acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Dec 14, 2012
- Messages
- 40,983
The manner (how) seems a little relevant.
Only to those attempting suppress the vote.
The manner (how) seems a little relevant.
The ploy might work. There's a certain degree of legal logic to it. I would hope, though, that a judge would consider a whole bigger picture and decide that the ballots were cast according to the law, which includes declarations of the executive branch, as opposed to some blind reading of the law. Perhaps it is true that the clerk had no authority to change the rules, but what is the proper remedy? I would hope that throwing out ballots wouldn't be chosen as the way to fix the problem.
However, as you note, it's a partisan judge. Unfortunately, I think we'll see a lot of that this year. It's very disturbing. I hesitate to talk about all the possible hypotheticals that could plague this election, because some of them are not just bad, but are actually the sort of bad that results in riots and civil unrest. I never thought that could happen in America, but until this year I never even considered it as a possibility.
Section 64.009. VOTER UNABLE TO ENTER POLLING PLACE.
(a) If a voter is physically unable to enter the polling place without personal assistance or likelihood of injuring the voter’s health, on the
voter’s request, an election officer shall deliver a ballot to the voter at the polling place entrance or curb.
(b) The regular voting procedures may be modified by the election officer to the extent necessary to conduct voting under this section.
(c) After the voter is accepted for voting, the voter shall mark the ballot and give it to the election officer who shall deposit it in the ballot box.
(d) On the voter’s request, a person accompanying the voter shall be permitted to select the voter’s ballot and deposit the ballot in the ballot box.
Especially if you are a republican facing a possible Democrat victory.The manner (how) seems a little relevant.
This has already gone through the Texas Supreme Course in two cases and the Court ruled to allow the drive-through voting. Now they are looking for a third chance in the Federal courts. It's going to be a tough sell to the Federal court at this late date and no real possibility for remedy to recollect the votes and with the drive-through already approved by the Texas Supreme Court and Secretary of State.
Shy to pollsters. A big flag on their truck does not mean a person answers a survey.
A Trump voter is much less likely to respond honestly (or at all) to a political poll. From what I have seen, there are quite a few 'poll punkers' as well.
Trump constantly call the polls 'fake', unless he likes them, so this should not be any surprise to anyone. Polling is really hard to do this year, no matter how they think they have corrected it.
Yes, but they drew a Trump toady as the judge this time. So no surprise if he decides the day before election day that 100,000 people's votes are invalid and watcha gonna do about it, snowflake?
What is the evidence and why would they be “shy to pollsters”?
Especially if you are a republican facing a possible Democrat victory.
I hope they do toss the votes, and Biden wins anyway. Then he can say the real proportion who voted for him was much higher - just like Trump did, but this time it will be a fact.
They are funding every voter suppression tactic they can in swing states.
Ginger is correct. Trump didn't get where he is by spending his own money. The Republican Party and groups like ALEC will be happy to do it for him in order to stay in power.
I keep hearing about huge turnout of younger people. I'll believe it after a full analysis of the election. They never turnout.
But if I lived in any of these states where there are huge lines for early voting I would find out who is responsible for causing those long lines and vote them out. I live in Washington State and no one has to wait even to drop a ballot off in secure ballot boxes.
Nope - I'm not buying it.
If it were a Dubbya-type close contest, sure, but it's not going to be.
Yes, they will spend money trying to suppress votes, but when it's clear he's been whipped like Michael Spinks by Mike Tyson, they will ditch him and they sure as hell won't waste any more money.
They may have written off Trump, but they need the Senate. If they can maintain control they'll be able to neutralize Biden the way they did Obama. We're going to see every dirty trick they've got pulled out to help in down-ballot races.Trump will want to cling on to the death, but where is the incentive for the GOP to do so as a whole? There isn’t any. They have lost elections before and they know what it means that they don’t get to win this time around but why are they going to risk establishing a dictatorship for the sake of Donald ******* Trump?
I don’t doubt that he will try various things such as p-hacking the vote but as The Atheist points out, unless it is a close thing like 2000 in Florida, there is no worthwhile reward for completely making a mockery of the election.
They may have written off Trump, but they need the Senate. If they can maintain control they'll be able to neutralize Biden the way they did Obama. We're going to see every dirty trick they've got pulled out to help in down-ballot races.
I could not understand those people who waited hours in line to do early voting on the first day. It's not exactly a social event, worthy of bragging rights, or something like a movie premiere.
Nope - I'm not buying it.
If it were a Dubbya-type close contest, sure, but it's not going to be.
Yes, they will spend money trying to suppress votes, but when it's clear he's been whipped like Michael Spinks by Mike Tyson, they will ditch him and they sure as hell won't waste any more money.
I think the "shy Republican" hypothesis had some merit in 2016. [...] I don't think that is the case in 2020. Trump is now the crazy President and not just some crazy guy. But there may still be a slight favor for Trump among the undecided. That group may include a lot of Republicans who hate Trump. Some may actually vote for Biden. Some may go third party. But when the pencil hits the ballot, I bet most most stick with their party and land on Trump.