• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump and Melania test positive test positive for Covid 19

A serious question, who pays Trump's medical bills? I mean, does the President have insurance as part of his job? Is the US government his insurer? Is that a job perk that he didn't accept, in the same way as his salary was something he didn't accept, so he's self insured?

The President receives free health care and prescription drugs. Former presidents are entitled to medical treatment in military hospitals, paying at rates set by the OMB. The type of Federal health insurance they are eligible for depends on how long they served and how long they were on certain Federal health plans.

The President also chooses the Physician to the President (AKA the White House doctor). Another agency assigns a Director of the White House Medical Unit (which may or may not be the same person as the Physician to the President). A full medical staff travels with the President at all times. Air Force One has at least one hospital room with capabilities to perform surgery.

The primary care facility for the President is Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Walter Reed has a section called the "President Zone". This includes the Presidential Suite, which occupies one floor of the hospital. The military has not released much information about this suite. There are some old photos and floor plans, but the recent video and photos of Trump are probably the only publicly available contemporary images of the suite. It appears to include at least one hospital room, at least one office, a conference room, at least one (and probably more) bedroom, a dining room, and a sitting room. It has special security and secure communications to accommodate the President.

The protocol for use of the suite does not appear to be publicly available, but it appears other high level administration officials may use the suite (if not needed for the President). A report from the 1970s says the existing suite at the time had been occupied only 21 days out of 22 months. The President basically has a huge luxury suite at the hospital dedicated to his care.

I'm assuming that the doctors still keep track of treatments and issue bills, even for the President. Where do they send the bill?

I don't know how the billing works. There probably isn't billing in a conventional sense, but I would certainly expect there is a full accounting of costs. It probably goes on the Walter Reed budget. That may be compensated by some other fund, which may in turn go on another budget and possibly another fund. Ultimately the costs would be covered by Treasury funds.

It's not an important question, but I am curious about it, and it's not 100% irrelevant. If he wants an experimental medical treatment, does it have to be approved, in any sense of the word? If I want that, the doctors would say, "Ok, but insurance won't cover it." Would that also be true of the President?

The President's health care is free, so insurance doesn't come into it. If the President wants an experimental treatment, he's probably going to get it. This is a military hospital caring for the commander-in-chief and President of the United States. If a treatment isn't approved, he can probably approve it for himself or have someone in his administration do that. If the President asks for a treatment, he is probably going to get it unless it is obviously dangerous like asking for bleach or UV light to be injected into his lungs or something stupid and crazy like that.
 
"I've learned a lot about Covid. I've really gone to school."

five minutes later

*makes several other humans get into a small sealed container with him so he can wave at people*
 
The most depressing thing about this whole situation is that if and when Trump recovers (and sadly, there is a reasonable chance of that happening) he will have learned absolutely nothing and will be completely unchanged in regards to fighting this pandemic on behalf of the ordinary citizen...even if those on his staff become gravely ill or even die
 
No. And make it clear that every day citizens don't get the care POTUS does. If ever there was a time to sell the dangers of COVID, now is it. No one is immune. The virus doesn't care if you think it is a hoax...showing Trump and maybe the audio of him saying it. Then end it with the number who have caught it and number dead and maybe a clip of him talking about how people don't want to wear the mask and cut in video of people sick and on gurneys.
The latter part of your comment - I think it would be kind of ham-fisted. I hope someone says it, but preferably not the Biden campaign. Lincoln Project, maybe. Biden could just do this obliquely - "something like "Check www.cdc.gov for the latest science." Hell, the federal government should have already been doing this for months. Maybe they have and I just missed it. Not a TV watcher. I occasionally listen to talk radio and haven't heard anything like that.
 
"I've learned a lot about Covid. I've really gone to school."

five minutes later

*makes several other humans get into a small sealed container with him so he can wave at people*

To add after the first line -

"And not book learning."

I almost thought he was going to segue into his "now I know more than the doctors" spiel.
 
The most depressing thing about this whole situation is that if and when Trump recovers (and sadly, there is a reasonable chance of that happening) he will have learned absolutely nothing and will be completely unchanged in regards to fighting this pandemic on behalf of the ordinary citizen...even if those on his staff become gravely ill or even die

He'd probably learn nothing even if Melania dies of it.

In fact, it would probably be a bonus. She's way too old for him.
 
I forgot to mention yesterday that I think that while Biden should say he's taking down all negative attack ads he shouldn't actually do it. Just as long as he has plausible deniability.
Biden/Harris don't really run negative ads. That's the PACs. The candidates can't control the PACs.
 
The latter part of your comment - I think it would be kind of ham-fisted. I hope someone says it, but preferably not the Biden campaign. Lincoln Project, maybe. Biden could just do this obliquely - "something like "Check www.cdc.gov for the latest science." Hell, the federal government should have already been doing this for months. Maybe they have and I just missed it. Not a TV watcher. I occasionally listen to talk radio and haven't heard anything like that.

