Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
Seriously, go read some basic geology first to get an understanding of the structure of the planet.
Stop trolling. You know perfectly well I was responding to someone else's post.
Seriously, go read some basic geology first to get an understanding of the structure of the planet.
I don't even know where to begin with this one...
There is more to the idea of South America fitting against West Africa than just the visuals on a map. Wegener may have started off with that, but he didn't have the data subsequently acquired, which gives much more information.
The "missing continent" and "Atlantis" bit is purest nonsense, given the hundreds of millions of years involved, long before primates evolved and there being no possible way humans could have known that until the recent geological modelling. "Missing" in and of itself is pretty nonsensical anyway.
Really, have you ever looked at some basic geology?
Stop trolling. You know perfectly well I was responding to someone else's post.
No. Antarctica is not an especially big continent. That plus Australia plus most of South America plus a relatively low fraction of Africa does not outweigh the combination of Eurasia, North America, most of Africa, and a fragment of South America. In fact it's about a ratio of 2:1, a wide enough difference to easily see by eye.
North
South
It would still be true that the northern hemisphere has most of the crust's conspicuously thick area and the southern hemisphere has most of its conspicuously thin area.
Which is comparable to sandpaper grit that can be felt by your fingers and is not as smooth as a billiard ball:As I've pointed out in message #36, at the scale of a 57mm billiard ball, Mt Everest would be a 40 micron imperfection.
A regulation pool ball must not have imperfections of more then +/- 0.005 inches, which means 127 microns. That's over 3 times bigger.
That's looks intuitively probable, given that the silhouette of South America seems to fit that of the West Coast of Africa like a jigsaw. It is likely there has been continental drift but the prediction of 'what it will look like in 250 million years' is just one person's hypothesis.
It also buys into the idea that if all the land mass once fit together like a jigsaw puzzle then it becomes apparent where the idea of a 'missing continent' comes from [Atlantis] as there appears to be one jigsaw missing in that spot.
Which is comparable to sandpaper grit that can be felt by your fingers and is not as smooth as a billiard ball:
https://www.grainger.com/know-how/equipment-information/kh-sandpaper-grit-chart
Centrifugal force from the earth's spin? I don't see how heavier rocks are thrown further outwards than the lighter ones? Do the continents float?
a) so melted glaciers have made only an insignificant contribution to sea rise?
I meant it was coincidence they were more in the north at this moment in time.
What's it coincidental with?
I have actually. I note you haven't attempted to answer the OP except to hint at some kind of special expertise in 'geology' and 'tectonic plates' whilst failing to answer the question.
What's it coincidental with?
Random tangentially related anecdote:
When I was in school - primary school to us but Americans would say elementary school - there was a series of posters on the wall of one of the classrooms which illustrated what the world would look like if it were a different shape. There were "What if the world were a cube?" "What if the world were a torus?" "What if the world were a tetrahedron?", etc. With artist's impressions of what it would look like.
One of these was "What if the world were Wegeneroidal?" This one was the only one with a footnote, saying "(conforming to Wegener's theory of continental drift)" The illustration showed continents with big cracks between them.
And this was as late as the 70s, when plate tectonics had been basically confirmed. I don't know how old they were at the time, but they didn't look particularly old. I thought it was amusing that the idea of continental drift was considered equally as outlandish as the idea that the world was a cube, or a torus.