• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

is Ray Nagin insane?

LibraryLady

Emeritus
Joined
Sep 4, 2004
Messages
14,331
Location
Maryland
Read these comments by Ray Nagin

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," Nagin said as he and other city leaders marked Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

What's he been doing? Talking to Pat Robertson? :eye-poppi
 
I think that Nagrin is trying desperately to extend his fifteen minutes of fame. Either that or he has gone certifiably insane. Take a look at his statements:

A. God is angry with America (I guess we're lucky he hasn't been talking to Fred Phelps) BECAUSE:
1) Black violence
2) Black political infighting
3) the war in Iraq
4) Blacks aren't, "taking care of themselves"

B. He's going to make New Orleans a "chocolate city" again (I can imagine the reactions had Bush, or Pat Robertson or even the Pope said this)

C. God wants New Orleans to be majority-Black city

D. He has imaginary conversations with MLK

E. He tears down Black leaders by suggesting that they engage in, "tearing each other down to the delight of many,"

F. He made the most racist comment ever with, "We as a people need to fix ourselves first," as though crime, drugs, poverty and urban blight are only Black issues that only African-Americans are responsible for.

To top it all off, his speech was taken to heart during a parade celebrating Martin Luther King day when three people were wounded during a daylight shooting during the festivities.

It seems to me as though Nagrin is passing the buck as far as fighting crime in his city goes (it's been the murder capital of the U.S. for several years running). I think he realizes there was a major problem with crime before the flood as well as problems with police corruption that are still unresolved and he's shifting the blame to his own people, the citizens of New Orleans.
 
I was struck by the similarity of him and that silly governor who proclaimed a miracle at that mine disaster last week.

Its not so much that they say silly things, but it's that it extends to their ability to make rational decisions. I suppose that they pretty much reflect the attitudes of the majority of people they are representing though.
 
Read these comments by Ray Nagin



What's he been doing? Talking to Pat Robertson? :eye-poppi

He's not insane. He's a racist, plain and simple, enjoying the exemption given blacks by the liberal side of the media. How do I know this? Simple... CNN seems to accept this "explanation" at face value without further comment:

"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about," he said.

Of course, CNN is sure to follow this laughable backpedal with the obligatory "racism" of the federal response... not directly, of course, but who else could they mean when they choose to report:

Black residents and political leaders have complained about the slow pace of recovery in mostly black areas compared to mostly white areas such as Uptown and the French Quarter, where services have been restored and life has returned to a semblance of normal.

Nice dig, MSM. :rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/17/nagin.city/index.html
 
Whenever anyone professes to know the motives, goals, desires, peeves or plans of the Almighty, my first reaction is to say: "What is the source of your information? Can I verify these things for myself?"

Whenever anyone, while wearing his "government hat," professes to know such things, I also add, "Is speaking on behalf of the Almighty an aspect of your official business?"

Is Nagin insane? No. Foolish? Yes.
 
I think that Nagrin is trying desperately to extend his fifteen minutes of fame. Either that or he has gone certifiably insane.


I don't see any reason for the "either/or" construction. I would argue that "both" seems appropriate at this point.

Sheesh!
 
I don't see any reason for the "either/or" construction. I would argue that "both" seems appropriate at this point.

Sheesh!

Well, I was trying to insinuate that his interest is purely political, but now that you mention it, it's not like we've never voted for an insane politician before . . . ;)
 
What would it take to make Nagen a great Mayor?:p

New Orleans becomes a centroid of racial harmony in the Deep South and in so doing creates pressure on Alabama, Mississippi and the like he will have succeeded in cutting the Deep South Gordian Knot and that would, in the far future, make a place for him in the Pantheon of greats.

double :p
 
Whenever anyone professes to know the motives, goals, desires, peeves or plans of the Almighty, my first reaction is to say: "What is the source of your information? Can I verify these things for myself?"

Whenever anyone, while wearing his "government hat," professes to know such things, I also add, "Is speaking on behalf of the Almighty an aspect of your official business?"

Is Nagin insane? No. Foolish? Yes.

Susan B. Anthony once said something to the effect of, "I question those who claim to know the desires of God. They so often seem to coincide with their own."
 
No, not crazy really. He is a politician in New Orleans. Reality here is, well, different from that experienced elsewhere. Many folks here consider him to be influential on a national level.

Really.
 
If I'm not mistaken, this is the first political office Nagin has held (I think I heard that somewhere)

He was probably already in over his head simply as Mayor of a major city.

Now that he's in the national spotlight he's probably trying to rise to the occasion but just doesn't have the right stuff.

I am really getting creeped out, however, at how many people actually believe some supernatural being is punishing us. I know with some it's only rhetoric but there are too many in power who seem alarmingly sincere.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom