Belz...
Fiend God
I think the stereotypes have more to do with gender expression (and perception) than gender identity.
This gender thing is getting more murky and complicated by the minute!
I think the stereotypes have more to do with gender expression (and perception) than gender identity.
Cis-women (and men) may see the stereotypes as limiting and sexist, but I suspect that they provide utility to the trans community.
Watching people dance around the subject while trying to stay on the moral high ground with this but at the end of the day this is just gender stereotyping again, putting a bunch of rules on how men and women are supposed to act.
There's a difference between a prescriptive and descriptive definition that you seem oblivious of.
The entire concept of "transgendered" is based open the existence of gender and sexual stereotypes reserved for use by only one subculture.
I don't think this is true. It is fairly easy to imagine a society in which women and men are expected to wear the same clothes, be equally assertive, be equally empathetic, etc. but in which some people nevertheless experience dysphoria wrt to the shape and form of their bodies (e.g. secondary sex characteristics).
If Person A says "I'm a biological man, but I identity (partially or completely) as a woman because of Factor X" and we accept that as valid then everyone who goes "Women need to have Factor X to be 'real women'" has to be accepted as 100% valid.
The difference between experiencing gender dysphoriaWP and not experiencing it seems fairly significant to me. If Buck Angel doesn't have that painful sense of dissonance these days, I'm happy for him.If the difference doesn't make a difference, it's doesn't make a difference.
So how exactly does acknowledging a descriptive definition of woman mean we have to acknowledge a prescriptive definition of woman?
I don't follow you. In fact it makes no sense. Swedish law requires that those who seek to legally change their sex "act in a manner that conforms to their desired gender identity" yet at no point does the law proscribe what that entails. In other words, judges use a very broad descriptive definition of what that actually means.
It seems to me that when a description is legally endorsed, it effectively becomes a prescription in all future cases.
Except when it does not. It's determined on a individual "case-by-case" basis so there's no precedent in sense that previous decisions affect future ones.
Trans women are women for all purposes except X, Y, Z but there's some debate on what those letters signify....I can't be bothered to read and re-read through all of these threads. What is the consensus view?
The difference between experiencing gender dysphoriaWP and not experiencing it seems fairly significant to me. If Buck Angel doesn't have that painful sense of dissonance these days, I'm happy for him.
I think differences between the sexes would suffice, as I said above.And my point is you can't have gender dysphoria without differences in the genders.
Again I know "But it's complicated (in a way that will literally never be explained)."
I think differences between the sexes would suffice, as I said above/
No, this part is relatively simple. If you are profoundly uneasy and dissatisfied with your body because it looks/feels like the body of a man or a woman, then you may be suffering from a mismatch between your body and your sense of self.
Not according to the DSM, no.You could put any objective factor in there and it would be equally valid.
Presumably because evolution adapted us to be one sex or the other, whereas we diverged from our common ancestor with unicorns quite a while back.None of those are this. Why?
Trans women are women for all purposes except X, Y, Z but there's some debate on what those letters signify.
I see what you're saying and it definitely makes sense to me. However, it seems like there's substantial disagreement, from individual to individual, about the bounds, sources, and choices to be made about when something is someone's call.
So it seems useful in principle, but I have a lot of confusion and doubt about how to use it in practice. Can you give a practical example of how you use this framework to resolve a debate about whose call something should be?
Based on my answer to Damion's question, who do you think should make the call on admitting tranwswomen into women's sports?