How much "gatekeeping" should there be?
Oh...and one more thing. I mentioned ST's position in a previous post. I'm not trying to single out ST. It's an honest position, honestly stated. I'm encouraging others to do the same. In addition to arguing about whether or not this anecdote or that case demonstrates something, what would you like policy to be? How much "gatekeeping" should there be?
And, background to the above, it sure would make things easier if there was a way to determine that someone is "really trans".
If things were working the way we would like them to, I would agree with you.
The problem is that schools are actively teaching gender ideology, indoctrinating children to believe that they can choose what sex they want to be, telling them that it's safe and normal for children to switch sexes, and creating confusion among them. Keeping it secret from parents reinforces that distrust of parents across the board and entrenches this ideology.
I must agree with Darat on this one, at least partially. (Don't be concerned. I'll get to the disagreement soon enough.)
He's right, though. The examples presented show that in the UK, there are at least some standards, and there is at least some enforcement of the standards.
The question is what happens in a "regular" case. Is the screening adequate? I think the answer is that there is a lot of study of this issue and a lot of places have concluded that people are way too quick to decide that someone is really trans and to begin life altering medical treatment.
I - and almost all clinicians and lawmakers - disagree with your rather loaded evaluation.
The whole point of teaching school-age children about this sort of stuff (starting at an age that's deemed appropriate & proportionate by the experts) is 1) to (try to) ensure that the teens of today take an inclusive, kind & accepting view of everyone's gender identity (and sexuality as well); and 2) to (try to) assure any pupils who might be struggling with gender dysphoria, especially if they're keeping it a secret, that it's OK to feel that way and that professional assistance is available. And the name of the game is most certainly not to "indoctrinate children to believe that they can choose what sex they want to be" (though your words here are interesting and telling, in and of themselves...)
I think that the only people who are trying to make your argument - along the lines of "teaching this stuff in school either confuses the pupils or somehow incites them to question their own gender identity" - are espousing yet another Reefer-Madness-style Domesday scenario. And as I said, the actual experts in this field disagree. I remember similar howls of protest when schoolchildren first started getting taught about sexuality. Hmmmm, I wonder if the mini-apocalypse ("you'll indoctrinate our fine upstanding straight children into turning gay!!") came true then as well.........?
It's probably worth asking why trans care in the NHS is in such shortage that so many patients are relying on such sketchy online clinicians.
How can you separate these two aspects? They "help and support kids" into irreversible body-altering medications and surgery. They are not interested in helping children talk through their issues and perhaps decide that transitioning is not for them, they are only interested in pushing every child they come in contact with into social transition, puberty blockers, breast binding, genital tucking, wrong-sex hormones and mutilating surgery.
That's the help and support they offer. That's what you're supporting?
I must agree with Darat on this one, at least partially. (Don't be concerned. I'll get to the disagreement soon enough.)
He's right, though. The examples presented show that in the UK, there are at least some standards, and there is at least some enforcement of the standards.
The question is what happens in a "regular" case. Is the screening adequate? I think the answer is that there is a lot of study of this issue and a lot of places have concluded that people are way too quick to decide that someone is really trans and to begin life altering medical treatment.
In the US, there is effectively no impediment to medical transition once someone reaches their 18th birthday, and trans rights activists want it that way....snip...
I'd really like to know this too. I believe Boudicca basically wanted none. Most trans "advocates" won't go that far, at least publicly, but they often refuse to say what they do want.
And, background to the above, it sure would make things easier if there was a way to determine that someone is "really trans".
Don't you want it that way as well? The only way I can see not having it that way in anything like a country with the usual human rights is to declare all adult trans people incompetent of making decisions for themselves. And that really would worry me, I know people, rather I knew they are now dead, who that happened to because the majority of folks considered them mentally ill.
Whilst I think there should be regulations, ethics and controls for all medical practitioners and their treatments I can't think of any way of removing self-determination for adults who consider themselves trans that doesn't make a mockery of the idea of self-determination.
...snip.... I'm ok with the fact that this is a limit on self determination, just as I'm ok with the fact that we restrict voluntary leg amputation, or voluntary life termination. I think there are some times when it's ok to make patients jump through some hoops.
In the US, there is effectively no impediment to medical transition once someone reaches their 18th birthday, and trans rights activists want it that way.
Don't you want it that way as well?
All good points, but the short answer to your first question is "no".
You seem to have missed my second paragraph:
Whilst I think there should be regulations, ethics and controls for all medical practitioners and their treatments I can't think of any way of removing self-determination for adults who consider themselves trans that doesn't make a mockery of the idea of self-determination.
All you are saying is that there "should be regulations, ethics and controls for all medical partitioners" - which is what I said....
Apart from the starting of "puberty blockers" in children (which albeit is meant to be an exception in the guidelines but I don't think we have the research in place to make such a gross intervention in a child's maturity) I do think NHS England has a good roadmap. See:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/treatment/
(Obviously, that is the ideal and given the years of damaging cuts to our NHSs I bet hardly anyone can access the full range of treatment but that's a different point.)
In early 2021, Anderson logged into a Zoom meeting with a team of experts at UC San Francisco to meet a new patient and his family.
He was 13, and about two months earlier he had started identifying as male. According to his parents, it wasn’t until puberty that he had shown any sign of distress over gender.
A pediatrician had already put him on testosterone, even though he had not met with a psychologist.
“Why is this kid on testosterone so precipitously?” Anderson asked her colleagues.
“Being trans or gender diverse is not a mental illness, and compulsory psychotherapy is not the standard of care in the gender-affirming medical model,” said Dr. AJ Eckert, medical director of the Gender and Life-Affirming Medicine Program at the Anchor Health Initiative in Stamford, Conn., and the state’s first out nonbinary trans doctor.
“Forcing transgender and gender diverse youth through extensive assessments while their cis peers are affirmed in their identity without question conveys to [them] that they are not ‘normal,’ ” they said.