You used MILES in ROTC Summer Camp? I gotta ask…..it was not at Bragg was it?
Training can significantly reduce the incidents of tunnel vision you are describing. The National Training Centers do an excellent job of replicating the stress of combat. Units that are able to do a rotation soon before deploying and remain largely intact through the deployment fare measurably better in combat than units that train themselves before deploying.
Police forces do not train to any meaningful level of competency for the tasks they should be good at.
Edit: that sentence was meant to be highlighted
I think some do. As I mentioned before I spent 7 years at a senior level with the 20,000 Victoria Police. I spent some time at the Academy and witnessed the mock ups where not only academy staff (most sworn officers) but regular police participated in elaborate scenarios.
Also where major changes were made to operating procedures, all police were retrained. An example was Operation Beacon, where the police in the 1990s were using firearms much too often. This operation worked.
https://blogs.deakin.edu.au/criminology/tag/operation-beacon/
Last edited: