• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: The Biden Presidency Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it ironic that, after eight years of people insisting that Bush was going to make himself god-emperor and nothing happened, and four more years of people saying Trump was going to make himself god-emperor and nothing happened, the thing that occurs to you is that Biden needs to make himself god-emperor for some reason. Some almost certainly very stupid reason.

This seems like a joke, right?

Bush had his brother and a right wing SCOTUS rat-**** him into the first term by stealing the election, and Trump whipped up a mob of CHUDs to riot when his hare-brained attempts to rig the election results failed.

The modern history of right wing presidencies is one of increasingly overt power grabs and election rigging.
 
Last edited:
To poke at a couple current Texas voting rights things...

New I.D. requirements for ballot applications have resulted in rejections of nearly half of the absentee applications in Travis County, home to the state's capital of Austin. Worse, the state's Secretary of State has yet to issue rules for how County Clerks may legally notify or help the rejected voters to cure their applications in advance of the state's March mid-term primaries. (The application deadline is Feb. 18.)

Many of the rejected applications are from voters that have been voting by mail for years. But the new state law now requires applicants to include either a drivers license number or state I.D. number or the last four digits of their Social Security number on the application. While some don't notice the new requirement and are rejected on that basis, others do include one of those numbers, but are still being rejected! Why? As Democrats had warned when trying to block the bill, the TX law now requires that whichever number a voter uses on their application must match the number on their voter registration form, many of them completed years ago. If the voter includes a drivers license number on their application, for example, but their registration includes a State I.D. number instead -- or no number at all (as is the case with millions of voter registrations in the Lone Star State) -- their applications must now be rejected.

And on the current gerrymander -

Last week, in an op-ed for Washington Post, Li describes the notion that gerrymandering hasn't been too bad for Democrats this year as a "misleading narrative" for a host of reasons. Experts, he notes, had predicted a bunch of safe Democratic seats would be remapped into Republican districts. "They expected Democratic seats to fall," Li explains. "But instead, what Republicans are doing is shoring up the disproportionate advantages they already hold" following the extreme partisan gerrymanders from 2011.

"In Texas, under the old maps, Democrats have 36% of the seats. Under the new maps they have 37% of the seats, so very little change," he tells me by way of just one example. "But the competition is gone. So whereas under the old maps there were competitive districts, under the new maps, even if Democrats got 58% of the vote [across the state], they would still have the same 37% of the seats, which hardly seems fair. Even if Texas turned deep blue, Republicans would have almost a 2-to-1 advantage. That's the perniciousness of the state's gerrymander."
 
What does that have to do with his cognitive abilities?

It has to do with his presidency. He took to the bully pulpit for almost two hours. The fact that he did so without sounding like a literal idiot should be the least significant thing about his speech. Especially with this audience, which didn't doubt his cognitive abilities to begin with.

Besides dispelling the greatly exaggerated rumors of his dementia, was there anything significant in the content of what he had to say?

I framed it in terms of stuff you disagreed with because I figured it would be boring if it was just choir-preaching the whole time, and interesting if he said something of substance that you dissented from.

From which you dissented.

Anyway, the thread is about Biden's presidency. Did his press conference tell you anything about his presidency other than he's mentally okay?
 
It has to do with his presidency. He took to the bully pulpit for almost two hours. The fact that he did so without sounding like a literal idiot should be the least significant thing about his speech. Especially with this audience, which didn't doubt his cognitive abilities to begin with.

Besides dispelling the greatly exaggerated rumors of his dementia, was there anything significant in the content of what he had to say?

I framed it in terms of stuff you disagreed with because I figured it would be boring if it was just choir-preaching the whole time, and interesting if he said something of substance that you dissented from.

From which you dissented.

Anyway, the thread is about Biden's presidency. Did his press conference tell you anything about his presidency other than he's mentally okay?
I confess I did not listen, busy doing other things. You were responding to a statement specifically about his cognitive abilities, so I figured your response was relevant to that.

If I had listened, I imagine I'd find some things to disagree with, because although I think he's sounded a little tougher recently, I find him rather tepid much of the time. I'll likely read about it in tomorrow's paper.
 
I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I have heard the part when he said he was surprised that the Republicans opposed him. That certainly demonstrated something about his ability to comprehend the spectacularly obvious... but not that it's gotten any worse than it already was all along.
 
I confess I did not listen, busy doing other things. You were responding to a statement specifically about his cognitive abilities, so I figured your response was relevant to that.

If I had listened, I imagine I'd find some things to disagree with, because although I think he's sounded a little tougher recently, I find him rather tepid much of the time. I'll likely read about it in tomorrow's paper.

Wait, so you saw this as him passing an endurance test? No idea if he actually passed a coherency test? I'm dubious about claims of his senility, just as I'm dubious about claims that Tucker Carlson has ever actually "destroyed" anyone in an interview. But come on.
 
I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I have heard the part when he said he was surprised that the Republicans opposed him. That certainly demonstrated something about his ability to comprehend the spectacularly obvious... but not that it's gotten any worse than it already was all along.

I gotta figure that's just bog standard politician mendacity. He's still running the moderate, bipartisan Joe playbook.
 
Wait, so you saw this as him passing an endurance test? No idea if he actually passed a coherency test? I'm dubious about claims of his senility, just as I'm dubious about claims that Tucker Carlson has ever actually "destroyed" anyone in an interview. But come on.
I didn't see it as anything. Bob001 made an observation, to which you responded, to which I responded because I did not think your answer very good. Simple as that.
 
I didn't see it as anything. Bob001 made an observation, to which you responded, to which I responded because I did not think your answer very good. Simple as that.

My bad. I confused you with Bob at some point. Sorry about that. Guess maybe I'm the senile one!

Guess my question still stands, too. Maybe Bob will answer it.
 
“I did not anticipate that there would be such a stalwart effort to make sure that the most important thing was that President Biden didn’t get anything done,” Biden said during a press conference on Wednesday, the day before his one-year anniversary in office.

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-admits-didn-t-anticipate-223000722.html

I don't see how saying this makes Biden look like anything but a rube.

For that matter, I really don't think he or his administration are this stupid, and I don't think this is true. Biden got a front row seat to the same strategy used against Obama.

I would believe that they weren't prepared for such intransigence from within their own party, neutering their own majority though.

I guess this is an attempt to blame the GOP for the dysfunction of the Biden admin caused by Manchin and Sinema.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom