charged-over-gun-intl-hnk/index.html


Yeah, well that was dumb. How often does Hong Kong allow the "oops" defense for gun possession by tourists? As far as I know, it does not work at all for drugs.

Ranb
Well, since it seems he noticed the gun while on the flight, and declared it when he got to Customs, I'd suspect they'll be fairly lenient. It would have been a lot worse if he'd taken it through security at HK, wittingly or otherwise.

Doesn't look good for the checks at Portland, though. I wonder if he had to take his shoes off before boarding?
 
Well, since it seems he noticed the gun while on the flight, and declared it when he got to Customs, I'd suspect they'll be fairly lenient. It would have been a lot worse if he'd taken it through security at HK, wittingly or otherwise.

Doesn't look good for the checks at Portland, though. I wonder if he had to take his shoes off before boarding?

I bet the fact that he's a repug is going to be the biggest factor in any leniency decision.
 
What a pillock!

Hopefully he will be told off, have the gun confiscated, his visa cancelled and put back on the next plane to the USA and be debarred from HK for a few years.
 
Hopefully he will be told off, have the gun confiscated, his visa cancelled and put back on the next plane to the USA and be debarred from HK for a few years.


https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...hong-kong-for-gun-possession-and-granted-bail
Under Hong Kong law, it is illegal to carry a firearm without a license. Offenders face a fine of up to 100,000 Hong Kong dollars ($12,800) and can be sentenced to up to 14 years if convicted. However, typically the Magistrates' Courts grant a maximum two-year sentence for cases they handle, the judiciary's website said.

I doubt Biden will be making demands about setting Wilson free, but I think I would be in more trouble than he is now.
 
Hmm...

We had a visiting American Police Officer, who arrived at the airport with a handful of rounds in his carry-on.

When he told us about it, he said: "I was expecting to spend the night in jail."

Our customs guys said: "Be more careful next time." (But they had to confiscate the rounds).

:)
 
well certainly wouldn't want to infringe on the rights of responsible gun owners in any case.

do responsible gun owners forget where they put their guns?

-edit-

i remember when brittany griner had that vape in russia. bet this guy and everyone else on his side was pretty sympathetic to her at the time.
 
Last edited:
How can you forget where you put your gun?

Lol what an un-American question to ask. /s

A similar thing happened to a family friend. It was her husband who put a gun in a piece of her luggage and forgot (or maybe she borrowed his carry on, not 100% sure). She was let off with a stern warning after spending a few hours in the airport lockup. Of course this was in Texas, not a foreign country. (this part was not sarcasm, and I'm not making this up)
 
Last edited:
i understand that a gun is more of an identity at this point than a possession, and i get that gun owner is basically a protected class, but if you ever put a gun somewhere and then forgot about that gun, you shouldn't own a gun.
 
Lol what an un-American question to ask. /s

A similar thing happened to a family friend. It was her husband who put a gun in a piece of her luggage and forgot (or maybe she borrowed his carry on, not 100% sure). She was let off with a stern warning after spending a few hours in the airport lockup. Of course this was in Texas, not a foreign country. (this part was not sarcasm, and I'm not making this up)

Could have been worse if she was packing sex toys in Texas prior to 2008. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_obscenity_statute
 
I feel a certain sympathy as I once got pulled by security at Gatwick because I'd forgotten I had a small knife in my wallet. It was a smallish folding knife I used to open parcels if I received them at work only the size of a credit card when stowed. The police were called but were very reasonable & the matter was quickly sorted out, but it was a frightening experience.
 
TSA found a folding knife I left in my backpack. They directed me to a kiosk to mail it home. They did not seem at all interested in making a fuss about it.
 
I think I was a bit unlucky with the security guy I got, they'd asked if there was a knife in my bag, which I knew there wasn't as it was brand new, they couldn't find anything and it was only when they let me see the X-ray I that I realised it was in my wallet, at which point I immediately explained & directed them to it but the security guy told the police I'd denied I had it and that it was a disguised knife (which is illegal in the UK). The police were very good, calmed the situation down, treated my wife & I politely and basically just background checked me and took the knife for disposal. It was just a cheap Sinclair Card Sharp which tbh is slightly an edge (no pun intended) case with our laws on what constitutes a legal folding knife or an illegal fixed blade when it comes to everyday carry for no specific reason.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom