Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
March was after Russia invaded and occupied Crimea. The "vote" counts for nothing.
March was after Russia invaded and occupied Crimea. The "vote" counts for nothing.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Crimean_status_referendum#Post-referendum_polls)Post-referendum polls
The results of the survey by the US government Broadcasting Board of Governors, conducted April 21–29, 2014, showed that 83% of Crimeans felt that the results of the March 16 referendum on Crimea's status likely reflected the views of most people there.
If Russia occupies the municipality where I live, near Brussels (Belgium), and if a polling organization calls me on the phone to ask what I think about it, I will certainly not hesitate to say what I think.Doesn't matter. Russian forces had already invaded. We don't know what the respondents really thought because there were Russian occupiers on the ground. That negates everything.
If Russia occupies the municipality where I live, near Brussels (Belgium), and if a polling organization calls me on the phone to ask what I think about it, I will certainly not hesitate to say what I think.
I wonder if you would tell them you assume Belgium must have done something to deserve it.If Russia occupies the municipality where I live, near Brussels (Belgium), and if a polling organization calls me on the phone to ask what I think about it, I will certainly not hesitate to say what I think.
Yes, that's right, I believe Belgium has done (and is still doing) some serious mistakes with respect to Russia. However, I do not think Belgium's errors so far are enough to justify an invasion and an occupation of the country (assuming it would be militarily feasible, which seems rather unlikely for this NATO country).I wonder if you would tell them you assume Belgium must have done something to deserve it.
Yes, that's right, I believe Belgium has done (and is still doing) some serious mistakes with respect to Russia. However, I do not think Belgium's errors so far are enough to justify an invasion and an occupation of the country (assuming it would be militarily feasible, which seems rather unlikely for this NATO country).
Ukraine can have excellent relations with European Union countries (Germany, France, Italy, and many others) without necessarily being a member of an organization which seems to be obsessed with "sanctioning" Russia.
I don't think Russia would object to that.
Similarly, there is nothing wrong about Ukraine having good relations with the U.S., as long as these relations are not used to plot against Russia.
Yes, that's right, I believe Belgium has done (and is still doing) some serious mistakes with respect to Russia. However, I do not think Belgium's errors so far are enough to justify an invasion and an occupation of the country (assuming it would be militarily feasible, which seems rather unlikely for this NATO country).
https://www.newsweek.com/crimean-ci...fter-drone-attack-black-sea-hq-russia-1729425
And speaking of propaganda, the Ukrainians did an excellent job of it last week when they forced the Russian occupiers of their territory to cancel Navy Day celebrations in Crimea. I'm assuming the attack came from forces loyal to Ukraine in the area since Sevastopol is probably out of range for drones launched from unoccupied territory. An active insurgency, assassinating Russian occupation forces and destroying military targets is both militarily and politically a smart move.
The only mistake Belgium and the rest of NATO (the US included) was not providing more lethal aid to Ukraine after the invasion of Crimea and the Donbas. We're making up for it now. When Ukraine is done with Russia, it will be a paper tiger for decades. Losing the Cold War will be nothing compared to the way Russia is about to be crushed.
Indeed. Either the drones came from Free Ukraine, which says the Russian air defences are pretty poor over the most valuable military in an area they've occupied for 8 years. Or there are partisan attacks even in this area.
Both say that no part of occupied Ukraine is safe for the occupiers - and they need to keep forces there to keep protect vital targets
That's it. And if Russia decrees the errors sufficient, we must respect the monster's judgement. So when Belgium is invaded Michel will fearlessly explain to pollsters they must have deserved it.So, if a country makes enough "errors", it's okay for Russia to invade them? As punishment for the "errors"?
The Guardian (a well known British newspaper) wrote, on 9 May 2022:
(https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-high-ratings-but-russians-are-terrified-too).
...the professional journalists of the Guardian make sure they use reliable and trusted sources, it's part of their job.
Today, on Russia’s Victory Day, reimagined by Vladimir Putin as a showcase for his regime, the Guardian and other European outlets are publishing articles by the newspaper Novaya Gazeta, which has suspended publication in Russia because of censorship over the Ukraine war
Indeed - Azerbaijan has captured some strategic heights that had been occupied by Russian troops. Also the disproportionate losses amongst the ethnic minorities and the consequent return of bitter military veterans from those will fuel the separatist movements in many regions. Which I guess Michel H will support as they are not ethnic-Russians.
Putin might be able to complete the breakup of the Russian Empire that was started with the collapse of the USSR.
Russian state media advocated for the introduction of labor camps, repression, and the shooting of Ukrainian partisans and civilians who refuse to cooperate with Russian-appointed officials in occupied Ukrainian territories.