• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

2020 Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local story about a guy who punched two poll workers after he was not allowed to vote because he didn't have an ID.

Given the location, I'm suggesting it is NOT a Biden supporter.
 
Heh, guess a guy shot a couple other guys because his lawn signs were stolen. They were questioned and released. This is Topeka which is pretty Klan controlled I think.
 
Brit here. What would it take for that to happen, to remove an ammendment?

It depends what's meant by the phrase. Trump is obviously using a shorthand to connote a more complex* or complete idea. More on that in a moment.

If you take it literally at face value, then removing an amendment is essentially just amending the constitution to supersede it. This requires either a majority of the federal legislature signing off on it, or a majority of state legislatures signing off on it, followed by a majority of states ratifying it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artic...le:Constitutional_amendment_process_(USA).png

But more than likely it's referring to the fear, held by some, that their Second Amendment rights will be eroded by legislation, executive order, and court rulings. The Amendment itself won't go anywhere, but it will be progressively gutted. Similar to how state's rights have been progressively gutted by court interpretations of the Commerce Clause, or how people fear that abortion rights will be gutted by legislative and judicial maneuvers.
 
Prohibition was part of the constitution !? Damn !
Just about the only way they could make it effect the entire country. And even though the 21st amendment repealed it, it still allowed for states and conties to retain prohibition, which is why you'll still find dry counties in the Deep South and the Bible Belt.
 
Prohibition was part of the constitution !? Damn !

You have to understand that essentially the United States is 50 distinct countries and outside of some very broad, very basic things in the original Constitution a Constitutional Amendment is required to make all the states do anything.
 
Just about the only way they could make it effect the entire country. And even though the 21st amendment repealed it, it still allowed for states and conties to retain prohibition, which is why you'll still find dry counties in the Deep South and the Bible Belt.

As well as countless "Blue Laws" and other assorted nonsense.

Everytime you travel in the US it's "Can I buy a beer on Sunday? Can I buy hard liquor without going to a state run store?"
 
I would not be at all surprised by a quick Trump consession... not just because I don't think he really wants to stay President, but also because, even if he does, he's been hearing everybody say he definitely won't do it, and would see doing it as a way to prove them wrong.
 
"It is indeed fading away, because you can't have a scandal if nobody writes about it" -- Trump has spent a good chunk of his speech in Fayetteville whining that the media isn't covering Hunter Biden's emails to his liking
 
The true threat? Lol

My attitude about this country is a reaction to what the other side has done to it.
Given the fact that every single one of your accusations against the other side is yet another lie, that doesn't do much to make you seem more sane.
 
That is the biggest motivation for the post-fact world.

People are just so damn mad over the fact that when you are wrong about literally everything people stop listening to you.
 
Local story about a guy who punched two poll workers after he was not allowed to vote because he didn't have an ID.

Given the location, I'm suggesting it is NOT a Biden supporter.

Maybe a case of a Republican disenfranchised by his own party.
 
You have to understand that essentially the United States is 50 distinct countries and outside of some very broad, very basic things in the original Constitution a Constitutional Amendment is required to make all the states do anything.


That's not really true. The Supreme Court has held that numerous state laws are invalid because they are unconstitutional, Brown and Roe being two examples. State court decisions can be appealed to the federal level. And every state gets huge amounts of money from the federal government, conditional on complying with federal conditions. If federal law makes something a crime, the states can't overrule them. The states can't ignore the federal restrictions on some kinds of firearms. In all the states that have legalized marijuana, growers, sellers and users could still be prosecuted under federal law, even if the feds aren't doing it now. A federal law prohibiting abortion might be unlikely, but if it was passed there couldn't be state exceptions.
 
Last edited:
Historically, when Trump has lost at something, he's declared bankruptcy, bumbled on to the next thing, and talked bigly about how about how yuge of a win he had.

I expect more of the same here.
 
Don't know if he'll win the popular vote, probably not. After all, there's been a very deliberate and very successful effort to expand the citizenry to include a ton of people who have no business being here and reliably vote against what the legacy Americans desire.
I believe he lost the popular vote in 2016 and probably will again.

He's a disappointment in many ways but I still hope he wins. I also would approve of any and all methods of maintaining power no matter the election outcome. The whole country is no longer legitimate, and from here on out I am in favor of my side winning by whatever means. As in, if he can pull some sort of lawyer maneuvers, bring the ballots into question, whatever - I say go for it.

Welcome to democracy.

Hans
 
Historically, when Trump has lost at something, he's declared bankruptcy, bumbled on to the next thing, and talked bigly about how about how yuge of a win he had.

I expect more of the same here.

Historically his losses haven't carried the weight of more than 1 state run criminal\civil trial moving forward when he's done as POTUS. I'd say this one might be slightly different for him.
 
Historically, when Trump has lost at something, he's declared bankruptcy, bumbled on to the next thing, and talked bigly about how about how yuge of a win he had.

I expect more of the same here.

Curious. Do you expect him to lose, or are you describing his reaction if he loses?
 
It is weird to see someone so unabashedly racist posting in this forum, right?

I think we really need to stress how mainstream that poster’s odious opinions have become among Republicans.

We have underestimated these sociopaths for far too long.
 
Historically, when Trump has lost at something, he's declared bankruptcy, bumbled on to the next thing, and talked bigly about how about how yuge of a win he had.

I expect more of the same here.

In the past, Trump was allowed to Pass Go and collect $200 instead of going to Prison because his creditors expected him to make him more money in the future than what they would have by foreclosing on him.

Trump tried to cash in on being President, and yet his net worth has plummeted in the past years. His prize possession, the Washington Hotel, won't be worth much when it can no longer get occupancy from those who need to get on Trump's good side.

I don't see any upside lenders to let Trump keep on wasting their money.
 
I would not be at all surprised by a quick Trump consession... not just because I don't think he really wants to stay President, but also because, even if he does, he's been hearing everybody say he definitely won't do it, and would see doing it as a way to prove them wrong.

I, on the other hand, will be astounded if there is EVER a Trump concession. If he lives to 100, his dying words will be that the election was a fraud. Even if he wins it.
 
He's still not over the election he won. I'm not holding my breath for him to get over the election he loses.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom