alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
If only the Uvalde police had been so diligent...
According to the NPR article referenced above, he was shot while he attempted to flee the vehicle on foot. If the gun was found in the car, then he was unarmed at the time of the shooting (even if he had access to the firearm before.)I noticed the victim is being described as unarmed in the news headline, but that an "unloaded" gun was later found in his vehicle and that police report being fired on first.
Any or all of that may be false, of course, but I do find it interesting how he's continually described as "unarmed" in the headlines. Is a gun that's fired all its bullets "unloaded" or "empty"? I would say there's a distinction to be made here if indeed it had been fired.
Let’s get serious, though. Does it really matter whether someone was shot 15 times or 60 times?
You find a person's death amusing?If lethal force was justified, which it sure seems like it was, I couldn't care less. It kinda makes me laugh thinking about it, like the death of Santino in The Godfather.
You find a person's death amusing?
Under the conditions of a known shooter, wearing a ski mask in summer, running away? I approve of cops protecting the public by shooting him.
NOT 60 times.
I figure some departments have the policy "if everybody shoots him, there are bound to be multiple possibly lethal wounds. Which ever officer killed him will be unknown." Less personal remorse, less likely to get singled out for retribution. Because such a policy is the only reason I can see for 60 hits. and how many misses? Do we have a total number of shots fired?
Personally I stopped chuckling at Darwin Awards years ago when I realised how macabre and disturbing it was, but you do you.Sometimes. This guy sounds no different than any other Darwin Award winner that we might chuckle at.
The traffic cam supposedly showed a flash while the car was in motion. It's not hard to release a magazine with one hand and have it fall out. And if you fired then dumped the clip without cocking the gun, that would have left the chamber empty.Lots here that does not seem to make sense with just the info we have. Waiting on details to clear this up.
1.) Cops fired 90 bullets and hit 60 times. From what has been collected from various sources about police marksmanship, it is unlikely they would hit with 60% of their rounds. They just are not that good.
2.) His gun was found unloaded. But there was a shell casing in the car. So in the middle of a chase he pulled out the magazine and cleared the weapon? Really?
The traffic cam supposedly showed a flash while the car was in motion. It's not hard to release a magazine with one hand and have it fall out. And if you fired then dumped the clip without cocking the gun, that would have left the chamber empty.
All of that happened or could have happened before he stopped the vehicle.
.... And if you fired then dumped the clip without cocking the gun, that would have left the chamber empty.
All of that happened or could have happened before he stopped the vehicle.
No, semi-autos, those with magazines, self-cock when they automatically reload. Yes, you can drop the mag one handed, but clearing a jam/recocking takes two hands. Not easy during a car chase. I suspect the gun jammed after one shot, or he would have fired more.
Most criminals have little to no firearms training.
No, semi-autos, those with magazines, self-cock when they automatically reload. Yes, you can drop the mag one handed, but clearing a jam/recocking takes two hands. Not easy during a car chase. I suspect the gun jammed after one shot, or he would have fired more.
Most criminals have little to no firearms training.
Something that occurred to me is that if a guy has literally no idea how to manually clear a round, he might drop the mag and fire the chambered round to unload it. In which case, he might not have been shooting at the cops, but just being genuinely stupid.
I know that clearing the chamber is not exactly brain surgery, but if a criminal's experience is little more than point and pull, he might not have the mechanical sense to do anything but fire to unload the chambered round.
Speculating on his actions does not lead to any sort of logical conclusions that I can see so far. Shooting the weapon but then unloading it does not make much sense. He gains nothing by doing that even if he wants to surrender. It costs time but that is about it.
Releasing the magazine by mistake might be an issue but not all that likely outside of it being the least bad explanation I can come up with. That still only makes sense if he lost track of where the magazine went after release.
First shot jam is possible but again seems not all that likely. Unjamming would be difficult while driving but not impossible.
Depending on the gun, it might even be possible to re-cock with the gun braced by the knees or butt and seat but this is obviously more than a little dangerous to the shooter and even then he would have to think about it.
At this point I would not put any bets for or against and any explanation including that he actually fired on the police.
Good point. He could have released the magazine first.
Would that be a reason why a gun might jam?I often wonder if they even know about cleaning and other basic maintanence.
Would that be a reason why a gun might jam?