marting
Illuminator
- Joined
- Sep 18, 2003
- Messages
- 4,311
Estimating air volume in the RV. You know, gas law. Liters per mol at STP. Getting the ratios by combustion products. Stuff I did on occasion as a kid making homemade rockets. Never made bombs except one "rocket" that failed. Not interested in bombs.Ah, that's reasonable.
OK, what calculation did you do?
Most any bomb material could have been powerful enough to do the damage inflicted. It damaged several fairly flimsy buildings. And from a strictly energy perspective propane is much more energy dense than most explosives on a pound for pound basis. Energy density isn't the key to most explosives, they key is getting all the energy released quickly.
That's my impression as well. There are some things the guy would have had to have done right. Not going into details but I'm pretty sure the guy could have figured it out. I don't see it as necessary at all for him to have had to "experiment" somewhere first which the former FBI guy seems to think would have been necessary.
But yeah, this isn't exactly high explosive tech. High explosives are far more effective close in. Over a bit of distance they converge to just overpressure wavefronts which correlate to the initial energy. So consistent with the damage.
But then I'm just looking at if from the physics involved.