• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Trans Women are not Women 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because you posted a straw man version of what I said, rather than what I actually said.

So why do you think there is a push-back against medical professionals using precise terminology?

How many of those women were clinicians?

Why is that relevant? Neither the CNN article nor the American Cancer Society websites we've been discussing are directed at clinicians
 
So why do you think there is a push-back against medical professionals using precise terminology?

Because I've seen it in this thread, just a couple of pages ago.

Why is that relevant? Neither the CNN article nor the American Cancer Society websites we've been discussing are directed at clinicians

The American Cancer Society guidelines are for clinicians, published in a journal for clinicians. The CNN article is reporting on the guidelines for clinicians, published in a journal for clinicians.
 
Because I've seen it in this thread, just a couple of pages ago.

Why you think that is?

The American Cancer Society guidelines are for clinicians, published in a journal for clinicians. The CNN article is reporting on the guidelines for clinicians, published in a journal for clinicians.

The links and articles I've posted from those sources are for public consumption
 
My only objection to the language in the journal article is that it's rather awkward. Were I the author, I would have simply stated towards the beginning (and possible repeated at the start of certain sections) that for the context of this paper, men refers to _____ or women refers to _____.

I was taught in technical writing to use the simplest, most commonly understood terminology and sentence structure possible. Since then, however, I've run across a few people who used a thesaurus while writing to find the most obscure words possible. One actually told me that if his writing was difficult to understand, it made him appear to be more of an expert.
 
Ditch the bickering, please.
Replying to this modbox in thread will be off topic  Posted By: Agatha
 
Anecdote alert : the one known trans person I've met in my life sported pretty much that same look. Beard was a bit more scraggly and hair far less clean. But the general appearance was of zero attempt to look feminine in any (currently) conventional way, yet they demanded to be referred to as 'she'. Given the circumstances and location of the encounter I didn't do any questioning or pressing of the subject and just tried to avoid it entirely.

There was no 'lets talk makeup!' or the like as with the ad, but the outward presentation was the same as in the pic. Having it turn out to be genuine and not a troll would not surprise me.
 
I don't even know what to say anymore. I am genuinely fine with people dressing and acting however they want to. While I don't personally give a crap, I'll try to use whatever pronoun a person likes for the sake of courtesy.

But this... this is beyond my ability to bend rationality. I am not capable of perceiving that person as a woman. i'm just not. It can't be done. Every single thing about that person indicates that they are male.

I feel a lot of sympathy and sorrow for young lesbians out there in this environment, when they're being told that a male-presenting person with a penis is just as much a lesbian as they are... and being demanded to accept them as such for fear of being labeled a "transphobe".

WTF is wrong with people that they insist the entire world should conform to their desires?
 
I don't even know what to say anymore. I am genuinely fine with people dressing and acting however they want to. While I don't personally give a crap, I'll try to use whatever pronoun a person likes for the sake of courtesy.
....
WTF is wrong with people that they insist the entire world should conform to their desires?


It's cases like this one that make me wonder about "for the sake of courtesy".


When a person looks like that, and has no intention to transition, but insists on being called a woman, is it courteous to indulge that? Is it courteous of him....or...her...or......something......to expect it.

If that person is a woman, then the word "woman" has no meaning.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom