Meadmaker
Unregistered
- Joined
- Apr 27, 2004
- Messages
- 29,033
Well, I guess I have to agree with you. Changing the laws in some places sure did have the effect of changing the laws. Much to consider...
In the grand scheme of things, I think the overall issue is whether people who support trans rights understand exactly what they are supporting. When I google articles, the news reports often include a "what is transgender" section, suggesting that there are a lot of people who still don't understand the terms. A common point of confusion is that a lot of people think that "transgender" implies some sort of medical treatment.
I like the example that I've used about the Pennsylvania lawsuit precisely because there is nothing sensationalized about it. It's a simple situation, but I think there would be a lot of people who would be surprised that it's considered perfectly normal today. There's nothing extreme about it. It's what mainstream trans rights supporters would want to see. They want the trans girl to be seen as just another girl, and if there's a penis and testicles obviously causing bulges in those panties, that's perfectly ok. And if the trans girl is on the swim team and needs to change into a bathing suit, it doesn't matter that her male genitalia are exposed to full view in the girls' locker room. That, in the new scheme of things, is normal and acceptable.
However, I think there are a lot of people in America who don't understand that. (And, I'm focusing on America just because it's the only place I'm familiar with. I'm sure there are similar things happening elsewhere in the world.)
As they come to understand that, how will they react? In the short run, we will of course see protests, but will the protests succeed, and will they hold up in the long run?
I think Darat's post from a few days ago is the relevant factor. How do young people view it? Do they not mind? They're the ones that are most affected, for a variety of reasons. Do they object, or do they think the objections are hopelessly old fashioned? There's surprisingly little discussion of that in the press.
Last edited: