whoanellie
Graduate Poster
- Joined
- Apr 4, 2012
- Messages
- 1,475
Warrants are signed everyday based on the word of far less credible informants. This isn't even close to a grey zone to my eye. If the cops wanted to search, a judge would have given them a warrant.
The simplest explanation is that the cops were lazy. The guy didn't answer the door when they knocked, and that was all the effort they were willing to put into this.
I agree with the hilited. None of us were there to observe the girlfriend's demeanor and hear exactly what she said. None of us know exactly what the lawyer said. Given the little information we have I can't say whether the police should have pursued this further but I do believe that the police could have obtained a warrant and that the warrant would have withstood any subsequent scrutiny by the courts.