• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Go woke, go broke

Well talk is cheap. The ratio of people who loudly scream they are never buying/listening to/watching this or that again because how dare they say that versus the people who actually do ain't never been close to 1:1 so...

And so I don't get accused of playing for just one side there would be like 3 liberals left in America if all the people who were going to move to Canada if Bush won actually did so.
 
I wonder how much of their sales is to people who buy their products because of their reputation for sturdy construction that can survive the long term abuse of many manual jobs, and how many of them buy it because they LARP as blue collar workers. I could definitely see the latter souring on the brand.

ETA: Workwear as a style choice is an odd phenomena.

It’s funny, about half the LARPers are young folks. They are pretty popular on the gram.
 
Well talk is cheap. The ratio of people who loudly scream they are never buying/listening to/watching this or that again because how dare they say that versus the people who actually do ain't never been close to 1:1 so...

And so I don't get accused of playing for just one side there would be like 3 liberals left in America if all the people who were going to move to Canada if Bush won actually did so.

I’m still paying Spotify.

So you have a good point.
 
The company I work for does commercial\enterprise electrical work and automation. It's also EXTREMELY right-wing. So right-wing I would never disclose my political leanings to anyone in my office because I'd get fired pretty quick, but when this Carhartt made the announcement every single person here said they wouldn't buy their product again. That lasted until Amazon had the sale on Carhartt stuff and I bought my coat. I told the other guys and a few ordered smaller things. They weren't going to by the expensive stuff though! That's where they drew the line!

I think it boils down to Carhartt knowing it wouldn't blow them up too much, and if it did it would be short lived. They make the best clothes for construction and NoDak winters don't **** around. We've had a feels like of -15 to -30 for awhile now. It's not surprising how fast they put their standards aside in order to not freeze their baggetts off.
 
Last edited:
Honestly it's just picking your battles. A Senator being for/against something that means a lot to you is one thing, the CEO of the chicken place who has an independently owned franchise close to where you work being for/against something that means a lot to you is another.
 
I note Carhartt is a union shop, and considers that to be an asset, and I think that makes a difference. More working class people are union supporters, I suspect, than the right wingers would like to acknowledge, and unless that's changed in recent years, I suspect that's especially true of garment workers. In addition, of course, it distributes responsibility.

Not to belittle Carhartt for doing the right thing, but it seems they might have run into staffing shortages if they had not.
 
I note Carhartt is a union shop, and considers that to be an asset, and I think that makes a difference. More working class people are union supporters, I suspect, than the right wingers would like to acknowledge, and unless that's changed in recent years, I suspect that's especially true of garment workers. In addition, of course, it distributes responsibility.

Not to belittle Carhartt for doing the right thing, but it seems they might have run into staffing shortages if they had not.

I don’t think that belittles them at all, that was their stated goal: keep workers safe and healthy so they can keep working.

Remember back when there weren’t a lot of vaccines and the police and firefighters were arguing they should get the shot before fast food workers? Man those were the days.
 
I don’t think that belittles them at all, that was their stated goal: keep workers safe and healthy so they can keep working.

Remember back when there weren’t a lot of vaccines and the police and firefighters were arguing they should get the shot before fast food workers? Man those were the days.
I agree, and perhaps I put it poorly but I think some people are still tied to the "exploit the workers, loot and run" model of business, and would put it down as woke weakness, and others to the "management is always wrong" school and would assume sinister motives. Many people seem to find the idea of common ground suspicious.
 
Well talk is cheap. The ratio of people who loudly scream they are never buying/listening to/watching this or that again because how dare they say that versus the people who actually do ain't never been close to 1:1 so...

And so I don't get accused of playing for just one side there would be like 3 liberals left in America if all the people who were going to move to Canada if Bush won actually did so.

Both my cousin and I gave up using Gillette blades after that ad. And within a year we were both back using them because they last longer and shave better. No matter how much I hate the ad.
 
Ah John Ringo. A right-wing loon if ever that was one. As one person put it:
...he vomits the contents of his Id, iPod, and the Fox News highlights into a word processor and Baen prints it.


I've read the entire Posleen War/Legacy of the Aldenata series. You can definitely see him becoming more extreme in his writing over the ten year period they were written. He's often cited as a writer who fell victim to the "Brain Eater", as the phenomenon is called in some circles.
 
Both my cousin and I gave up using Gillette blades after that ad. And within a year we were both back using them because they last longer and shave better. No matter how much I hate the ad.

Doesn't Schick, the largest competitor, make essentially identical products? I know a lot of generics are pretty terrible quality, but it's hard to imagine that Gillette is the only vendor of good quality disposable razors.
 
Doesn't Schick, the largest competitor, make essentially identical products? I know a lot of generics are pretty terrible quality, but it's hard to imagine that Gillette is the only vendor of good quality disposable razors.

I've tried most disposables, and I agree. Gillette products are noticeably better. Even when I was brand-predisposed to Bic (they make surfboards that are cheap, tough, and surprisingly fun to ride).
 
I've read the entire Posleen War/Legacy of the Aldenata series. You can definitely see him becoming more extreme in his writing over the ten year period they were written. He's often cited as a writer who fell victim to the "Brain Eater", as the phenomenon is called in some circles.
True. And a lack of decent editing.
 
I've tried most disposables, and I agree. Gillette products are noticeably better. Even when I was brand-predisposed to Bic (they make surfboards that are cheap, tough, and surprisingly fun to ride).

Damn. Bow down to your SJW overlords then :D
 
Again people go outside (as I put it) or touch grass (as SuburbanTurkey puts it) understand you have to pick your battles.

Okay so real world example. I never give a cent to the Salvation Army. I never give a cent to the Salvation Army because of their anti-homosexual policies and practices. BUT it's also because if want to give money to the poor I have... like countless other functionally equal options. The Salvation Army does not have a monopoly on broad generic assistance to the poor. I've got options. Goodwill exists.
 
The thing about real boycotts, like the ones of the Civil Rights Era, is that they aren't just a bunch of folks deciding "we don't like their company and won't buy their stuff". They are one part of sustained campaigns and happen after other options were tried out. Also, the people boycotting will be very visible about just what hardships they will endure to not use said product or service.

People generally slide back into their old habits pretty easily. Even when a sponsor pulls ads from one FOX News show, like Little Swanson's White Power Hour, they are still buying ad space on the preceding and following shows. They do this because they know the audience watching one show is most likely watching FOX News all day and night. That's why things like Must See TV and TGIF were so important to their respective networks.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom