ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
- Joined
- Jul 11, 2006
- Messages
- 54,796
As someone who was in the war-torn province of Afghanistan in the not too quiet year of 2006 I can that had we acted like American copsagainst sworn actual enemies of the US who were, without question, trying to kill us we would have been court martialed for human rights violations.
Yet torturing innocent people to death was practiced at the time and had no legal consequence. So how real is the military prohibition against this vs what the military tells themselves. They certainly had no trouble finding people to aide in torturing detainees and never charged any of them(accept those idiots in Abu Graib who let pictures of the practice get out).
I mean there was not exactly a lot of criminal fall out from the My Lai massacre. Only one person got convicted and only served 3 years in prison.
So I wonder how much of this is just conforting lies the military tells itself that they wouldn't do X. But when we find out about horrible human rights violations we regularly see the military doing nothing about it.