COVID is a loser issue for Trump.

Trump is likely to recover. He will undoubtedly try and use his recovery to downplay COVID. It's important not to let him. It's the third quarter of a football game and your up by 3 touchdowns. Now is not the time to ease up and let him back in the game. Now is the time to finish him.
 
I don't think I've ever been this mad in all of Trump's presidency. I just donated another $100 to the Biden campaign. If I had people in my employ whose job it was, if someone tried to shoot me, to jump in front of me and put their bodies between the gunman and mine, I'd like to think I'd treat them with a little more reverence and respect than what I just saw. That was despicable, immoral, unconscionable and vile. He has a contagious illness that is potentially lethal and he exposed his detail to it for nothing more than to sooth his own ego. It makes me sick just to look at the man.
 
The President receives free health care and prescription drugs.

....

The President's health care is free, so insurance doesn't come into it. If the President wants an experimental treatment, he's probably going to get it. This is a military hospital caring for the commander-in-chief and President of the United States. If a treatment isn't approved, he can probably approve it for himself or have someone in his administration do that. If the President asks for a treatment, he is probably going to get it unless it is obviously dangerous like asking for bleach or UV light to be injected into his lungs or something stupid and crazy like that.

Ok. It sounds like somewhere in the federal budget or in the budgets of various subentities, like Walter Reed, there is a "care for the President" line item, and the doctors who do that sort of thing enter the charge code for "Presidential care" when they do that work. So they probabily don't itemize procedures and supplies the way they would for a regular patient. They just have a certain amount of supplies available in the Presidential Zone. If they need something else, like Remsedivir (sp?), they order it and charge it to a Presidential Care charge number, and whatever administrator signs off on the expenses signs it, and orders more supplies if necessary, and from there it works like a regular company. Some people approve. Some people are authorized to change the budget allocations. Whatever.
 
Biden/Harris don't really run negative ads. That's the PACs. The candidates can't control the PACs.

A couple of Biden’s ads have been critical of Trumps handling of COVID-19. Haven’t seen them running this weekend.

Trumps attack ads have still been going.
 
I don't think I've ever been this mad in all of Trump's presidency. I just donated another $100 to the Biden campaign. If I had people in my employ whose job it was, if someone tried to shoot me, to jump in front of me and put their bodies between the gunman and mine, I'd like to think I'd treat them with a little more reverence and respect than what I just saw. That was despicable, immoral, unconscionable and vile. He has a contagious illness that is potentially lethal and he exposed his detail to it for nothing more than to sooth his own ego. It makes me sick just to look at the man.

My hat is off to you for donating to Biden's campaign and I commend you for it but I heard that at this point, the Biden campaign has more money than they know what to do with at the moment.
 
I don't think I've ever been this mad in all of Trump's presidency. I just donated another $100 to the Biden campaign. If I had people in my employ whose job it was, if someone tried to shoot me, to jump in front of me and put their bodies between the gunman and mine, I'd like to think I'd treat them with a little more reverence and respect than what I just saw. That was despicable, immoral, unconscionable and vile. He has a contagious illness that is potentially lethal and he exposed his detail to it for nothing more than to sooth his own ego. It makes me sick just to look at the man.

While I don't disagree.......

I wonder if it's possible that the limo staff for this joy ride was selected from only people who had already had Covid, and were presumed to be immune?

That would require more thought than I would expect from Trump, but it wouldn't be impossible to do, and someone among the staff might think of it.
 
COVID is a loser issue for Trump.

Trump is likely to recover. He will undoubtedly try and use his recovery to downplay COVID. It's important not to let him. It's the third quarter of a football game and your up by 3 touchdowns. Now is not the time to ease up and let him back in the game. Now is the time to finish him.
I agree, but don't want anything that could potentially backfire. Some supporters are probably just now learning that whoops, this can be serious!

Has anyone heard public-service ads from the CDC? Ever? The Deep State is saving Trump's life.

There is a narcissist who does YouTube videos on narcissism. He said that there is one thing that can make a difference in a malignant narcissist: aging. I won't link, he's kind of a crank, but something about having to admit to themselves they are vulnerable. Don't think that will happen here but could Trump actually be *humbled* by this experience?

Either way, time for the coup de grâce, but I'm worried Joe could **** this up, as someone who loves him once said. But then, Biden listens to reason, so maybe not.
 
He'd probably learn nothing even if Melania dies of it.



In fact, it would probably be a bonus. She's way too old for him.
Never ceases to amaze me how truely nasty and catish the left can be, while simultaneously trying to take a moral high ground.

It is pretty funny.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom