• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Corona Virus Conspiracy Theories Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need to have my mind changed. I live in Florida, I'm exposed to Sars-CoV-2 on a routine basis, I have immunity. If and when that wanes, I know how to treat it. Not only am I stronger, fitter, and healthier than you, I behave as if the virus doesn't exist, and I don't live in fear. Why would I want to buy what you are selling?
You don't know how strong, fit and healthy I am.
 
I don't need to have my mind changed. I live in Florida, I'm exposed to Sars-CoV-2 on a routine basis, I have immunity. If and when that wanes, I know how to treat it. Not only am I stronger, fitter, and healthier than you, I behave as if the virus doesn't exist, and I don't live in fear. Why would I want to buy what you are selling?

I behave as if the virus does exist and I have a moral obligation to protect the people around me, and I do not live in fear.
 
I don't need to have my mind changed. I live in Florida, I'm exposed to Sars-CoV-2 on a routine basis, I have immunity. If and when that wanes, I know how to treat it. Not only am I stronger, fitter, and healthier than you, I behave as if the virus doesn't exist, and I don't live in fear. Why would I want to buy what you are selling?

Florida? That explains a lot - including your ignorant hubris. No one's trying to sell you anything here (other than how to think critically), they are just pointing out the fallacies in what YOU are trying to sell.
 
I find it amusing you people don't believe 75 studies with tens of thousands of patients and over 700 authors.

There have been four published meta-reviews of ivermectin. Two found no effect. Two found significant benefit. No study found a negative impact.

Two with no statistical significance.
10 RCTs (n=1173) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34181716/
23 RCTs (n=3349) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC8420640/

Two with positive effect.
15 RCTs (n=2438) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC8248252/
18 RCTs https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC8088823/

Of the two that found no "significant" effect, ivermectin still showed a positive benefit, and it became a significant benefit when studies with a high potential for bias were included. All of the metas focused on RCTs, ignoring a huge pile of epidemiological data showing a positive benefit.

As the author of ivmmeta notes, it is foolish to focus solely on RCTs when a huge body of epidemiological data exists showing a clear benefit.

"RCTs have a bias against finding an effect for interventions that are widely available — patients that believe they need the intervention are more likely to decline participation and take the intervention. This is illustrated with the extreme example of an RCT showing no significant differences for use of a parachute when jumping from a plane [Yeh]. RCTs for ivermectin are more likely to enroll low-risk participants that do not need treatment to recover, making the results less applicable to clinical practice. This bias is likely to be greater for widely known treatments such as ivermectin. The bias may also be greater in locations where ivermectin is more easily obtained. Note that this bias does not apply to the typical pharmaceutical trial of a new drug that is otherwise unavailable.

Evidence shows that non-RCT trials can also provide reliable results. [Concato] find that well designed observational studies do not systematically overestimate the magnitude of the effects of treatment compared to RCTs. [Anglemyer] summarized reviews comparing RCTs to observational studies and found little evidence for significant differences in effect estimates. [Lee] shows that only 14% of the guidelines of the Infectious Diseases Society of America were based on RCTs. Evaluation of studies relies on an understanding of the study and potential biases. Limitations in an RCT can outweigh the benefits, for example excessive dosages, excessive treatment delays, or Internet survey bias could have a greater effect on results. Ethical issues may also prevent running RCTs for known effective treatments. For more on issues with RCTs see [Deaton, Nichol]"

The precautionary principle dictates that ivermectin should be made available and prescribed, even if it doesn't work at all. This is because the data indicates it might work, and given that it is far safer than any NSAID which people are taking fist fulls of, there is no risk in adding it to a treatment regimen.
 
Why would they be?

If it was so effective and a potential cure for cancer as you claim wouldn't they be ramping up production?
After all, it is the pharmaceutical industry that makes it.

Or do you think it just grows on trees?


That that is the big flaw in the thinking of michalesuede and people like him.

Ivermectin is owned by Merck... a part of Big Pharma. If ivermectin were so damned effective, and if Merck was the ebil "Big Pharma" corporation these people imagine they are, why would they not be packaging it up in pill form and hawking them off at $100 a bottle?
 
That that is the big flaw in the thinking of michalesuede and people like him.

Ivermectin is owned by Merck... a part of Big Pharma. If ivermectin were so damned effective, and if Merck was the ebil "Big Pharma" corporation these people imagine they are, why would they not be packaging it up in pill form and hawking them off at $100 a bottle?

It's not owned by Merck. It's off patent. Anyone can make it. That's why it costs less than a dollar per pill. You can bulk order it from a compounding lab for pennies a pill.
 
Free market capitalism

A subset of people who are anti-vax are right-wing and are also blame Big Pharma's need to make money as their reason for pushing vaccines over Ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine. They don't seem to trust capitalism or the free market very much. I am not sure how to reconcile these notions.
 
A subset of people who are anti-vax are right-wing and are also blame Big Pharma's need to make money as their reason for pushing vaccines over Ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine. They don't seem to trust capitalism or the free market very much. I am not sure how to reconcile these notions.

See Emerson on consistency.
 
ivermectin and putative protease inhibition

The structure of the key component of Paxlovid bound to its target protease has been solved by X-ray crystallography, as opposed to a structure obtained through docking, which is a purely computational technique. The collection of X-ray diffraction data is an objective experiment (one can quibble about the refinement process). I have not found a corresponding x-ray crystallographic structure of ivermectin with this protease. I have not found a study showing the kinetics of protease inhibition from ivermectin (enzyme kinetics is a mature field of study). Until and unless someone points me to such studies, I will no longer call Ivermectin a protease inhibitor (this is a somewhat separate question vs. its effectiveness as a drug). As my other comments have documented, its effects as a treatment against Covid-19 are dubious at best.
 
Last edited:
If you had natural immunity, you wouldn't have gotten it twice. And, you are still ignoring all the other complications and suffering of the disease, including the unknowns of the heart, brain, lung, etc. damage the disease causes.

That's false. First of all, I opted to never test, so I can't conclusively say that I had Covid even once. However, when I got sick in June of '20, the symptoms were unlike anything that I'd had before and consistent with Covid, so it's a reasonable enough assumption that I had Covid. The second time I was sick (which is the only time since then), was in mid November through December of last year when I had mild cold symptoms that was either Rhinovirus, or Omicron variant. If a virus that you previously cleared mutates, then you still have natural immunity to those specific epitopes that did not mutate, or at least enough to mitigate the illness, and that's probably what happened (or I just had a common cold). As far as long Covid, avoiding that is largely a function of early treatment.

A lack of sterilizing immunity is not a logical reason for refusing a vaccine, when, (from - https://www.theatlantic.com/science...izing-immunity-myth-covid-19-vaccines/620023/) "An inoculation that guards marvelously well against disease—offering as much protection as it can—can still end an outbreak."

Uh, if you still think the vaccines, which do not prevent infection, or a "zero-Covid" policy is going to "end this outbreak" for a virus which is endemic, then you're just clowning yourself.

Still, despite your erroneous claims, including your belief in a population culling agenda, it is obvious your conspiracy-tainted thought process makes critical thinking an impossible endeavor for you.

Being content with wading in pig swill and tilting at windmills is not my concept of having been served well, but to each their own.

The only things that matter are my health, prosperity, and not living in fear of a disease with a negligible infection fatality rate. Your innumeracy which causes you to fail to grasp this concept, is evidence of your lack of critical thinking.
 
A subset of people who are anti-vax are right-wing and are also blame Big Pharma's need to make money as their reason for pushing vaccines over Ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine. They don't seem to trust capitalism or the free market very much. I am not sure how to reconcile these notions.

The profit motive combined with intellectual property (patents, proprietary trade secrets) in the US are the primary reason that peer reviewed medical science is largely trash. All of the incentives are to keep you sick and dependent on proprietary meds with numerous side effects that compound your sickness. There is an anti-selection bias in peer-reviewed pharmaceuticals concerning safe and effective yet non-patentable treatments. Other than that recognition, I'm about as red-blooded a capitalist as you can get. Caveat Emptor.

EDIT: Taxpayer sponsored "vaccines", especially combined with heavy handed government mandates, are a poor example of "free market capitalism".
 
Last edited:
Lingering covid effects include brain dysfunction of one kind or another. That could explain the boastful daffiness of some (not naming any names here, I have too many yellow cards in the bank) alleged covid survivors.
 
Lingering covid effects include brain dysfunction of one kind or another. That could explain the boastful daffiness of some (not naming any names here, I have too many yellow cards in the bank) alleged covid survivors.

I'm doing great. Come to Florida and play some poker with me (but please don't stay). Then we will see whose brain is dysfunctional. I will even mask up and keep my distance. Make sure you bring enough cash to make it worthwhile.
 
You know what Ivermectin IS good for??

Horse intestinal parasites. It's excellent for that. Peer-reviewed and proven in the field for years. So if my horse (an I don't have one) gets intestinal parasites (and my non-existent horse doesn't have them), it will probably be the first medication I shall seek out.

But since COVID is not horse intestinal parasite related in any way, let's just say I'm starting out skeptical that Ivermection is going to be a valid treatment.

Convince me that I'm wrong.
In other words, it's good for a horse's ass but only of the equine variety.
 
I'm doing great. Come to Florida and play some poker with me (but please don't stay). Then we will see whose brain is dysfunctional. I will even mask up and keep my distance. Make sure you bring enough cash to make it worthwhile.

I've been to poor trashy old Floridia enough times. It's not the South, probably never was. That combo of snottiness and narcissism is unique to the place.

Poker? Jesus.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom