I think "stinky, poisonous, dust" is really a wild exaggeration.
The White House is stinky, poisonous, dust, but the White House is not my world.
I look around my lily white suburb and I see "Black Lives Matter" signs in every direction. Regardless of what you or anyone thinks of Black Lives Matter, whether you agree or disagree with the movement, their organizers, or their aims, I think the fact that a bunch of white people are expressing solidarity with a bunch of black people shows that things are not so bad. I can still buy food, and so can my unemployed friends. Things are not all that bad. Even if Trump gets another four years, it's a problem we'll get past.
I think it's bad that we have elected someone with such an incredible disregard for science, and even for reality, that even with the best advisors in the world available, and even after experiencing the disease first hand, that he could declare that this disease is really a lot like the flu, which 100,000 people die from. (It hasn't happened in a very long time, including swine flu of a few years ago.) That's bad. However, the great thing about the United States is that the President doesn't have ultimate power, so as bad as he is, he can't turn the rest of the world into stinky, poisonous, dust.
There are still plenty of good people in the world, and they are still doing plenty of good things. The country is still mostly free, and a lot of efforts to make it worse still mostly get the thumbs down.
It's not so bad.
From the viewpoint of your relatively privileged station in your comfortable enough community, based on what you experience directly, I guess it's not so bad. Perhaps if you could walk in the shoes of some who enjoy no such comfort.
Don't let provincial, isolated thinking lull you into complacency. "It can't happen here" is a dangerous mindset. Discovered too frequently to the comfortable classes in too many societies throughout history where inimical forces were perceived too late.