I am not going to read some essay over it
It was a simple question
Individual women may have their individual reasons, but in general? IMO it's a mindless herd thing. They do it coz they do it. They do it coz they don't stop to think why they're doing it.
Me, I find make-up, and especially loud make-up, a put off. Lipstick on a pig thing. If you're a looker, you'll look good with good normal grooming. If you're not, then you'll only look silly if you try to mask that.
This is at a personal level. On TV or the movies or a photoshoot or a public appearance from afar, sure, it can work. For women, as well as men, if skillfully done (should someone want to). But girl I'm with, I'll only be repelled if she comes at me daubed in paint, even if that daubing is subtly done. (If it's so subtle I don't even notice it, then that's something I can't speak to!)
Fortunately my GF agrees with my theory. And fortunately she's one of those that don't need it in the first place.
Like with most stereotypes, half of it, no most of it, is in your own mind, more than anything else. Man, woman, trans, whatever, just do your thing. Wear the war paint if you want to, not just because it's the done thing. I'm sure a good many women will find they don't really want to.