Highlight by highlight:
1. How did you determine which idea is no good for acquiring power, and at what margin of error? How do you determine which idea might be no good for acquiring power in the future?
We look at what ideas have succeeded, and we build up theories about that. The modern left is built on exactly this kind of analysis.
2. Are you talking about the past, the present, or the future, or some combination?
We study the past, and make hypotheses about the future.
Come on. Hyperbole, not straw man. I am interested in the dominant ideas that actually have power and where they have come from. You want to talk about whether other ideas might not be possible, or be out there having little influence. You've got something like Darwinian selection going on on these ideas. Ideas about how to run a society have to be practical, they have to move people, they have to be politically useful to people in gaining power. The ideas about how society should be that don't come to dominate are, in some sense, failed ideas. Maybe they can be the inspiration for something new, but in terms of talking about where we are and where the current ideas are taking us, they are mainly useful as examples of failure.
4. When did the concept of self-determination begin?
Well, you have discussions of its shortcomings in Aristotle and Plato, so it's an old idea. It takes a radical shift though when the conception of liberty changes from involving mastery over oneself to being about lack of external constraint.
5. How does basing feminism on self-determination necessarily lead to communism?
I didn't mean to say it leads to communism. I might argue that, but I would need to think about it a lot harder. I meant that it's the same creation of a terrific way of organising society that is only let down by humans not being the appropriate members of the society.
1. You are implying that self-determination, at least for women, is incompatible with human nature. How do you know that, especially for the future?
Self determination is a hugely problematic idea, certainly in the modern mass society. Pretty much every anti-liberal/counter enlightenment thinker has written about this for the past few hundred years. I'm struggling to know where to begin to unpack it. Have you read any Hoppe?
2. At least we now know that your approach here is one of how to seize power.
I am certainly not engaged in seizing anything. It's not my approach. Any idea not capable of seizing power, if it is about how to organize a society, seems kind of useless. The ideas that drove the French Revolution, and Russian Revolutions were terrible for running a society and immediately went horribly wrong, but they were terrific for seizing power.
3. Highlight addendum: You haven't even defined what you mean by "these ideas."
I meant the sort of feminist ideas like "the patriarchy" and "standpoint theory", or deconstruction etc... that came out of early 20th century, or late 19th century Marxism.
Interlude: Can I put you down as being against self-determination, at least for women? It seems like you're headed there, but I don't want to put words in your mouth.
This is one of the basic problems. The anti-liberal view is that these things don't really work as organising principles for a society. It's like being against building the structures in Escher pictures. The issue is that you can't build them. Different constraints apply to men and women. That isn't about one of them having self-determination and one not. Basing your society on self-determination is like basing your economy on the absence of scarcity. Are they actually good, practical, sustainable ideas, or are we building cloud castles?
I think by "ideas" you mean "self-determination." Correct me if I'm wrong. To answer your question, perhaps the first step is to establish what an ideal might be - like, self-determination - and then see how close we can get to that ideal at what cost.
I'm mainly talking about the ideas in trans-activism, and gender-critical feminism that came out of earlier Marxist forms going back to the 19th century. Self determination is typically the kind of thing that happens when the utopia is reached and the nature of Man is transformed rather than a fundamental good, as in the De Beauvoir quote.
If you're talking about self-determination, then isn't that long history at least partially contradictory to the idea that they are incompatible with human nature, as you said above?
I wasn't, but no it isn't. What you see is it appearing in strictly limited ways with lots of discussion about it's limitations and problems. The Founding Fathers of the US were aware of all this, and wrote about it. I'm really not interested in self determination though. As far as I'm concerned it is just a fig leaf. It may well be your average person in the street's view of what these things are delivering, but I don't think it is really driving anything.
Highlight: genetic fallacy.
No it isn't.
Also, I'm not restricting you to the next meter ahead.
You are criticising me for talking about the long term implications of these ideas.